Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Exhibit A as to why I'm a HUGE Cam Newton fan...

RonArtest15

This is too funny...

Dear Mr. Newton,

Congratulations on your win in Nashville today. Our team played well, but yours played better. Kudos to the Panthers organization.

That game happened to be my nine year old daughter’s first live NFL experience. She was surprised to see so many Panthers’ fans sitting in our section of the stadium; that doesn’t happen much at fourth grade football games. And she was excited we were near the end zone, so we would be close to the “action,” particularly in the second half.

Because of where we sat, we had a close up view of your conduct in the fourth quarter. The chest puffs. The pelvic thrusts. The arrogant struts and the ‘in your face’ taunting of both the Titans’ players and fans. We saw it all.

A Tennessee mom to Cam Newton: Here’s what my 9-year-old saw

Cam Newton plays an EXCITING brand of football.  I've been a fan of his since he burst onto the scene at Auburn.  Players celebrate...big plays and small.  Like Cam said...if you want him to stop his celebrations, then keep him out of the end zone. 

I'm sure someone will bring up his past, but that's not the point of the article.  I also wonder if "Rosemary" wrote an editorial for all the good things Cam does off the field?  Probably not.  I also wonder if she stayed up to watch SNF too see Carson Palmer do this:

1522472624152367792.gif

This crap has been going on with Cam from day one.  Who else would have their SMILE scrutinized? 

PFW's Nolan Nawrocki wrote this about quarterback Cam Newton: "Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup.  Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them.  Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example.  Immature and has had issues with authority.  Not dependable.”

Link

C'mon now...pathetic. And I think there are some huge racial undertones with a lot of the criticism that he gets. 

I hope Cam keeps doing what he does...except for this Sunday LOL. 

So you reference an obscure article written about Cam over 4 years ago (before he was drafted) in an attempt to make a point about "racial undertones"? When you're loud and showy, people want to see you fail. See Ronda Rousy. Nobody is complaining about how Teddy Bridgewater acts. 

I'm not surprised that you are a Ron "Artest" fan. 

So you reference an obscure article written about Cam over 4 years ago (before he was drafted) in an attempt to make a point about "racial undertones"? When you're loud and showy, people want to see you fail. See Ronda Rousy. Nobody is complaining about how Teddy Bridgewater acts. 

I'm not surprised that you are a Ron "Artest" fan. 

And I'm not surprised that you're somewhat blind to not realize that there are racial undertones with some of the criticism that Newton gets.  Who else gets criticized for having a ****ing disingenuous smile?  Skip ahead to this Op ed about his dancing and it's all there.

Keep trying to move the goalposts for your argument...it's amusing. 

And I'm not surprised that you're somewhat blind to not realize that there are racial undertones with some of the criticism that Newton gets.  Who else gets criticized for having a ****ing disingenuous smile?  Skip ahead to this Op ed about his dancing and it's all there.

Keep trying to move the goalposts for your argument...it's amusing. 

Still referencing the 4 year old article? Talk about trying to move the goal posts. 

Personally, I think most of the criticism Cam receives is for taking other people's personal property (not even including the laptop) and taunting opposing team's players and fans. Not because of his skin tone. Did Avery Williamson, along with other Titans players that didn't like his dance, have "racial undertones" when they tried to get him to stop celebrating? I know I would be upset if a player from another team came to FedEx and celebrated in excess of 45 seconds after scoring, ran out to the 15 yard line to get the ball and then come to our stands. I don't blame people for feeling a bit upset about his antics. I didn't like it when Manziel acted this way (remember when Merril Hoge criticized him by calling him a juvenile punk?), and I don't like it when Cam does it. 

One player you're a fan of punched a fan, the other stole a banner from a military officer that paid thousands of dollars to watch him play. Great choices. 

The letter writer works for a PR firm - likely trying to get some free publicity and entirely successful at it too.

In addition to Carson Palmer, don't think she liked what Drew Stanton did either...

You ball like Cam ball's you get to celebrate... in fact the NFL needs more celebration.  If I were commish I would re-instate the fun celebrations -- it was pretty much a weekly Chad Johnson or Steve Smith celebration war... my favorite was Steve Smith sliding down the goalposts ala Super Mario Brothers.  I think it must've been 2002 to 2006.... man that was some fun they let those players have.

I can't really think of any *recent* Redskin celebrations - the "Fun Bunch" was before my time... sure flipping into the end zone... (or was it just flying into the end zone?) from Sean Taylor and Clinton Portis....

...Who else gets criticized for having a ****ing disingenuous smile?  Skip ahead to this Op ed about his dancing and it's all there....

There's a reporter name Rick Telander who writes for the Chicago Sun Times. He often makes references about how Cutler isn't successful because he doesn't smile enough (people in the locker room apparently want a QB who smiles more).  So, no, it's not just Cam that gets overly criticized.

Honestly, I think Cam is kind of douchey. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, he just sort of seems like that guy on the basketball team that plays well sometimes, but never stops running his mouth. It's annoying, even when he's on your team. (Sort of like Laron Landry celebrating a tackle after the ball carrier went 20 yards.)

I don't watch Cam much, because I didn't like him in college, but I don't think he's a bad dude.

Cam Newton ripping down that banner was a bit unruly and disrespectful. That being said if I were a Panthers fan I probably would have thought it was badass.

Actually, I've got a friend who's a Panthers fan and was all pissed because one of the Packers took a football from Cam that he was going to give to a fan. He didn't realize that Cam had essentially done the same thing earlier in the game.

One thing about the NFL that bothers me is, they want to take away the "individualism" from the game, you know; the "look at me" style. I'm for that. I hate guys giving the first down sign after a 3 yard gain. I hate defenders acting like an idiot in the middle of the field after the RB ran for 15 yards, but he makes a hard tackle.

