Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tom Clancy - Rainbow Six Siege (all platforms)

Dont Taze Me Bro

Discuss all things Rainbow Six Siege in here so we don't clutter up the other threads (CoD, gaming thread, etc.).

Here is a link to the games website:  http://rainbow6.ubi.com/siege/en-us/home/index.aspx

I love the game.  In my honest opinion, it's the best FPS out there right now.  Speaking only to multiplayer since there is no story campaign/single player story mode.  This post is going to be long, because I'm going to break down the game, feel free to add and drop your opinions on the game.  

First, games are expensive ($50-$60+), so I encourage everyone to do some research on the game, watch some game play videos on youtube or twitch.  Get a feel for what this game is about and what it offers and does not offer before making a decision to purchase the game.  

Second, this is not CoD, this is not Battlefield.  No matter how one might think all FPS are the same in multiplayer, this one is not.  Similarities, sure.  I will say it sides closer to Battlefield since they try to make it somewhat realistic.  

Classes (called Operators):  There are 4 operators across five groups of special forces units from five different countries (SAS, SWAT, GIGN, GSG9 and Spetsnaz).  So 20 different operators that can be unlocked currently.  Each group has 4 total operators, two being for defending, other two for attacking.

You start out as a recruit with a basic weapon, limited supplies, etc.  As you play each match, you earn renown (in game currency) used to purchase/unlock new operators.  The first one in each group starts out costing 500 renown, next one in line 1000 (or 750 cant remember), then 1500, then 2000.  

You can customize load outs and purchase scopes, grips, etc. by purchasing them with renown.  There are 3-4 scopes, one grip, laser for hipfire.  Also weapon skins can be purchased.

Game Modes:  There are three game modes, all 5 vs 5.  One team on attack the other on defend.  Three modes are:  Hostage, Secure Area and Bomb.  For hostage, you must extract the hostage from the building and get to the extraction point.  Other team is holding him and on defense.  Then there is Secure Area, in which a biohazard container is placed.  One team has to secure the area around the biohazard to disable it (for 10 seconds in the zone), other team defends.  Finally, Bomb, there are two bombs and you have to diffuse one of them or eliminate all defenders.

Maps:  There are only 10 total maps right now.  But they are fairly large and the spawn points of the objectives are not the same each time, it moves around.  

Game play: 

There are two types of matches:  Casual (only available below rank 20) and Ranked (unlocked at level 20).  You have to start with casual and it is best out of 5 rounds to win the match.  Win/loss and K/D ratios are not recorded.  Ranked is where the win/loss and K/D is recorded.  If you team kill in either mode you will get kicked out of the match.  In ranked, if you team kill or just sit there and not do anything, you will be temporarily suspended from participating in ranked play.  

Before the match You pick your operator.  There is only one slot per operator.  So say you want to play as the Castle and someone beats you to it, you have to pick another operator to play.  There are certain operators vital to defending that you want to make sure one is on your team, but we can get into strategies later on.  

If you start on attack, you start out as drone and have 30-40 seconds to find/locate the objective.  There is no mini-map, so when you locate it it shows its location on the screen with a marker.  You can also scan and mark enemies too.  If you don't locate it, you have to find it once you start and are going in blind.  The drones, if not destroyed can be controlled after the match starts if you want to try and find them.  After you die, you can still look through the camera of the drone to help call out enemy positions if they come by the camera.  

Basically, you can go at most of the objectives from multiple entry points, depending on where it is located.  You can come from breach points above (ceiling), rappel down the side of the building, blow out a window on the 2nd/3rd floor and enter or take out enemies from outside, etc.   The hostage can be shot and killed by either team resulting in an instant loss.  And all game modes can be won if you eliminate their entire team on both offense and defense.

Starting on defense, you set up reinforced walls, traps, explosives, barricades, etc. and get into position to defend the objective.

Main point of PvP, you get one life per round.  There is no respawning during the round.  If you accidentally get shot by a teammate, or encounter a ****head one that just flat out kills you, you watch until the round is over.  This is what I like most about the game, it forces teamwork and makes you take a strategic approach to completing the objective.  

One will ask, but Taze there are only 3 game modes, essentially the same objective and only 10 maps, doesn't that get boring?  For me, no.  And the reason why is how the game play was built.  The one life per round, objective respawns in different locations, teamwork approach, etc.  

