Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF we made the paloffs, would you really be ok with it?

brandymac27

I'm just asking. As bad as the NFCE is, if we were to get the wildcard and make it to the playoffs, would you be ok with it????

I honestly don't know if I would be. I'd wanna be a competitive team. I don't think we're even close to being there yet.

Your opinions?

There is no way a wild card will go to an NFC East team.  It would mean we won the division.  So yeah I would be ok with winning the division.

I know it's easy to say I'll take it, but I don't wanna be the team to lose in the first round because we really don't deserve it and aren't prepared.

I'd much rather be the sleeper team that nobody expects, yet still has what it takes to go all the way.

As bad as this sounds as a fan, I honestly don't think we could beat any real playoff caliber team. I mean, look at what the Panthers did to us! We'd have to beat them for a SB ticket.

I don't see that happening, so I'd rather not even make the playoffs and just focus on next year.

There is no way a wild card will go to an NFC East team. It would mean we won the division. So yeah I would be ok with winning the division.

But this is hypothetically saying we do win the division.

I don't see that happening, so I'd rather not even make the playoffs and just focus on next year.

Well then you are basically saying you want our players to breed losing instead of winning.

Play to lose, and hope for next year.

Makes zero sense.

You build a franchise by drafting players and creating a winning attitude.  Redskins need any positive reinforcement they can get.

I know it's easy to say I'll take it, but I don't wanna be the team to lose in the first round because we really don't deserve it and aren't prepared.

If we win the division and a playoff berth, the team will absolutely deserve it. Especially considering the amount of injuries we sustained so early in the season.  Who would have thought we'd even be 4-6 at this point with the number of injuries we've had. We are far from a finished product, and might look like crap now and again (see Carolina and Jets games), but I give huge props to SM and the coaching staff for coaxing as much as possible out of a bunch of back ups.

no way we can get a wildcard (or anyone in the east) which is what your post said.

why would we not want to go the playoffs and stay relevant later in the season?

why would you not want to win the division?!

[quote name="brandymac27" post="10430017" timestamp="144868723"

if we were to get the wildcard and make it to the playoffs, would you be ok with it

Your opinions?

Well then you are basically saying you want our players to breed losing instead of winning.

Play to lose, and hope for next year.

Makes zero sense.

You build a franchise by drafting players and creating a winning attitude.  Redskins need any positive reinforcement they can get.

Agreed. If we beat the Giants this week we're division leaders (afaik). And even if we sneak in like Seattle or something did at 7-9 or something awhile back, also as division leaders, it doesn't matter. Great year W-L records are nice (especially of course in a tougher division than this one currently is), but post-season matters more. And iirc that Seattle team DID win that game (might've been against us? My memory is AWFUL. Also, it might've been the Rams). ETA: Wow, I think that was Marshawn Lynch's incredible, icon, earthquake-producing run that beat the Saints? Who had a better record but Seattle had home turf due to division win.

I mean what greater boost to a team could it be to make the playoffs? To play more than 16 games in a season? No double-edged sword in my mind. Just guys suiting up again and ready to do their best, and giving tickets to friends and family because PLAYOFFS OH YEAH!! I'm sure they'd strive to perform as high as they can.

And, of course, if we do make the playoffs it would mean we'd outperformed the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys. That alone is worthy of celebration even if we lose 60-0 in the game. Made it further than those jerks.

Would we rather the Giants or others sneak in? IIRC the Giants fairly recently eked in not as any favorites a couple times and won the darn Super Bowl. Why not us? Striving to make it so one can win the trophy is obviously worth any risk of making the playoffs and losing the first game. No playoffs no possibility. 

But this is hypothetically saying we do win the division.

Absolutely! But if we do we deserve to be in the Playoffs. If we beat the Giants this week we'd currently lead the Division due to w/l and such.

So our schedule is:

Giants

Cowboys

Bears

Bills

Eagles

Cowboys

I'm not mathematician but the Bears and Bills are definitely beatable (well more than if we were playing the Patriots or Broncos, for instance), and maybe even if we lose those we could write our own destiny if we beat the rest. Cowboys suck (even if major media continues to champion them, even this week favored against the Panthers lol how'd that work out, 3-pick Romo grrr gnash laugh), Giants we're even skill with, Eagles are mysterious. They could win out or lose out.

It's not actually a huge hill to climb. And if the team climbs it they absolutely deserve the Playoffs. And that is absolutely more important than sucking slightly less and getting one or two draft placements higher than if not. Division wins are also bragging rights to shame and mock other fans of the other teams. "Cowboys, you couldn't even beat our Dan Snyder team?". "Eagles, Chip Kelly was 2nd place to the hapless Redskins?" As normally hapless as we are, this would just be solid evidence that our rivals are even moreso, at least for this year.

Both wild card teams will be coming from the NFC North (GB or Min) and NFC South (ATL). Seattle may have a shot a it as well, but there's no way the Wild card comes from the NFC Eeast.

So if we go to the playoffs, it will be because we won the division title, and it's always good. It's good to build some confidence in guys, meaning they can do it. We have a lots of young players that could use that to keep on working, to establish firmly some guys as their team leader (Kirk Cousins mostly). It wouldn't be a double edge sword to me if we go this year. At the minimum, that's confidence to build on it, and a good experience. We're learning, we're growing, might as well see what it takes for all (coaches and players) to go to the second level.

If we went there, as the division leader, that'll mean we'll have our first playoff game at home. Against one of those wild card (mostly GB or Minn). And playoffs, have nothing to do with regular season. Anything can happen. I hate to say it, but the Giants won the Superbowl while ending the regular with a 9-7 record and beat the Patriots in the Superbowl... Playoffs are a complete different thing.

