Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 3 Redskins Superbowl Moments

skins island connection

With all due respect, Yahoo sucks. That goes without saying.

After waiting and going through Yahoo's top Superbowl moments, it left me shaking my head in disbelief.

Seeing the likes of entertainers making it higher on the list than actual big plays in Superbowls only further fed my angst of today's society and how wannabe entertainers are inserted into something so sacred as a Superbowl, BUT, it did lead me to give it a little brainstorming, and some commentary to boot.

So, I thought about how other ESers felt about their own personal favorites in Redskins Superbowls.

Here's mine.

1.Personally, I think I speak for most, hands down #1 of all-time is john riggings 4th & 1 from the 43 against Miami in SB XVII. It had everything; drama, an almost desperation-esque 4th down play which may have sealed the fate emotionally for the Redskins, but th' Diesel busting through, shoving down little ol' McNeil [ I think ] and running into glory and NFL history.

Here's where it begins to differ with some.

2. Williams, to Clark....TOUCHDOWN !!!!  SB XXII. The touchdown that put the Redskins ahead for good against Denver. After a sluggish 1st quarter, watching the Broncos jump out to a 10-0 lead, an earlier bomb from Williams to Sanders blew up Denver's secondary, but the touchdown to Clark was the emotional boost the team needed, as I jumped outta my seat screaming Hell Yea, beer flying everywhere, and hearing the crowd in the stadium erupt with cheer.

3. Personal favorite, Kurt Gouveia's interception on the first play of the 2nd half in SB XXVI.

Both teams came outta the locker rooms ready to play the 2nd half to determine who will be the Superbowl champions, with Buffalo getting the ball first. With Buffalo backed up close to their endzone, Jim Kelly threw an ill-advised pass which Kurt undercut and picked off, running down to the 3 yd line, where Riggs drove another nail in Buffalo's coffin, bringing the score to 24-0.

So, what are your choices for top 3 Superbowl moments? Which play, scoring or not, brought you to your feet, screaming and throwing beer?

So, what are your choices for top 3 Superbowl moments? Which play, scoring or not, brought you to your feet, screaming and throwing beer?

Rocket Screen, but for the wrong reasons :angry:

SB 17:  Riggo's run will be the iconic SB play for Skins fans, but the last TD when Charlie Brown catches it and gets pushed out of the side of the end zone signified the game was over and the Skins would get their first Lombardi.  And while it wasn't necessarily a favorite moment, you can't complete mentioning that game without giving props to Joey T batting the ball out of Kim Bokamper's paws that would've put the Dolphins up by 11.

SB 22: The 80-yard TD pass to Sanders showed we had a pulse, but to me, Timmy Smith's long TD run showed the rout was on.

SB 26: The aforementioned Gouveia play set up the TD that made it 24-0, but then Buffalo scored 10 points and made me nervous. The Skins O answered with a 30-yard Rypien-to-Clark strike that almost looked identical to the play that really put the Lions away two weeks earlier.  I felt safe after that.

Gotta mention that it was funny listening to Czaban recount his personal experience of watching SB 22 at college in California. His roommates were giving him the business all week about how Denver was going to win and the trash talking became even worse when Denver went up 10-0. But then the Skins started dropping bombs and Czaban returned it twofold to the point where one of his roommates turned the TV off after Timmy Smith's run, almost causing a fistfight!

1. Riggo's run

2. Any play from the 2nd quarter in super bowl 22. I think we are seriously splitting hairs picking between the Sanders TD, Clark TD, Smith TD, 2nd Sanders TD, or even the Diddier TD. It was an amazing quarter all the way around.

3. My favorite play from SB 26 was Brad Edwards lighting up Don Beebe near the goal line breaking up a TD. He was laying the wood all over the field and really set the defensive tempo.

The second play in the video below is the one I am speaking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBG3l64zAYg

1. The "Riggo Run" that turned the game around for the Redskins against the Dolphins (SB 17).

2. Williams to Sanders- 80 yard TD  that started a fury of scoring that shocked and awed the Broncos into submission (SB 22).

3. Rypien to Clark TD (not sure the yards :) ) The Bills had run off ten unanswered points to make the score 24-10, and the Redskins needed to respond to Buffalo's resurgence in the game. That, they did. :) (SB 26).

All good lists!

1. Riggins run in SB XVII- It not only changed the SB but I believe it launched the next 11 yrs. Everyone in the world watching that play knew John Riggins was getting the ball. Yet they could not stop it.

2. Timmy Smiths TD in SB XXII. But as someone else said, it's really splitting hairs. You could make an argument for all 5 of the TDs in that 2nd Q.

3. Kurt G. Interception. I just felt like it was our game once he made that pick, even after Buf scored those 10 pts.

Honorable Mention: The Defensive holding Den to a FG on their 2nd scoring drive in SB XXII. I had some friends over and I told them all that if we held them to 3 we would win it going away. That Dev. would have thrown their best punch and it only scored 10 pts. Now it's our turn. Of course I hade no idea it would go the way it did. I was honestly thinking more of a slug fest for the next few periods where we get closer and closer and then go ahead on Off and get Def score to salt it away. Again, like everyone else, I never saw 35 pts in the 2nd Q coming.

goskins10 writes:

Honorable Mention: The Defensive holding Den to a FG on their 2nd scoring drive in SB XXII. I had some friends over and I told them all that if we held them to 3 we would win it going away. That Dev. would have thrown their best punch and it only scored 10 pts. Now it's our turn. Of course I hade no idea it would go the way it did. I was honestly thinking more of a slug fest for the next few periods where we get closer and closer and then go ahead on Off and get Def score to salt it away. Again, like everyone else, I never saw 35 pts in the 2nd Q coming.

