Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

16 FA - CT25, Jr., Ribs, Blackmon, LJLP, Colt, Ked, Foster, Nacho re-sign! JOSH NORMAN, Booth, Toler, Vern, Garvin, Bruton, Reyes sign!

DC9

If you see or hear of a Redskins signing, post a tweet, link, or a SOURCE in your post and I'll update the Original Post here as well as the thread title (space permitting).

This thread will only be as good as your participation, and we are normally renowned for having the most up to date Redskins FA tracker on the net. So let's have at it!

Link to 2016 Free Agent List: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Link to Active Redskins Salary Cap Tracker: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/

Some important dates for the 2016 League Year:

8 February - First day for teams to waive/cut players

22 February - First day for teams to designate a franchise/transition tagged player

23-29 February - NFL Scouting Combine

7 March - Franchise/Transition Tag Deadline

9 March - Free Agency Begins (4 pm EST)

15-17 March - Annual League Meeting

28-30 April - NFL Draft

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUTS/PLAYERS HITTING FA:

(7 March 16)
- Robert Griffin, III, QB
- Jason Hatcher, DT/DE
- Darell Young, FB
- Keenan Robinson, ILB
- Terrance Knighton, NT
- Jeron Johnson, S
- Dashon Goldson, S
- Tom Compton, OT

(14 April 16)

- Jackson Jeffcoat

(2 May 16)

- Chris Culliver

(17 May 16)

- Andre Roberts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESERVE/FUTURES SIGNINGS:

(11 JAN 16)

http://es.redskins.com/topic/398413-press-release-redskins-sign-seven-to-reservefuture-contracts/

RB Mack Brown, 5-11, 214lbs, University of Florida, 24 years old
WR LaRon Byrd, 6-4, 230lbs, The U, 26 years old
T Takoby Cofield, 6-4, 304lbs, Duke, 23 years old
DL Anthony Johnson, 6-2, 317lbs, LSU, 22 years old
CB Al Louis-Jean, 6-1, 187lbs, Boston College, 22 years old
C Austin Reiter, 6-3, 273lbs, South Florida, 24 years old
OLB Lynden Trail, 6-7, 260lbs, Norfolk State, 24 years old

(14 JAN 16)

http://es.redskins.com/topic/398515-press-release-redskins-sign-lb-willie-jefferson-to-reservefuture-contract/

OLB Willie Jefferson, 6-5, 241lbs, Stephen F. Austin, 24 years old

(2 Feb 16)

http://es.redskins.com/topic/398939-press-release-redskins-sign-dl-ziggy-hood-to-reservefuture-contract/

DE Ziggy Hood, 6-3, 300lbs, Mizzou, 28 years old

(26 Feb 16)

Adam SchefterVerified account ‏@AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago

Redskins are tagging QB Kirk Cousins, per league source. Only decision left is whether team uses franchise or transition tag on him.

(3 Mar 16)
Kirk Cousins signs his franchise tag

(8 Mar 16)
Colt McCoy, QB, re-signs
Kedric Golston, Survivor, re-signs
Mason Foster, ILB, re-signs
Duke Ihenacho, S, re-signs

11 March 16
Logan Paulsen, TE, re-signs

14 March 16
Will Blackmon, CB, re-signs

15 March 16
Junior Galette, OLB/DE, re-signs

16 March 16
Josh LeRibeus, OG/C, re-signs

16 March 16
Chris Thompson, RB, re-signs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FA SIGNINGS:

11 March 16
DE/DT - Kendall Reyes - 6-4, 300lbs, UCONN, 26 years old (Chargers)

15 March 16
S - David Bruton - 6-2, 217lbs, Notre Dame, 28 years old (Broncos)

16 March 16

ILB - Terence Garvin - 6-3, 221lbs, West Virginia, 25 years old (Steelers)

16 March 16

TE - Vernon Davis - 6-3, 245lbs, Maryland, 32 years old (49ers/Broncos)

13 April 16

CB - Greg Toler - 6-0, 190lbs, St Paul's, 31 years old (Colts/Cardinals)

18 April 16

OL - Cody Booth - 604, 292lbs, Temple, 25 years old (Bears/Jags)

22 April 16

CB- Josh Norman - 6-0, 190lbs, Coastal Carolina, 28 years old (Panthers)

Wow, good to know.  Is there any way his numbers could be inaccurate?  He has seem to be pretty spot on in the past.  It also speaks volumes that we are going into this potentially bountiful situation with two of our core high-salaried players already locked up.  Plus our team, while losing games, has been much more competitive overall than recent years past.  From their cut list, I would like to see if Jackson can be re-structured to stay on for a bit.  