But, I never understood why they wanted to get rid of the Fun Bunch, the Falcons DirtyBird or the Rams Bob-n-Weave. They were "team" celebrations and in NO WAY taunted the other team. I'd rather see that, then these fools girating all over the place. I'd rather see Cam and his teamates do a choreographed dance then to see him by himself.

Now, on to the controversy. I live here in the Charlotte area. I don't hate the team. But I have to say that Cam has that smug, douchey look on his face all of the time. When they are winning, he's the smuggest person on the field. Lose and Mr. Smug pouts all over the place. I will say that he has gotten better with that since he first came in the league. I will say that he was right when he told them, "if you don't want me celebrating, keep me out of the endzone."

Watching the replay, I get the vibe from the Titans players, it wasn't so much that he danced and acted like an idiot. I think what they had a problem with is, HOW LONG he was standing there. Almost like a batter watching his HR ball and not even moving off the plate. My thought is that he lingered with the celebration a little too long for their liking. I'd like to find out from the players themselves.

Someone should have told that lady that the NFL is probably the last place you want to take a child. Of the four major sports, I feel it's the most fan "unfriendly" game out there. You have to have thick skin and ears.

Still referencing the 4 year old article? Talk about trying to move the goal posts. 

Personally, I think most of the criticism Cam receives is for taking other people's personal property (not even including the laptop) and taunting opposing team's players and fans. Not because of his skin tone. Did Avery Williamson, along with other Titans players that didn't like his dance, have "racial undertones" when they tried to get him to stop celebrating? I know I would be upset if a player from another team came to FedEx and celebrated in excess of 45 seconds after scoring, ran out to the 15 yard line to get the ball and then come to our stands. I don't blame people for feeling a bit upset about his antics. I didn't like it when Manziel acted this way (remember when Merril Hoge criticized him by calling him a juvenile punk?), and I don't like it when Cam does it. 

One player you're a fan of punched a fan, the other stole a banner from a military officer that paid thousands of dollars to watch him play. Great choices. 

Because that 4 year article is relevant in the grand scheme of things when you consider the BS that this dude has to deal with. 

Oh...you mean Avery "Hotline Bling" Williamson?  Pot, meet kettle. 

How is it a big deal that he's dancing after scoring TDs...? How is it "excessive behavior"? Give me a break. Like he said, if you don't like him dancing, keep him from scoring TDs. Same thing for what pjfootballer said about how he hates players giving the first down signal after a catch. Don't like it? Stop the player from getting the first down...

Same thing for what pjfootballer said about how he hates players giving the first down signal after a catch. Don't like it? Stop the player from getting the first down...

I don't think the opposition cares as much about 1st down celebrations as we fans do.  I think Redskins fans feel it the most because we've seen it so often in losing seasons where we have guys that have to jump up, pound their chest, spin the ball and make an enthusiastic first down gesture down by multiple scores in the 4th quarter.

Because that 4 year article is relevant in the grand scheme of things when you consider the BS that this dude has to deal with. 

Oh...you mean Avery "Hotline Bling" Williamson?  Pot, meet kettle. 

Right... and noooone of this BS is brought on by himself. 

Whether or not Avery Williamson celebrated/danced at some point is not really relevant to my point. I was asking if he had racial undertones in wanting Cam to stop? Not if he was a hypocrite about dancing. You seem to have missed that. As well as some other things. No rebuttal for the other points I made? Just keep ignoring them and keep pointing to racism. 

Right... and noooone of this BS is brought on by himself. 

Whether or not Avery Williamson celebrated/danced at some point is not really relevant to my point. I was asking if he had racial undertones in wanting Cam to stop? Not if he was a hypocrite about dancing. You seem to have missed that. As well as some other things. No rebuttal for the other points I made? Just keep ignoring them and keep pointing to racism. 

Damn you genetics for blessing me with a great smile. 

If you had points, I would make a rebuttal.  But you don't.  Stop flattering yourself. 

I don't think the opposition cares as much about 1st down celebrations as we fans do.  I think Redskins fans feel it the most because we've seen it so often in losing seasons where we have guys that have to jump up, pound their chest, spin the ball and make an enthusiastic first down gesture down by multiple scores in the 4th quarter.

Exactly...Santana Moss and Pierre Garcon came to mind immediately. 

I miss funny celebrations, watching Cam dance for too long when I already think he's a dbag is annoying. Aaron R DDC and the Cam Superman are equally annoying. chad Johnson using a marker to putt after a TD, thats funny and worth my time. 

Spike the ball, jumo in the air, first pump, whatever... but dont salsa dance and all around dbag dance. I hope we shut him down this week. 

Yet people seem to love Gronk and his on/off the field antics.

Yeah, for the record, I hate Gronk worse than I hate Cam. At least Cam doesn't dress like this:

be1e3793ab057d33e10ba2a85af6b8ae_crop_ex

I would be perfectly happy if someone ran up and kicked him in the balls between plays. Again, the guy doesn't seem like a bad dude, but he happens to play for a team that beats us regularly, and soundly.

Also, for the record, I HATE dancing celebrations. None of them actually look normal, they all look like an idiot thinking he looks cool while trying to look cool. It's terrible. Alfred's homer celebration is awesome. Aaron Rodgers looks like a douche when he does the belt thing.

Cam Newton seems like a genuinely nice guy, with a great smile, and a lot of confidence.  From what I see on viral facebook videos and twitter feeds, Cam Newton does A TON of charity stuff and works closely with sick kids on a weekly basis.

However, shame on him for dancing in the endzone, just like 87 other NFL players do.

Do you guys hear yourselves?!

Archived