CoD is great, it's fun.  I still love it.  But this game is more rewarding to play, imo.  When you get killed and are sitting there watching your teammates continue, trying to help them (if mic'd up) it makes you want to get back in and give it another shot.  It pulls you in because that one life, one chance per round dictates how you play.  It makes you careful, it makes you alert.  If you run out instead of creeping out, peaking around corners, you might get killed immediately.  

There is more to go over, but this post is extremely long as it is.  So I will continue later or someone else playing feel free to cover what I haven't yet and post your thoughts.

The unique thing about this game is yes there are only 10 maps and the objectives will be different locations and what not..but even when they are in the same location no encounter is the same. Different teams will breach and enter rooms at different locations.

When you're guarding a hostage and three windows blows open at the same time you know youre playing a team thats working together. lol

I would also highly recommend that when you first get the game play through all the situations prior to playing multiplayer. Will take you about an hour or so but you will learn all the techniques of the game as well as earn XP to purchase operators.

Should prob rename the thread to the ST and Taze Rainbow Six Siege discussion thread. lol

Yep, excellent points STRLO.  There is a tutorial that will yield 600 renown too.  The situations you can try in normal, hard and realistic modes, which will get you higher XP for ranking up in level depending on the level.  Personally, I would just do them all on easy, ranking up naturally through multiplayer doesn't take that long.

Reason being, regardless of the difficulty on the situations, each one offers three sub challenges that earn you renown.  For instance, they all offer say 200 renown to complete the situation with 50% of your health or better.  Then the other two might be something like "get 5 headshot kills" or "kill an enemy you have blinded" for whatever amount of renown offered.  

Plus you get some renown, though little, each run through a situation.  Like STRLO pointed out, it uses different operators, weapons, etc. so you get a feel for the game and teaches you each operator and objectives, breaching, defending, etc.  I made the mistake of jumping right in multiplayer and after some matches, realized I needed to do the situations.  It helped tremendously.

I haven't finished them all, but I know how to play almost every class (only have like 3-4 more to unlock).  If I had it to do over, I'd start with the situations, go through them over and over until you advance at least halfway through them.  Then do multiplayer casual until you rank up to 20 and can do Ranked.

Speaking of ranked, that gameplay is where its at!  Because of the penalty of being banned from accessing if you team kill or quit the games when in progress, the better players and ones that want to play and win are in there.  Sure, I'm sure I'll encounter some ****heads, but it's a lot less than casual.

Also, it's best of 7 rounds where casual is best of 5.  And when you defend, you can vote on what area you want to place the objective before the match starts.  Or choose no vote.  It gives you a map of the complex and you can decide as a team what section you want to set up in.  And on attack, you vote to what spot you want to start like left side of the building, right side, parking lot, etc.

Really cool.  And the renown and XP is a lot higher than casual mode.  

Two issues with Rainbow Six Siege

First, it doesn't feel like Rainbow Six when I play it.

Second, Ubisoft is behind it and I flat out don't trust Ubisoft anymore.

Care to elaborate on why it doesn't feel like Rainbow Six?  I never played the other games in the series, so I don't really know what you are referring to.  If you have played Six Siege, are you comparing it to story/single player of other games in the franchise?  

I'll be honest, I don't know if there was multiplayer in the other games, cause I never played them.  

They did a good job on this, imo.  What don't you trust?  What is offered is pretty much straight forward as you can get.  Launch went as smoothly as it could have gone.  I've had a few issues where it won't load me into a match and I stare at a blank screen.  But all I have to do is restart the game and problem solved.

That's just about every multiplayer game though.  You're going to experience issues.  

whats your XBL gamer tag Taze? I will add you. We used to have a large group of ES people who played FPS on Live all the time back in the days of COD Modern Warfare. There's only like 3 of us ES people left now but we have a large group of people otherwise. We usually get on some weekday nights around 7ish to play R6 Siege.

whats your XBL gamer tag Taze? I will add you. We used to have a large group of ES people who played FPS on Live all the time back in the days of COD Modern Warfare. There's only like 3 of us ES people left now but we have a large group of people otherwise. We usually get on some weekday nights around 7ish to play R6 Siege.

It's gumby6971.  Add me man, I'm on around 7pm EST most nights during the week too.  If there are three of y'all, me and STRLO can make it 5 :)

I gotta move my Xbox One back into my office so I can play on the CPU monitor, plan on doing that today.  Also gotta rank up :)  I've spent the majority of my play time on PS4, hit 20 last night.  Time to put in the work on XB1 :)  

Two issues with Rainbow Six Siege

First, it doesn't feel like Rainbow Six when I play it.