The one I would make in honorable mention is Thiesmann's knocking the ball out of the defenders hands in SB 17.

Thiesmann's pass got batted backwards in the air, and a defender was running under it for an easy catch and score. Thiesmann had the quickness and presence of mind to run back as soon as it was hit to catch up to the defender and knock it out of his hands.

Had he not done that, who knows how that game would've went.

^ I was waiting all day to pop in the DVD in and revisit that moment. Huge.
- Also the non fumble call on Doug Williams when he twisted his knee, no replay then.
- The 1st drive of Super Bowl 26, our passing game was at peak performance. Botched the scoring part of that drive, but what an opening statement!

Have to agree with the above posts but the funniest was Thurman Thomas on the sidelines trying to locate his helmet.

Somehow I knew it was over at that point.

That WAS funny. He was so so so focused on coming outta the tunnel squat-walking, stylin & profilin', and turns out he wasn't even a factor in the game. Even after he scored his little touchdown, he just barely crossed the plane, turned and ran back to the sidelines because he knew he'd been laughed at trying to do some dumb TD dance.

The one I would make in honorable mention is Thiesmann's knocking the ball out of the defenders hands in SB 17.

Thiesmann's pass got batted backwards in the air, and a defender was running under it for an easy catch and score. Thiesmann had the quickness and presence of mind to run back as soon as it was hit to catch up to the defender and knock it out of his hands.

I agree with everything you said. Also, these lists are personal, so my next comments are not to say my honorable mention is more important. It's only the reason that to me personally, it meant more.

For me, I remember SB VII but I was just a kid (10 yo). I was still learning the game so I really didn't appreciate the SB to be honest. Fast forward to SB XVII I was actually forced to work (bartender in DC) and missed many plays real time. I heard the cheer and then saw on replay. More importantly I had no real expectations for that SB. I was just glad we were there.

SB XXII I was off and had several friends over. I truly expected us to win. I just knew it. But when Den scored on the 1st play, visions of SB XVIII came to mind (which for me was the worst and most crushing defeat I have ever seen as a fan). However, I felt and told everyone, if we keep Den to 3, we will win this game. When we held them, I was so extremely happy! It was like a huge weight lifted.

No doubt from a Redskins perspective, Joe Ts knockdown was probably more important. But for me personally, stopping Den for 3 was more memorable.

In this same vein.  A HUUUUUGE play in SB22 was was Ravin Caldwell's fumble recovery after Ricky Sanders fumble of the kickoff. The score was 10-0 and could have been 17-0.   He had no business recovering the fumble as he was a mile form the play and literally clawed his way to the bottom of the pile.

Skip to 12:37

Offbeat Top 3:

1.  Joe's break-up of interception that set stage for Riggo's run.

2.  Timmy Smith's first TD run against Denver ... Back-breaker deluxe!

3.  Monk's early non-TD catch against Buffalo ... immediately set tone for game and established Skins' Mojo!

My top 3:

1.  Riggins' TD run vs. Miami in SB 17.  The greatest Redskins moment I've seen. 

2.  Williams' long TD pass to Sanders that started the scoring in that awesome second quarter in SB 22.  (A team scoring 35 points in one quarter at a Super Bowl is something that we might not see again.)

3.  (I had to think about this one..) I'll go with Kurt Gouveia's third-quarter INT in SB 26, which set up Riggs' TD that gave the Redskins a 24-0 lead. 

Honorable mention:  Theismann knocking the ball away from Bokamper in SB 17.

Caldwell's fumble recovery against Denver in SB 22.

Here's where it begins to differ with some.

2. Williams, to Clark....TOUCHDOWN !!!!  SB XXII. The touchdown that put the Redskins ahead for good against Denver. After a sluggish 1st quarter, watching the Broncos jump out to a 10-0 lead, an earlier bomb from Williams to Sanders blew up Denver's secondary, but the touchdown to Clark was the emotional boost the team needed, as I jumped outta my seat screaming Hell Yea, beer flying everywhere, and hearing the crowd in the stadium erupt with cheer.

The cool thing about that play was that it was third-and-one (I think). In my head, I remember Gibbs being such a by-the-book coach, so the fact that he went so far against his gut on a critical third-and-one was huge. Beautiful pass and a very nice catch. 

The cool thing about that play was that it was third-and-one (I think). In my head, I remember Gibbs being such a by-the-book coach, so the fact that he went so far against his gut on a critical third-and-one was huge. Beautiful pass and a very nice catch.

Gibbs loved to pass, his teams usually threw about half the time. He especially loved to throw on third and short and preferred to throw deep. Unlike the WCO, he did not use the rassing game. Further, Gibbs' Redskins were considered one of the best red-zone passing teams.

I know this thread is about the Super Bowl, but I think is where the 50 Gut confusion comes from. 50 Gut is the play we ran over and over and over again in the NFC Championship game against Dallas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1sNs4a1XTY

Love some of the quotes from this one - "got to kill the hog before you send it to the butcher...."  lol

Archived