Here is a 2016 depth chart I keep. Fairly accurate but not 100%

QB     Griffin III(16.155)     

RB     Jones(.699)     C. Thompson(ERFA)     Redd(.603)      

FB          

TE     Reed(.833)     Carrier(.925)     Paul(1.833)     

WR     Garcon(10.200)     Roberts(5.00)     Ross(.525)    

WR     Jackson(9.25)     Grant(.653)     Crowder(.661)     

LT     Williams(10.7)      T. Compton(ERFA)     

LG     Lauvao(5.00)     Kouandjio(.655)     

C     Lichtensteiger(4.050)     

RG     Scherff(4.822)     Long(.763)     

RT     Moses(.864)     Nsekhe(.600)     

RDE     Hatcher(8.750)     Jean-Francois(3.00)     

NT     

LDE     Baker(4.00)     Paea(4.700)     

ROLB     T. Murphy(1.220)     Bates(.525)     Gayle(.525)

ILB     Riley(5.05)     Hayward(1.045)     

ILB     W. Compton(RFA)      Spaight(.584)     

LOLB     Kerrigan(8.450)     Smith(1.313)     

CB     Culliver(9.250)     Hall(5.063)     Everett(ERFA)     

CB     Breeland(.722)     Dunbar(ERFA)

SS     Ihenecho(RFA)     Johnson(1.275)     

FS     Goldson(8.00)     Jarrett(.559)     

LS     Sundberg(1.163)     

K     Hopkins(ERFA)

P     Way(RFA)     

Perhaps. I think our OLB situation is solid though. Of course pairing RK and Von would be straight nasty.

Miller is about to get PAID though and that's the only reason I pass.

If the Redskins pay big bucks for anyone this off-season, it should be Von Miller.  I don't see how the Bronco's could afford him unless Manning retires. 

Kerrigan/Miller/Smit/Galette/Murphy (Unless DE?) would be a good OLB corp

Assuming all starters return for the Redskins (I don't know what Scott thinks on some of these players), the positions I would look for and the type of player is:

C:  Need an upgrade here.  Want a big, physical mauler.  (Some said Long could play C coming out of college, but I still want G/C added to the roster)

ILB:  Move Robinson to the weak side and insert a thumper on the strongside.

SS:  Weddle  /discussion for me (Nacho can back him up).

FS:  As much as I want a move here, I don't know that there is a veteran upgrade out there.  Maybe a rookie to groom behind Goldson.

RB:  Gonna need someone to replace Morris is my thinking.  If he comes back on the cheap that's fine with me.  

DL/ILB/CB:  Depth additions

I will go through your link and try to pick specific players, but I am more than happy to have 1 big addition (Von Miller?) and then build through the draft. 

If the Redskins pay big bucks for anyone this off-season, it should be Von Miller.  I don't see how the Bronco's could afford him unless Manning retires. 

Kerrigan/Miller/Smit/Galette/Murphy (Unless DE?) would be a good OLB corp

At the cost of what though? 

If you could chose between Von Miller and Litch at C or what we have and maybe another draft pick at OLB and Steve Wiznewski anchoring the center of the line, which way do you go?

Personally, I'm putting that monster in the middle of our line and never worrying about it for the next three years, while Scherff and AK, Long or whoever grows on the other side of him, walking down the field, pounding the football behind him and letting P Smith continue to improve (he looks like the real deal) and hoping Murphy can bulk into a DE, which I think he can.