Second, Ubisoft is behind it and I flat out don't trust Ubisoft anymore.

I played both Vegas and Vegas II and i think Siege blows them out of the water...just my opinion tho

It's gumby6971.  Add me man, I'm on around 7pm EST most nights during the week too.  If there are three of y'all, me and STRLO can make it 5 :)

I got two other buddies that just picked this game up. I actually already have you added on xbox live. My GT is house1221

I played both Vegas and Vegas II and i think Siege blows them out of the water...just my opinion tho

I got two other buddies that just picked this game up. I actually already have you added on xbox live. My GT is house1221

Yep, I remember adding you for Madden now lol.  Cool, time to mic up and kick ass.  Just moved my XB1 back in here and did the tutorials and a few situations to unlock some operators.  

Now I know which ones are my favorite and vital to the team, so I can save the ****ty ones that I don't like (and unlocked first on PS4 lol) until last since it takes so much more renown.

Yea, Vegas is where the series started to go downhill.Siege felt far too much like Vegas and not enough like how Rainbow Six started.

As for what I don't trust, Ubisoft. Ubisoft is everything I don't trust in game developers.

Yea, Vegas is where the series started to go downhill.Siege felt far too much like Vegas and not enough like how Rainbow Six started.

As for what I don't trust, Ubisoft. Ubisoft is everything I don't trust in game developers.

Have you actually played siege?  Did you buy it?  Rent it?  Borrow it?  Play at a friends house?  What platform did you play the other games on and what platform did you play Siege on?  How many hours did you put in it?  How many matches did you play?  What made multiplayer better in the older games?  

Looking back at the first Rainbow Six, The only multiplayer was on PC and multiplayer was co-op against the CPU or team deathmatch or deathmatch with up to 16 players.  It was on the PS1/Dreamcast, no online back then.  Are you speaking towards multiplayer or single player?  

And for your second point, you really said a lot of nothing as to why you don't like the developer.  

Edit:  I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy the game.  I'm just putting out what this game is about, the gameplay compared to the other FPS out there, things I didn't know about the game, etc.  In hopes that it will give those on the fence about buying it a better look before they drop $50+ on a game that may not be for them.

Also, not trying to come at you.  But it would help if you explained specifics and comparisons to previous versions that allowed you to form your opinion on the game.  It also might help others make their decision on whether or not to purchase the game.  But if you just have an axe to grind against Ubisoft, then please keep that out of here.  And if you haven't played the game, then well, no need to jump in and say that it stinks either.

It's 100% multiplayer only.  So if that bothers anyone, they shouldn't buy it.  It's that simple.  For those that play CoD, Battlefield, etc. and only care about multiplayer, they should give this game a look and chance if they can, cause it is, imo the best FPS right now the way it's set-up.  

Have you actually played siege?  Did you buy it?  Rent it?  Borrow it?  Play at a friends house?  What platform did you play the other games on and what platform did you play Siege on?  How many hours did you put in it?  How many matches did you play?  What made multiplayer better in the older games?  

Yes, I've played it. I was a beta tester, and I played at a friend's house. In total, over a hundred matches. Everything PC.

There was no multiplayer in the older games. There was actual gameplay. You had an actual planning phase.

As to better multiplayer, there's nothing in Siege that wasn't really in Bad Company 2. It's kind of cool to be able to blow up and destroy an environment. It's nice that they tried to incorporate teamwork, but unless you have players who are actually committed to it, it's really nothing special. Nothing beyond what you could do in most other FPS multiplayer games.

Everything feels so small in Siege. Small maps, small buildings. Just tiny.

The Terrorist Hunt is just meh. That was single handedly the coolest thing about any R6 game and it's meh.

Network issues have come up and, credit to Ubisoft, they have been mitigated. But it;s 2015/2016 and we're still doing peer to peer? Cmon guys, pony up the money for servers.

There is an utter dearth of content.3 game modes and 10 maps might be enough if it came with a lengthy single player campaign. But it doesn't. You paid $60, you should get a lot more for a multi-player only game. Oh and micro-transactions. I'm so freaking tired of this nonsense, it makes me want to throw something through the screen.

