Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Burgold's Book Tour: Going back to Mars Con (Williamsburg, VA) on Jan 13

Burgold

Amazon is having a 30% discount on books right now. It's a great opportunity to buy a book at a slight discount. Just use the promocode HOLIDAY30.

It works on books other than Halo of Mushrooms, but if you were thinking about buying the book... it's a nice way to do so at a little cheaper price.

------------------------------------------------------

So, it's getting really close. The proof to the paperback was mailed to me last week. It's really something to actually feel my book in my hand. I've heard thousands of my pieces on the radio, seen myself in print before, but when I saw it I shouted, "My book is a BOOK!" It looked amazing! I'm now reading through it again and checking for any flaw in formatting or editing that might have been missed, but it looks like everything is a go for the official release on December 1.

Best stocking stuffer ever :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0996958207?keywords=a%20halo%20of%20mushrooms%20paperback&qid=1447421201&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

So far, Charles de Lint, a fantasy writer that I've been reading since the 80's has agreed to read it and offer me a blurb for the front cover and I've secured one public radio interview on the 18th. I've got another very strong nibble, but I need a writer from Maine to secure that one. Also, I've been contacting bloggers and reviewers like mad.

Yesterday, my novel was officially added to Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27504852-a-halo-of-mushrooms .I'm hopeful that the people who discover it will fall in love with it, review it, and maybe even recommend it to their fellow readers. 

Extremeskins has been my home for more than a decade now. It's amazing the roads we've traveled together. I remember when my first pieces got on NPR and we just celebrated together. I want to thank everyone who has supported my work in the past. Frankly, your encouragement and criticism has helped me grow. I'll keep you advised as to how things are going. I hope that's okay.

About the book itself:

A Halo of Mushrooms

In a place of origins, the first Fairie Ring withers. Worlds die. Wonder fades. As its last ripple reaches out, fell creatures barricade up the few remaining Bald Mushrooms and wars are fought for the right to possess what precious little remains…. Until Derik, a healer, creeps through lines of armies, thorns, and traps to steal one. 

Sacrilege. 

Tying the wonder to his hip in a sack, he finds himself alone on Earth in the gray, declining city of Clarksburg. Without friends, tools, weapons, and even stripped of the ability to read, he must escape pursuit and find refuge for his burden. A burden that stubbornly refuses every attempt to find it a new home. 
Shadows of war are descending and all Derik has to fend it off is a baker, a chemist, a cerulean sweet, and a withered hope. 
The chase is on....from world to world and from the Great Lakes to Malawi.

If you want to read a preview of the book feel free to go to http://andrewhiller.net/a-halo-of-mushrooms-preview

Congrats! You know Karla and I think the world of you.

Our daughter adores fairies right now, but she's only 3. Is there anything in the book that would be inappropriate for a family read-aloud? Either way you can put us down for a copy and we can always save it until she's older.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of running a short free promotion to try to boost the number of reviews/garner attention, but I'm undecided about it. I'm not sure how much bang for the buck you get and worse, I don't know if people who read a free copy would write a review or just email the pdf to their friends. There's so much piracy these days.

I did put the teaser up on my website and I'm looking into how to put a preview/teaser of a couple of chapters up on Goodreads. After all, the other side holds too... why would you buy something unless you know something about the quality even if it is 3.00 for the eBook or 12.99 for the over-sized paperback.

The other thing I was playing with though was an ES specific promotion. If it's cool, I thought it'd be kind of fun if I donated a dollar from every paperback sold (to an ES member) to an Extremeskins charity. A dollar might not sound like a lot, but it's about a 1/3 of the profit the book will make after Amazon subtracts printing and other costs. Would anyone be into that?

Thanks Kao!

I think after "knowing" each other for a decade it's safe to say we know each other our virtual has become reality. I feel that way with a lot of characters on this board. From their posts and what they choose to talk about you get to know the personality behind the persona... and I think the ones that stay mostly type as themselves.

Let me know what you think (and if you like/love it feel free to add a note on Goodreads/amazon or wherever)

Here it is! My novel as a paperback!