If I want to spend big bucks at LB, I go after Rey or McClain to pair with KRobb.

Does anyone know if we opt out of Desean Jackson's 3rd year -- does that make him a FA where we get potentially a comp pick or is it just like he's been released?  Ditto Garcon?

I'd rather keep one of these guys especially Desean versus going shopping for WR.  Love Jeffery but assume the Bears worst case would franchise him.  

If you could chose between Von Miller and Litch at C or what we have and maybe another draft pick at OLB and Steve Wiznewski anchoring the center of the line, which way do you go?

Personally, I'm putting that monster in the middle of our line and never worrying about it for the next three years, while Scherff and AK, Long or whoever grows on the other side of him, walking down the field, pounding the football behind him and letting P Smith continue to improve (he looks like the real deal) and hoping Murphy can bulk into a DE, which I think he can.

If I want to spend big bucks at LB, I go after Rey or McClain to pair with KRobb.

Why would there have to be "at the cost of what" here?  

Did you miss the part about $50 million+ in cap space?  

At QB I'm looking at resigning Cousins because I don't think there is a FA or Rookie that could come in and do any better.  I'd bring back McCoy as a backup and look at drafting Carson Wentz in the 3rd-4th round.  He comes from a power running FCS (IAA) team and ended up getting hurt this year but is one of the most physically gifted QB's in this year's draft.  

Give him 2-3 years to develop and I think we may have a diamond in the rough.

Why would there have to be "at the cost of what" here?  

Did you miss the part about $50 million+ in cap space?  

No, thanks to Bruce and his ability to work the cap, we are in great shape. The cap can also carry a portion over to the following year, which realistically, is when we'd be looking to seriously contend.

We are losing KRob, TKight and a few others. We have holes to fill in with that money. Having 50 large, doesn't mean we have the cap space to outbid everyone else, to get all the top FAs.

No, thanks to Bruce and his ability to work the cap, we are in great shape. The cap can also carry a portion over to the following year, which realistically, is when we'd be looking to seriously contend.

We are losing KRob, TKight and a few others. We have holes to fill in with that money. Having 50 large, doesn't mean we have the cap space to outbid everyone else, to get all the top FAs.

The way they have played, KRob and TKnight could be brought back on cap-friendly deals.  I could see Miller with one of the ILB you talked about both being signed.  Sign Weddle and a G/C and then build through the draft.  3-4 additions through FA (3D/1O) and maybe some depth guys then draft.  

I don't think this team is that far away, it's just that some of the holes are BIG HOLES.  Shore up the middle on O and D and this team instantly improves.  

Free agency blows. Hope we don't go on a shopping spree. We have a team full of free agents and we are 3-5. It has never won us anything in the past. Only thing it does is get the fan base excited. Sign some guys on the cheap but that should be it.

Free agency blows. Hope we don't go on a shopping spree. We have a team full of free agents and we are 3-5. It has never won us anything in the past. Only thing it does is get the fan base excited. Sign some guys on the cheap but that should be it.

If you supplement your draft with FA, it's fine. Our problem in the past was that we weren't building a foundation through the draft...we're doing that now and don't have many of our own guys left to sign. No reason not to spend some to improve in FA.

Well, Wiesniewski have me concerned. Sure he seemed like a great addition at C, but we could have got him this year if we really wanted him. So I guess we're not gonna go for him. I feel like we're gonna go after a C in the draft, baring any trades of course.

And I believe that Denver will find a way to sign Miller again. I really don't think he'll make it to FA status at any point. Or they'll be making one freaking huge mistake.

If you supplement your draft with FA, it's fine. Our problem in the past was that we weren't building a foundation through the draft...we're doing that now and don't have many of our own guys left to sign. No reason not to spend some to improve in FA.

Was about to make the same response.  That analysis is becoming outdated.

On Offense 8/11 starters (7/11 if Lavauo was in) were drafted by the Redskins, with many players (Crowder, Jones, Thompson, Paul if not injured) having major contributions.

Defense is more like 4 or 5 starters depending on Baker, but I anticipate that changing as we move forward.  Also can see a player like Jarrett having a big role in the future.

