Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins checklist thread

Tsailand

Hey guys, thought we could have some fun with this.  Hope it's not one too many Cousins threads for the mods.  Here's how it works: Use ☑ for things Kirk has already accomplished, and ☐ for things you still need to see from him before you will take him seriously as our long-term starter.  I'll get things started:

☑ Prove he's more than a backup

☑ Win on the road

☑ Come from behind 4th quarter win

☐ Win against an undefeated team that is miles better than any Redskins team since 1991

☐ Win against a team with a HOF QB and HOF HC

☑ Beat the Giants

☑ Beat the Eagles

☐ Beat the Cowboys

☑ Win despite throwing an INT

☑ Score a TD on a read-option run

☐ Win in prime time

☐ Win two games in a row

☐ Winning record

☐ Get to the playoffs

☐ Win a playoff game

☐ Win a playoff game on the road

☑ ☑ Be named NFC offensive player of the week

☐ Go to the pro bowl

☐ Go to the pro bowl ten years in a row like Brady or Manning

☐ League MVP

☐ Break Redskins single-season passing yards record

☐ Break NFL single-season passing yards record

☐ Arm sleeve tattoos

☐ Go to jail for speeding in Virginia

☐ Lose front tooth, never get it fixed

☐ Accidentally post dick pic on internet

☐ SI cover

☐ Madden cover

☑ Hot wife

☐ Son who plays in the NFL

More...?

I don't think I have ever seen a QB disrespected like him in spite of what he is accomplishing.  You still got national media guys saying he's just a back up.  A Buffalo reporter on 980 said on air this week, he thinks the Redskins should move on and look for someone better.

You got on Monday Night football, people talking up Eli having a career year as for completion rate and at that time he was at 62%, and many keep saying how Eli by a mile is the best QB in the division while Kirk in his first year as a starter has a 69% completion rate.  And no its not because Kirk is just throwing short passes -- he's ranked in the middle of the league in YPA.

He's been the player of the week in the NFC twice.  Lead 4 big time comebacks.   Over 300 yards 5 times.  He leads the league in completion %.   He has had an over 100 QB rating for many weeks in a row.  He's done this against many of the better defenses in the league, without his playmakers for part of the year, with a young offensive line, and almost no running game.  

And with all of that, he's still a punchline to some media types and even some of our own fans.  It's one of the craziest things I've witnessed as a fan of this team.

All the points Skinsinparadise makes are all so true, BUT isnt this what we want? specially after all the media attention RG3 received. Let Kirk do the good things and get bad mouthed or not looked at by media and other teams. Lets just win and scream YOU LIKE THAT?

I don't think it's about whether or not you resign him.   Now it's about looking at the current situation and identifying how things are progressing.  He needs to finish solid to go with a solid first year.  Checking a few more boxes on the list are definitely in order and should be targeted now and in the next few weeks.

It would be solid to say that KC has every reason to win now and the same thing with Gruden and gang.  Check a couple of more boxes and take this next step.  It think that's a solid goal and completing the measuring stick for his full year one. 

At the end of the year, looking back at these last three games will be talked about and in consideration for how KC progrressed or did not. He's definitely not going anywhere and will be resigned by the Skins to a solid contract. 

Um, isn't #4 over-reaching ANYONE'S  expectations for ANY QB at all?

Beating an undefeated team that is miles better? That's almost asking for a fluke game.

If you wanted to add to the list, you can always use the ' have a catch phrase', "YOU LIKE THAT, YOU LIKE THAT". [ check ]

or,

do a fast food commercial with someone who ISN'T a pedophile.

His success or failure on being able to check off anything else on that list will depend on how Gruden & McVay coach him and how Scottie does in bringing in actual help on the offensive side of the ball.

[shortening the post]

And with all of that, he's still a punchline to some media types and even some of our own fans.  It's one of the craziest things I've witnessed as a fan of this team.

So true, I guess it's juest them despising us. As I've been saying this already somewhere else, if he was having this year while playing for the Broncos, or the Patriots, he would be in Pro Bowl talks every week. But no, he's just playing for the Redskins, so let's bash him.

All the points Skinsinparadise makes are all so true, BUT isnt this what we want? specially after all the media attention RG3 received. Let Kirk do the good things and get bad mouthed or not looked at by media and other teams. Lets just win and scream YOU LIKE THAT?

What we want, is being drama free. That doesn't mean those guys have to disrespect us in any way us as a team, or our QB, whoever it is. Kirk is just not another back up guy lurking on the depth chart and holding a clip come game time...

__ Defeat Isis

__ Reverse climate change

__ Defeat the Black Widow in hot dog eating contest

__ Build a working light saber

Nice finds.

__ Find a cure to Cancer

__ Star in the Simpsons show

__ Walk on Jupiter. Mars and Moon are for losers!

__ Give me 10 Millions, that should finally convince me in the end. :D

__ Be elected POTUS

__ Take a Selfie with God

I don't think I have ever seen a QB disrespected like him in spite of what he is accomplishing.

Really? lol...you haven't been following the NFL for very long, then.

He's been the player of the week in the NFC twice. Lead 4 big time comebacks.

Are you counting Atlanta and Dallas in the 4 "big time comebacks"?

And with all of that, he's still a punchline to some media types and even some of our own fans. It's one of the craziest things I've witnessed as a fan of this team.

This doesn't even rank in the Top 10 Craziest Things Seen by Redskins Fans list lol...

I think the needle on the Cousins Sensitivity meter is hitting the red a bit too much lately.