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Mushrooms-Andrew-Hiller/dp/0996958207/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447413189&sr=1-1&keywords=a+halo+of+mushrooms+paperback

Fun note: I was talking to the distributor yesterday over the glitch and when looking it up she volunteered that she found the cover really cool. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but we worked really hard on it and had lots of iterations before we chose this one!

Remember, if you buy the paperback version let me know. I'm still waiting for an official okay to add it to the thread title (I may officially ask today instead of just asking in the OP) but if it's cool with ES I will donate a dollar from each ES paperback sale to an ES charity.

Thanks again!

And remember, if you don't buy my book you are probably a Philly fan ;)

Just out of curiousity Burg, how are the different formats handled by Amazon handled?  Do you see a different cut on paperback vs ebook?  I see you promoting the hardcopy and I wonder why.  Ebooks seem like they would be cheaper to produce so would provide additional profit.  Likely there is something I'm not considering.  

Also, I see that the book is covered under Kindle Unlimited, which I broke down and subscribed to after seeing a couple months where I was approaching $100 for books.  How are authors treated in that process?

The eBook and paperback are handled by different companies even though in my case they are partnered (a part of Amazon)  I think the reason I'm pushing the paperback a little harder is because I'm old fashioned and like the idea of a book as a book :)  The other thing is that because eBooks are cheap... mine is selling for 2.99 a download, the split is definitely less than on the paper. When I researched comparable tradeback paperback sizes at B&N, their 6x9's were selling between 14.99 and 19.99 for the most part. I'm selling mine at 10.99 because I do feel that there should be a discount.

To give way too much info... Amazon's and the distributors' cut wind up being about 8 dollars a book which will leave me about a 3.00 a book royalty. That's still enough for me to shave some off the top to give to an ES charity. To take a buck off the eBook price would basically be a break even or worse (I have to double check).

I'm trying to learn the business side as I go. I will run some promotions also which I'll let the folks here about. I do know there are several trigger points in Amazon's algorithms where if you hit certain sale numbers or reviews they begin making your book more visible or even promote it.

Anyway, that's the business side. As for the reader side, I'm really happy with the early response to the content. People are enjoying the book and that matters most of all!!!

Cool, I got my inside view of the process!  I've wondered about the differences considering how much my habits have changed.  My eyes aren't so good and I like being able to change the print size and font, and what with the ease in holding my kindle with one hand while lying down in different positions, I've switched over to it almost completely.  Being able to travel with a number of books in a small package has also proven to be very, very useful.  It does take something away knowing that authors aren't treated as well.  I have to believe over time that will change.

The power of holding printed words when they're your own must be a little heady.  In a good way.  I think I'd get a big kick outta that - you might even catch me dancing a little jig. :P  In my mind's eye I picture you dancing one, holding a copy of the book with that way cool cover and thinking 'holy smokes' I did it.  

I still like the smell of real books, something imprinted on my lizard brain shortly after birth I'm sure.  My mom was a career librarian so books were always around the house in abundance.   I'm happy to get a paperback in any case.  

james-click-heels-o.gif

Hippy Burgold dancing a little jig

Thanks Grego!

Favor to ask everyone. Would you please like my book's Facebook page (if you do Facebook), better would be to buy the book, but I need help on all fronts to keep this moving. 

As a bonus, if you go to the page you will be able to see R2D2 and Darth Vader reading my book in non photoshopped pictures that were taken yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/haloofmushrooms/

You can't be the first to buy the book (that role's already been claimed), but you can still be my favorite customer.

I think I would have been happy reading this at 10-11, but I was also reading adult books at that age. It's not written as a YA book, but for adults. I'd say it is family friendly. My editor and I had discussions on this in terms of marketing. We agreed that it is not a kid's book, but accessible to kids who like the fantasy genre and have a pretty good vocabulary.

There is violence, but not a lot of described gore. There are no sex scenes. 

Feel free to PM for more details... or just ask and I'll answer in the thread.

Archived