And this points me to Ubisoft. I feel like this game was pushed out too quickly. There is a good foundation here, but they did nothing to enhance it. They are going to have to make something that will build a community of people that want to play the way the developers intended. Develop more ways to plan ahead of time. Microphone support and matchmaking.Fix the bullet damage and, frankly, bring back the original R6 system (you get hit in the legs, you don't run any more. You get hit in the arm, you lose accuracy ability). And the gunplay itself felt too run and gun. Too much like every other FPS. Rainbox Six was never about that. It was about being quick and precise.

Ultimately, when I play I think, wow, this game would be cool ... if it were done. I put it in Elite Dangerous territory: Cool idea, I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm not investing until you finish developing it. I'll wait another year for a price drop and see what has come out of the first six months of play.

Fair enough Slate :)  Just strictly looking at it in comparison to the other four main FPS out there, talking Destiny, Black Ops III and BF: Hardline, I think the multiplayer is better than BO3 and BF Hardline.  Destiny is the best bang for your buck, no denying that.  But it's also a hybrid game of PvP and PvE based as a FPS/RPG.

Putting it up against just two FPS games (CoD and BF), even with less game modes and only 10 maps, I think it has the best in game mechanics than either of those.  Yes, there are little turd kids that will try to ruin that, but I think they did a good job of implementing teamwork into the game to succeed.

I don't know if you hit Level 20 or not.  But once you can play ranked games where people are going to get kicked and temp banned for team killing, quitting the game while a match is going on, you get to play with players that do want to work as a team and win.  In all of the ranked matches I've played, almost everyone is mic'd up, helping each other, going over strategies, etc.  None have team killed or quit in the middle of a match.

Maps are smaller, because it's 5 vs 5, there really isn't any need for larger maps considering there is a time limit on each match.  I agree that there is absolutely no reason they couldn't have built in a campaign/story mode.  I also agree that it is somewhat bare bones with limited game modes and maps at launch.  But we all know that is how a lot of games do now, include other stuff as DLC.

I love the fact there is no respawn.  One life per round is great, imo.  It helps keep the game fresh.  I've only played on both consoles, can't speak to the PC experience.  But I've had minimal issues with the servers or the way the game is set-up for multiplayer.

Taze, might have a group of me and three others playing tonight. Looking for the 5th. We will prob be on around 8ish. 

Let me know if youre interested bro. 

I'm down.  Been a long day at work......Getting ready to eat, so it might be a tad later, like 8:15-8:30.  Hit me up, but if you get five before me, it's all good.  Getting closer to 20, think I'm around 16 or 17 now.

Good run last night while it lasted...my buddy was doing some reading while we were waiting and found that i guess teams of 4 are having major connection issues. Hopefully if my other buddy jumps on we will have 5 and be good to go. 

I figured that was the unlucky #.  Since you and your friends were rolling no problem with 3 and I was having no issues rolling solo afterwards.  Makes no since as to why it won't match up a solo player with a group of four.  Surely there is a easy fix to that bug.

Was a blast when it let us though!  Almost to level 19, I need to get into the ranked matches.  If I can't run with you guys, that is the next best option since the players there are mostly mic'd up and try hards since there are temp bans for acting like ****heads.

Had two matches last night where people on my team killed each other from the start and immediately put us in a 5 on 2 or 5 on 3 disadvantage.  So annoying.

Yea, i hear ya man. My buddy was saying its the way they match-make by looking for another group of 4 for us to play against and then adding a single to each team...idk. That **** is confusing for me. lol

But yea the next game we got into after you left the two other guys kept shooting the hostage. Was pretty annoying. 

Hopefully if we can get 5 it will work out. 

Yea, i hear ya man. My buddy was saying its the way they match-make by looking for another group of 4 for us to play against and then adding a single to each team...idk. That **** is confusing for me. lol

But yea the next game we got into after you left the two other guys kept shooting the hostage. Was pretty annoying. 

Hopefully if we can get 5 it will work out. 

It makes sense, it's just stupid.  That would explain why sometimes I'll be on the screen where it shows the blue and orange team and you see your team and theirs will have like 3 players each with the bottom two slots searching.

Picked it up last night.

I'm probably going to be pretty bad for a bit lol. Working through the situations right now. So much fun though and I haven't even gotten to multi-player yet.

If anyone wants to add me.

Xbox username: jaybreezy26

Just add....hell nah, dive into multiplayer with us :D

Edit:  Just added you jay.  Someone just added me with a skins related username, was that you No Excuses?

Archived