Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIF Breakdown: Devonta Freeman vs Redskins - 197 YDs, 1 TD

thehbrwhammer

http://nflbreakdowns.com/devonta-freeman-redskins-wk5-2015/

Here is my film breakdown on Devonta Freeman versus the Redskins defense. Before the game the Redskins run defense was ranked 7th by DVOA rankings. Freeman only had 11 yards in the first quarter giving many 'Skins fans hope (myself included), but then he turned it on and dominated in the 3rd quarter. Here are some of his plays. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for posting these.  52 and 56 need to get off their blocks a bit better.  I worry about Riley--he's always struck me as a bit of a weak link.  Makes a huge difference in the run game, unfortunately, when LBs are getting blocked out.  It's also a consequence of playing nickle and not blitzing.  Much more difficult to stop the run because there is little resistance at the LOS in a straight nickle alignment.  In any event, something to keep an eye on.

Sometimes I think we have to remember that our Redskins are playing other professional teams and when that happens sometimes great players make great plays. It might be to early to call Freeman a great player but right now he is playing like one. And even with his eye popping stats our Redskins held them to 19 points, which before the game I would have taken in a heartbeat.

I felt the offense let down the team by not being able to get the run game going and balance out the time of possession.

Sometimes I think we have to remember that our Redskins are playing other professional teams and when that happens sometimes great players make great plays. It might be to early to call Freeman a great player but right now he is playing like one. And even with his eye popping stats our Redskins held them to 19 points, which before the game I would have taken in a heartbeat.

I felt the offense let down the team by not being able to get the run game going and balance out the time of possession.

Yep.

Freeman is a beast. He's short so he's hard to tackle and very shifty.

That is because I drafted Tevin Coleman in my fantasy league in the later rounds thinking I got a steal. This is the sole reason why Freeman exploded. I will likely cut Coleman at some point this season and Freeman will go back to being his usual self, while Coleman takes a hold of the job.

I'll let you guys know when this happens.    

not many running backs truly jump off the screen anymore, but he does.  He can turn the corner, but also bounce off contact with no problem.  He almost feels like a smaller but more explosive marshawn lynch. 

He's one of the reasons why I think it was a misconception we "gave the game away" and any of those types of thoughts.  As well as trying to place blame on one end of the team or the other.  It was a tough team loss all the way around.

We couldn't stop the run, so they had the ball for as long as they wanted even with their passing game being off.  He was destroying us that ****

Is Freeman really great or on his way to to greatness or is he just another product of the Shanahan run game? We all know what Mike Shanahan did with running backs in Denver with the likes of Orlandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell and Terrell Davis to name a few. In his time here, Alfred Morris was a tiger. One of his prodigies, Gary Kubiak, brought that running scheme to Houston when he got the job there and Arian Foster and Ben Tate put up big numbers. As the offensive coordinator in Baltimore last year, Justin Forsett had a huge year in his one season in that run game. Now Kyle is doing it with another previous low profile guy in Freeman in Atlanta. Not saying that Freeman isn't a special player, just saying that just about every back that plays in the Shanahan run scheme puts up big numbers.  

Having moved down here to GA, I've seen Freeman in a couple other games, and the dude is like LeSean McCoy a couple years back. This wasn't a Haslettized performance where an ordinary guy gets a season high performance that makes him look like a probowler. This guy genuinely is that good.

That said, I'm hoping Scot drafts a top notch replacement for P Riley next year. Robinson is a special talent, but Riley's lack of agility makes him a big liability.

Is it safe to say, that we did not stack the box to stop him, and largely stuck with the same defensive front no matter what?

I think I am seeing a recurring theme of no halftime adjustments, and overall what I call a vanilla look. Barry is at least keeping things simple for his defenders, and has had some success in that which he is doing.

Archived