I guess the question is do they keep starting a player like Riley so they are playing a draft pick or look to upgrade with a FA?  I'd prefer the latter. 

I think it's going to be interesting to see which 'Skins FAs are going to be re-signed by GMSM.  

I would assume that they're going to re-sign Cousins, and also assume they will release Griffin.  

Other notables (I think)

Alfred Morris (RB)

Chris Thompson (RB)

Logan Paulsen (TE)

Junior Galette (LB - I think they have some type of an option)

Keenen Robinson (ILB)

Will Compton (ILB)

There appear to be some others, but I think those are the big ones.

I would assume that they'd re-sign Chris Thompson, and one of the ILBs.  Probably none of the others.

Junior Galette (LB - I think they have some type of an option)

TK hinted he'll be back.  Hopefully he keeps his nose clean.

Now I would be curious to see if Keenan might want to play OUTSIDE if he can't play inside.  Maybe this benching will open his eyes, but Compton has been in my good graces since the first time I saw him I believe in Tennessee in a preseason game.

btw, I forgot the biggest FA (Literally): Pot Roast.  I want to see him back, but that might be more because I love his nickname, and I think he's a quality guy in the locker-room.  

TK hinted he'll be back.  Hopefully he keeps his nose clean.

Now I would be curious to see if Keenan might want to play OUTSIDE if he can't play inside.  Maybe this benching will open his eyes, but Compton has been in my good graces since the first time I saw him I believe in Tennessee in a preseason game.

If Galette comes back full-speed, that's a huge lift for the pass rush.

I don't know what's up with Keenan.  He seems like he would be a really good fit in the inside with his athletic ability, but hasn't been playing well.  Tough for him to move outside, though, assuming that Galette comes back, with Kerrigan, Murphy and Smith all under contract.   Now, I think he'd stand to oust Murphy, who's not very athletic.

I think they could sign Will Compton on the cheap.  But they've GOT to find a way to upgrade the ILBs.  Riley and Compton aren't good enough.  They need at least 1 new starter, either through the draft or FA.

Compton had a good game today. He'll be signed if he keeps on at this pace. Morris got 100 yards rushing...

We'll have to wait to see how it unfolds and see how it ends. But there might be some surprise guys retained if they keeps on playing like this.

I can't imagine Morris coming back.  I think the coaching staff prefers Matt Jones anyway, and they won't want to tie up money with RBs.  I think much more likely they bring back Thompson than Morris.  My 2 cents.

We can save:
$16 million by cutting RGIII
$8 million by cutting Garcon
$8 million by cutting Goldson
$4.25 million by cutting Hatcher
$3.5 million by cutting Hall
$4 million by cutting Riley
$3 million by cutting Roberts

But of course, we have players to resign. Maybe we bring back Goldson and Garcon on more team-friendly deals.

And it's important to note: given all of the veteran talent we added on the defensive line in the last two seasons -- Knighton, Paea, Hatcher, Jean-Francois -- it's Chris Baker who's played the best. And Golston has seized a ton of playing time. And given our big-name, high priced receiving duo, homegrown Jamison Crowder has been our most consistent wide receiver.

We should be using our cap space to sign Jordan Reed to a long-term extension at better team value than what will be available on the eve of his free agency. Ditto Bashaud Breeland.

Moreover, unused cap space can be pushed into future years. We're not close to a Superbowl run, so we should be keeping an eye on having plenty of space to lock up guys like Moses and Long, and then Crowder and Jones, while maintaining tons of flexibility to take chances on other veterans

I think they could sign Will Compton on the cheap.  But they've GOT to find a way to upgrade the ILBs.  Riley and Compton aren't good enough.  They need at least 1 new starter, either through the draft or FA.

I can't imagine Morris coming back.  I think the coaching staff prefers Matt Jones anyway, and they won't want to tie up money with RBs.  I think much more likely they bring back Thompson than Morris.  My 2 cents.

You're probably right regarding Morris. I may probably be just to sentimental regarding him.

Archived