Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ultimate Standings: Redskins finish last in NFL at 120th (ESPN the Magazine)

StephenDavis

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13846660/washington-redskins-drop-worst-nfl-team-ultimate-standings

Link at the top:

Here is the link to the list of other teams: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/13848194/from-san-antonio-spurs-toronto-maple-leafs-all-122-pro-sports-franchises-ranked

Not sure if everyone is tired of debating articles like this one, but I never remembered us being ranked almost last in similar articles when taking into account all professional teams. Thought it deserved some discussion. Lock it if not. Thanks.

We all know we've had a rough go at it since Gibbs 1.0 to put it lightly. But I find it interesting how the rest of the world views our team. We're ranked last among NFL franchises and 120th out of 122 American professional sports teams. We managed to beat out the Knicks and Maple Leafs. Titles won were taken into account and we still finished dead last in the NFL rankings. Other categories for the rankings include affordability, coaching, fan relations, ownership, players and stadium experience. And yet we are one of the most valuable sports teams in the world. In my "fan" mind we don't deserve to be ranked so low considering we have 3 Lombardi Trophy's in our history. I still think overall we are a better franchise than the Browns, Jaguars, Raiders. But this ranking seems to be pretty objective. Are we really the worst NFL Franchise/third worse in all of sports all things considered? 

I only read the part about our team but I didn't see something that explained how they weighted the different categories.  I think that should be important.  But for us to be ranked that low makes me pretty much dismiss the article.  I will compare to the Jags on just a few points to show my thoughts. 

Title track:  Empty along with a few other franchises.  We should be higher.  The fact we aren't just shows how people want instant gratification.  It's like how I hear about all the Steelers trophies.  How many were old enough to actually watch them?  You can't have it both ways.

Ownership:  To new to know much about.  But fear of the unknown should count for something.

Coaching/Players:  HAHAHA

Remaining categories:  JAX sucks.  Traffic is a pain getting in and out of there.  And you are walking through the slums.  The stadium sucks.  Yet it's pretty expensive for what you get.  I looked into tickets there and couldn't get over how expensive the tickets were compared to the product they are giving.

^^^EDIT: Excellent point Zoony.

The Redskins' average ticket cost per game last season was $146.17, $30 above league average. And fans don't feel like those funds are going to good use: They gave their franchise the worst score in football when asked if the team gets the most out of the money it spends.

Average ticket price is $146.17??  They must be counting the clubs and boxes.

How about what is the median price?  My brother has a pair in section 124 (25 yard line on the lower level).  His seats are LESS than $146.

Winning cures many things. We have been perennial losers for 20 years. What do expect?

In my eyes?

* 3-5 years to turn the team around whrre we are very solid and stable

* At least 10 years to repair the damage to our image and reputation as a franchise

I really don't understand this list. 

I know we are bad, but the Bills haven't made the playoffs since 1999, the Lions haven't won in Green Bay since 1989 the Jaguars had to install swimming pools to attract fans to the games. 

Oh well, I don't care what the rest of the world thinks about us. 

It is what it is...win and stuff like this will stop. 

I really don't understand this list.

I know we are bad, but the Bills haven't made the playoffs since 1999, the Lions haven't won in Green Bay since 1989 the Jaguars had to install swimming pools to attract fans to the games.

Oh well, I don't care what the rest of the world thinks about us.

It is what it is...win and stuff like this will stop.

On field performance is only a part of the ranking

On field performance is only a part of the ranking

True but it effects so many other categories.  If we win enough, that effects our "title track".  Our coaches will like better thus our owner will look smarter.  A good product on the field makes the ticket costs more justified, etc. 

Also, as long as that name remains, the public opinion of the team will only get worse.

That's a crock of ****, and you know it.

Most of the public don't hate the name or just don't give a damn.

Just a bunch of whiny PC liberal nonsense.

The name is going NOWHERE.

because they won't change their name to appease the PC people.

But yes, ticket prices are awful, the coaching carousel is almost as laughable as the amount of starting QB's, and the stadium sucks... And it's in an awful location which is difficult to get to, and the parking sucks... and half of the stadium is opposing teams fans (at least it was when I had season tix), and the Redskins haven't had many winning seasons in forever.

.. And it's in an awful location which is difficult to get to, and the parking sucks... and half of the stadium is opposing teams fans (at least it was when I had season tix), and the Redskins haven't had many winning seasons in forever.

I keep seeing some people repeat this and maybe it is more of a challenge for those coming from D.C. and the areas surrounding the stadium, but if you're coming from " out of town ", the stadium is not difficult to get to at all. It's easy.

If your parking in the cash lots and you have upper level tickets ( which I did for six years ), it can take a while to get out, because most people are beating you out of the stadium. Lower level with a parking pass has equaled a smooth trip getting in and out of the stadium.

Not sure when you had season tickets, but I'm having a hard time believing that fifty percent of the people you saw at the games, were fans of the opposing team.

A lot of it is that abomination of a stadium. Once we have a new one and start winning again this will be an afterthought. I for once actually think Snyder is going to let his football guys do their jobs. We are going to be a better team. Probably sooner rather then later.

Archived