Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andy Reid Furious At Self For Poor Clock Management At End Of 72-Oz. Steak Challenge

Riggo-toni

http://www.theonion.com/article/andy-reid-furious-self-poor-clock-management-end-7-52215

KANSAS CITY, MO—Lamenting his total lack of urgency while chewing, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid expressed frustration with himself Thursday over his poor clock management in the final moments of Union Grill’s 72-ounce “Belt Buster” steak challenge. “I just lost track of the clock, and the next thing I knew, there was only one minute left and still 15 ounces of steak to go,” said Reid, bemoaning the fact that he leisurely dipped every piece of the 4.5-pound sirloin in A.1. Sauce while precious seconds continued running off the clock.

Watching that game, it still blows my mind how Andy Reid can still be so bad at clock management after being a coach for this long. How many times do you have to lose games because of it before you learn?

I'm asking because a few Steelers' friends of mind want to know if they should hold out hope for Tomlin learning.

That's pretty funny.

Bill Simmons talks about this all the time. He even suggested that perhaps coaches just have too much on their plate to be great at time management.

Coaches don't watch number of NFL and colleges games that regular joes do and the games they do watch, they don't watch them the same way that we do either. Additionally, it's not like they play 1500 madden games either so they don't have nearly the same experience on various clock management situations that most of us at home do. In an entire season a coach may get what, 1-3 chances to do this? Not to mention all the other stuff going on that they are managing in those situations.

Im not defending Reed tho because he is awful at it and needs to study and improve this. It's killed him too many times

Simmons suggested each coach hire somebody on staff whose sole responsibility is to specifically advise the best time management at end of half and game scenarios.

Watching that game, it still blows my mind how Andy Reid can still be so bad at clock management after being a coach for this long. How many times do you have to lose games because of it before you learn?

The part that I think is funny, is the fact that he just doesn't seem to care about it no matter how bad it is.

He's consistently like, "Yeah, oh well." 

What made me laugh during the game was remembering a knowledgeable female caller on Bill Polians radio show tell them that the Chiefs would blow the game vs the Patriots because of Andy Reids clock management and then Pollan went into his diatribe about how well respected Andy Reid is around the league and hes never the reason that his team loses games lol.

Pollan is a HOF GM which once again reminds me that the NFL's not really rocket science.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived