Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins First In East, But December Is Crucial

Ryan Kerrigan said:

"If you're not hungry for the Cowboys coming in after a big win like today, we have a problem,” Ryan Kerriganicon-article-link.gif said after the Giants game. “This is a big game for us. We haven't been able to string together a couple wins in a row but we have to now. We're playing December football now and it’s good to have these December games be meaningful so this is going to be an exciting time."

I hope all the players are smart enough to take this approach. I know we are all excited about being in first place, but it will all go down the drain if we lay an egg Monday Night against dallast. There could be an argument that is the most important game of the year.

Everything is set up for us to win - It's at home - our QB is playing the most consistent ball for his career - the D is starting to be more consistent and has shut down some really good Off's - dallast is without their starting QB and have basically nothing behind him. If we can't win this most winnable game then you cold argue we have not made any progress this year. That's probably not fair, but hey, who said life was fair!

Seriously. I keep wanting to be really excited for this game. But every time I do, all the times I was sure we would win, only to be completely demoralized with a really ugly loss comes to mind. We really need this win to continue to exorcizing demons. To let us really start believing again. Let's go guys!    Make this one count! Of all the games that I would love to see us blow out a team I would love it to be this week!

Especially with romoSUCKS out. Clownboys haven't won a game without him in a long time and they haven't done it this year at all. Skins would get to 3-1 in the division with the best shot at finishing over .500 than the other three teams. This seasons NFC East winner could easily come down to the team with the best divisional record.

A 7-game manual has been compiled this season illustrating how to shut down the Romo-less Cowboys. On paper, it's very simple- 8 in the box. Shut down the run game, blitz Cassel, Cowboys lose. The problems are that I still don't have much confidence in our rush D and Barry doesn't blitz.

The Cowboys have nothing to lose; we have just about everything to lose. The Cowboys are coming off an embarrassing prime-time loss; we are coming off a dominant win. What Cowboys will we see- a team that's given up or a team that hates the Redskins and wants to play spoiler? What Redskins team will we see- a team that's overconfident coming off a big win (after the Saints game) or a team that's well-prepared and fully committed for the post season push?

My judgement for this team/coaching staff is still in the works and the outcome of this game will be weighted heavily in the equation. This is a game that we should win, but historically it's a game we find a way to lose. I want this team to give history a big F U and prove to all of us that things are officially turning around. 

Great analysis, CT.

The defense has improved because the laughing stock of NFL secondaries for many years has been completely been turned around by coach Perry Fewell. Especially considering his near weekly replacement of players because of injuries.

It has not been because they are the leagues fifth worst in yards per carry and seventh worst in yards per game given up on the ground. Nor is it because they have the 7th fewest sacks in the NFL. Now teams run against them because they can fare better than passing against them. That is a total 180 from seasons past. I'm still not impressed with Barry and he is responsible for the above but will wait and see at the end of the year. If Fewell becomes DC next year I would not be heartbroken.

Did someone put a gun to McVays head to get him to run the ball more last week? The Skins had 36 min's of possesion, that's 12 more min's than the Gnats - almost a quarter. Keep their opponets offense off the field. Cassel - this is a guy they really should pummel mercilessly. 5 Tds/5 Ints/10 sacks and 6.5 yards per attempt - that is absolutely one of the worst in the league. He doesn't pass for more than 8 to 10 yards downfeld.

Clownboys are 1-9 in their last ten games. So while their run game still needs to be respected it hasn't pulled the donkey riders butts out of the fire. Redskins offense can help out the run D with an early lead.

Are the Cowflops really the Skins biggest rivalry these days or is it the Giants?

Great analysis, CT.

The defense has improved because the laughing stock of NFL secondaries for many years has been completely been turned around by coach Perry Fewell. Especially considering his near weekly replacement of players because of injuries.

It has not been because they are the leagues fifth worst in yards per carry and seventh worst in yards per game given up on the ground. Nor is it because they have the 7th fewest sacks in the NFL. Now teams run against them because they can fare better than passing against them. That is a total 180 from seasons past. I'm still not impressed with Barry and he is responsible for the above but will wait and see at the end of the year. If Fewell becomes DC next year I would not be heartbroken.

Did someone put a gun to McVays head to get him to run the ball more last week? The Skins had 36 min's of possesion, that's 12 more min's than the Gnats - almost a quarter. Keep their opponets offense off the field. Cassel - this is a guy they really should pummel mercilessly. 5 Tds/5 Ints/10 sacks and 6.5 yards per attempt - that is absolutely one of the worst in the league. He doesn't pass for more than 8 to 10 yards downfeld.

Clownboys are 1-9 in their last ten games. So while their run game still needs to be respected it hasn't pulled the donkey riders butts out of the fire. Redskins offense can help out the run D with an early lead.

Are the Cowflops really the Skins biggest rivalry these days or is it the Giants?

Let me get this out of the way - FOR ME IT'S THE ****ING COWBOYS!! They are scum of the earth. OK, I feel a little better now.

I guess I am not sure why the dislike for Barry still. Yes, some of the overall numbers are not great, but he has put together some really good game plans on some really potent offensive teams. We just kept a team averaging 26+ pts/gm to 14 pts.  NO the same thing. They were killing it in every phase and after 14 pts in the 1st period, they got nothing!

Also, the injuries have not just been the secondary. Pot roast has been a disappointment and Ryan has been struggling coming back from surgery. But you can se as the season goes on these guys are getting better. We are starting to see guys make the big plays. You can't say the improvement in the secondary is all just PF and not give JB some credit too. they all make the game plans together.

You can point to some tackling issues but they are getting better there too. At some point you have to hold the players accountable. They didn't just learn tackling this year. Way too much is put on the coaching sometimes when it's the players that need to take responsibility and make the plays. All the coaches can do is put them in position.

He deserves some patience and more rope than a few games. He inherited a dumpster fire yet the D has won us a few games already this year.

Just my opinion. But I think he is very good coach and with another offseason and getting some key guys back from injury and another playmaker or two and this is going to be a very good D.

I agree GoSkins - it's always the Cowgirls for the fans and it probably always wll be. How about for the team though? A couple of hockey games broke out last week. ODB had hs catches last week but was brutalized on nearly ever single one (just one example). Maybe it just appears so but they do seem to kick it up a notch against NY.

Dislke for Barry? It's not a dislike - it's just I'm not buying in on him yet. Same with McVay - I haven't seen where one could say, 'Well that answers that." Players need to take some responsbility - but so do the coaches. They call the plays.

Dislke for Barry? It's not a dislike - it's just I'm not buying in on him yet. Same with McVay - I haven't seen where one could say, 'Well that answers that." Players need to take some responsibility - but so do the coaches. They call the plays.

That's probably fair. I am not saying the coaches are not responsible, but to me there have been many times where the plays are there to be made but the execution has not been there.

For example, both those 4th down plays that NYG got on us. The right Ds were called, especially on the TD. There was a clear missed assignment on both. The TD to OJB was just sick. That was perfect position by Blackmon. Odell just made a pro-bowl play and Eli threw a good ball. Even the best CBs will eventually get scored on. The guys on the other side are good.

It's hard to get too upset at the players or the coaches considering all the injuries and the small time they have had to paly together.

So while I get we probably have not seen enough to say "That answers that" I would also say we have not seen anything or enough to say "They are not the answer!". I see a lot of positive signs for this coaching staff. The most important is the guys are playing hard for them, even in the rough games the guys were trying to the end. They took the losses personal and have come back each time with a good game. Now we just need to put some games together.

Here is a good read on Kirk if you guys haven't seen it yet.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/01/kirk-cousins-washington-nfl

HTTR & WE WANT DALLAS!!!!

I read this earlier. It's a very good article. I like that it puts some the ignorant **** about Robert to rest. Like when people were saying Robert and Kirk could not be in the same room and the tension was high on the team - It turns out Kirk, Colt and Robert have bible study together every week.

You can't miss this breakdown of our D. Great work by someone over in the Stadium. It shows how while there is definitely room for improvement. the work the defensive coaching staff are doing is really paying off and has these guys headed in a very good direction.

Here is the direct link: http://es.redskins.com/topic/396428-every-defensive-snap-against-the-giants/#entry10438502

Let me know your thoughts!

Most of the Giants game we ran 6 offensive lineman and that was McVay's game plan. Repeat this please the results were great with Cousins having nearly 4 seconds on a few plays, it helped our run some too, obviously you don't have to be dominant with the run just effective.

These games always make me the most antsy because records and injured players are a non factor. Remember we beat a very good Romo led team last year with Colt McCoy....Colt McCoy for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think we will have a letdown, we may get outplayed but each and every player and coach will be jacked for this game. The coaches are fine, they've had alot of missing starters but as good instructors they have now had enough time to get the secondary up to speed, those guys didn't just wake up and were better, it was the coaches being better teachers.

Appreciate reading everyone's take and analysis, keep up the good work.

Kicker Dustin Hopkins is the Special Teams MVP!!!!

Archived