Here's my own list:

☑ Show consistency in terms of good performances

☐ Show that he can make Gruden's offense dynamic

☑ Overcome turnovers and lead team to wins

☐ Make the players around him better

☑ Display good leadership

☐ Carry the team to a victory when nothing else is working

☐ Lead the offense to two 20+ games while not throwing any INTs

☑ Show real improvement in areas that needed improvement

Even though he's only checked off 4 of the 8 things I have on my list I do take him seriously as a starter right now.

Here's my own list:

Even though he's only checked off 4 of the 8 things I have on my list I do take him seriously as a starter right now.

That's a good list. I like it. Completely agree.

Here's my own list:

I'd argue that he's carried the team to victory when nothing else is working, as the run game has been pretty awful since week 2, with the exception of the Saints game and a few aberrations.

I also think "Make Gruden's offense dynamic" and "Make the players around him better" are so subjective that they are impossible to judge. Which is fine, I guess. For example, I think he has made the players around him better. At the very least, the offensive line in pass pro! Gruden's offense being dynamic, on the other hand, is hard to imagine, period. Someone else could have a totally different take on either of these. *shrugs*

2 straight games with 20 pts and no turnovers is a pretty clear cut one that seems reasonable, imo.

Really? lol...you haven't been following the NFL for very long, then.

I've been following the NFL for about 40 years give or take.  So if what I've said is so off that it hits LOL category for you -- then I presume what that means is heck yeah don't be so naive plenty of examples which are tat for tat and that my observation is so off that its laughable -- where indeed it is common apparently for first year starters to lead the league in completion percentage, put up numerous 300 plus yard games, earn NFC player of the week honors, lead comebacks -- and of course the NFL media types and Redskins fans shrug their shoulders, say he's a backup, the Redskins need to move on.

OK cool enough if its LOL category then I'd presume you have a ton of examples that are apples to apples to this.  I don't mean this sarcastically but I'd love to hear them.  Like most of us here, I am not a casual football fan but a football freak and watch just about everything I can, so if all of this has been going on in the league and right by me, that's a bad on me, so I wonder what I've been missing?   

What I've observed is closer to the reverse, fan bases, and the media getting giddy over first year starters who put up good stats versus them shrugging their shoulders.  Heck even in DC, when we got flashes from Frerotte there was some initial hype.  RG3 could have been President in this town after 2012.  He had a straggler naysayer or two like Heath Evans but most media type/fans bought in big. 

But again, if I have a blind spot to the idea that media/fans actually mostly indeed do shrug their shoulders to situations like Kirk, cool.  But just saying LOL, I must not be following football for long -- just comes off as a shot at my point but without really a response. :)

Edit:  As for comebacks, I can't fault Kirk for the defense giving it right back after a clutch drive like in the Dallas game.  I am sensitive on this point specifically because it was my beef with Campbell, when it was crunch time, he'd disappear.    But yeah in particular against Atlanta with less than 30 seconds to move down the field and score, I was impressed.   If it didn't impress you, that's cool.  In a way it actually helps reinforce the point of my post.

Well, a case COULD be made that he's made Reed a better player; at least Reed's getting some love from the media.

But, the 'display good leadership' is kinda vague to me. He's shown he's a class act and humble which is good, but I'd like to see him be a little more demanding on field with the other players. that's the one thing that I can say I have not seen. Maybe I missed it, but the only way I've seen him emotional is on the positive side, not when a player doesn't do their job, where he would get on them.

But there does need to be one more thing added to the list;

Put and end to the Kardashians. I think he does that and the WORLD would love Kurt, I mean Kirk. :P

Here comes the LOL conversation again. Let me summarize where this is going, he doesn't mean it in an offensive way even though he always says it right after correcting or disagreeing with someone. And even though numerous people have told him how insulting it is and how it comes off as "what you're saying is so stupid that it makes me laugh" he's going to keep doing it in every post because it's everybody else's problem.

He's shown me that he can be a franchise QB.  He needs another year in this offense.  This team desperately needs a playmaker.  DeSean Jackson isn't a playmaker, he is big play guy.  2 different things.  We need someone teams have to gameplan for and the only thing we even remotely close to that is Jordan Reed on offense 

He's shown me that he can be a franchise QB. He needs another year in this offense. This team desperately needs a playmaker. DeSean Jackson isn't a playmaker, he is big play guy. 2 different things. We need someone teams have to gameplan for and the only thing we even remotely close to that is Jordan Reed on offense

I don't disagree, but I think just having a competent run game would make a major difference. The lack of a run game is both a major reason why I'm so impressed with Cousins, and the biggest reason I don't see us going anywhere this year postseason.

I could have dealt with just the LOL :)  but when he adds I haven't been following football for long, it comes off as a shot.  Maybe he didn't mean it that way.  It's cool to disagree but when he marries the LOL and I haven't been following football for long -- it comes off to me like he thinks my point is ridiculous.  And I can see disagreeing with my point but suggesting its ridiculous -- that IMO puts the burden of proof on him where its not just I am wrong but that I am so wildly off that he can question how much football I watch -- and apparently that must also apply to all the people that liked my post.    

I get along generally fine with Califan and he has some good posts.  But if he thinks I am that wildly off, its cool, to each their own, but I'd like a bunch of examples versus just saying I must not watch much football.  :)  I am not even saying he's wrong, I am open to the flurry of apples to apples examples to my point about Cousins. 

Here comes the LOL conversation again. Let me summarize where this is going, he doesn't mean it in an offensive way even though he always says it right after correcting or disagreeing with someone. And even though numerous people have told him how insulting it is and how it comes off as "what you're saying is so stupid that it makes me laugh" he's going to keep doing it in every post because it's everybody else's problem.

Archived