Of course I want to win the East and play a home playoff game.

The rest of our games are winnable, too. 10-6 is still on the table, which we could run.

The Bills in our house and Bears on the road. Our schedule has been a ****, but this, starting Sunday, is the part that favors us.

This thread confuses me. Are you honestly talking about hurting draft position a few spots, the day before we play our most competitive rival, for first place in the East?

We were starting to gain some momentum, until the Panthers knocked us down. Now is the time to get some steam behind your game and begin running through some teams, that know they aren't going anywhere.

At worst, we can end our season on a high note to build on. Isn't everyone always saying we're not a player away or that nobody wants to play for a loser? Winning the East changes that. At best, we go on a run and make some noise.

Are the Giants, Bills or the Bears actually so much better than us? No

And we can still get a wildcard spot, if the cards fall right.

I would feel it a bit of a hollow victory of sorts to stumble into the playoffs as the division winners if we are at 8-8 or less.  If we go over .500 then I would feel its well earned.

Either way, for the team, as young as they are, it would be a great boost.  A playoff team always inspires confidence and better discipline.  We seem to be getting there and I do feel this years team is more tough than the past few, but we still have a ways to go.

All it will be, is that a mediocre team; won a mediocre division.  I'll take it but it will raise the expectations for 2016.

The team will get blown out in the playoff game.  Gruden will get out-coached easily.

Expectations will be on the rise in 2016, no matter what, so might as well huge than experience in the playoffs.

And Jay Gruden being outcoached easily is nothing more than having an agenda here.

I would feel it a bit of a hollow victory of sorts to stumble into the playoffs as the division winners if we are at 8-8 or less. If we go over .500 then I would feel its well earned..

This is the way I feel. If a team can't win more games rhan it loses in the regular season, they don't really deserve the postseason in any league. However, allowing four divisions per conference has contributed to this very thing happening several times since 2008.

However, right now I still oparate with the possibility of the Skins finishing 10-6. Heck, them and the Giants can possibly both go 10-6. A wildcard coming from the NFCE is unlikely but still isn't out of the realm. The NFCN seems to have one WC berth but the only other non division leader with a winning record is Atlanta and they have slipped big time in the past month (so have the Packers, but can't see them falling apart to the extent of not getting in). I still expect Seattle to put together a string of wins to solidify a berth.

Also, as others have said, .almost all the 500 or below division winners since 2008 have won the first round game at home (although I disagree that a team with the poorer record should host the game). So far this season, it's tough to really be scared of anyone who would come in here for the WC round, even including recent stalwarts like the Packers and Seahawks.

I understand your concern of being blown-out in the first round. I don't see us getting there as a wild card, but making the play-offs is a consequence of winning the division. So I'll re-phrase the question; Do you want to us win the division?

Every season I hope that we can go 6-0 in the NFC East and then go on to win the division. I don't think that we are close to being a play-off caliber team this year and there is a real possibility that we get humiliated in the first round. But you gotta be in it to win it, so that isn't a concern for me right now, but finishing first in the NFC East is.

I'd be devastated and depressed if we made the playoffs.  :)

Really, of course, I'd want it and be thrilled.  in order to make the playoffs, we'd have to beat up on our divisional rivals to get there, trying to think what's the downside.  Chris Russell who I generally like had a weird segment on his show yesterday on this after a caller said he'd wouldn't want them to make the playoffs because in his words "its better never to be invited to the party, then go and get kicked out" or something to that effect.  Meaning its too tough for the psyche to lose in the playoffs so its better not to go.  Sounded absurd to me.  Otherwise, what's left in this argument having the 14 pick in the draft versus the 20th? That wouldn't matter either.

Maybe in previous years, I'd be worried about draft position.  But SM has proved he can find talent just about anywhere in the draft (Crowder and Jarrett for example).  So I really couldn't care any less where we pick.  I'd much rather win the division.  From there, you just never know.

Of course I'd be okay with it. It extends our season and, who knows, maybe at that point we will have changed our mindset. The fact that we actually made the playoffs makes me think that we went on a run to get there, which means we played our asses off down the stretch. GO SKINS! HTTR!!

Potential upside to making the playoffs:

1. The Cowboys, Eagles and Giants don't!

---If the Giants wind up with a really bad record, Coughlin might step down.

---If Philly winds up in the cellar, Kelly's tenure as HC is seriously destabilized.

---if The Cowboys fizzle, Jerry Jones might do something stupid, trying to shake things up.

2. The Skins get a little more confidence in the development of this team into "Winners."

3. The Skins get a sampling of 'playoff level' football (I feel it's a higher-intensity level).

4. Who knows? They might get hot at the right time and deeper into the playoffs than expected.

5. More quality free agents might be attracted to this team, since it's no longer a doormat.

Potential downside to making the playoffs

1. Skins got get blown out in an embarrassing loss for an early exit.

2. Renewing Skins players contracts (notably those of Cousins, K-Rob, etc) will be more costly.

3. Skins wind up with a less favorable draft position.

Bottom Line: "...Paloffs Baby!!!!"

Right now at 4-6 the thought is "we have a shot at getting in, even if we won't make it past the divisional round."

But go 5-1 or 6-0 and the narrative will be "we were hanging with Carolina until the Culliver penalty" or "we were toe to toe with Arizona last year in a game where Kirk was an INT machine."

If you make the playoffs it's a good season, regardless of how poopy the division is and regardless of whether or not we get shelled in our first/only playoff game.

Playoffs mean progress.  Progress makes this a more attractive organization, and hopefully it's contagious.

Also, keep in mind that with Scot this team is only going to get better with each draft and FA class.  If we make the playoffs now that is a VERY good sign.

Archived