Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First quarter of the season is over. Improvements/ regression/ same old, same old?

brandymac27

I was expecting a 0-4 slow start. Being 2-2 has surpassed my expectations.

The biggest difference is the offensive line. Reason Kirk isn't on the bench next to RG3.

Our Defense has been impressive. To be fair, our defense has been off the field most of the season because our offense has been killing it with the time of possession. So our numbers may be a little misleading.

I give up talking about the special teams and learned to accept a blunder per game.

3 out of 4 games look very similar which gives me hope. We have consistency. Unlike the previous years where we looked like a different team each week, but each team looked awful.

We control the clock, our defense looks immortal in the first half. But the team can't seem to counter the adjustments made at halftime. We start to crumble. Today's game reminded me of the Miami and St. Louis games. I never expect any defense to stop all drives. It's never going to happen. But our offense goes sour once our defense crumbles. Either we are perfecting both phases or neither. But we at least improve in the 4th which is important. We are no longer laying down and quitting.

Alfred Morris is not good behind a line that isn't running a ZBS 

We still run ZBS concepts. His decline is due mostly to the tread on his tires -- 1625 pro and college rushing attempts entering this year. Coinciding with an annual decline of yards per carry: 4.9, 4.6, 4.1

He was a bowling ball when he entered the league, and he hasn't been that in a while. Still an effective back with his vision, instincts, cutting ability, and durability.

(for reference, Matt Jones had 297 college rushing attempts entering the year)

Why the heck are people saying Morris has been disappointing? He's played pretty darn well, to be honest. And he's been better than Matt Jones. I like Jones, a lot. I think he's a physical, punishing runner that is extremely explosive. But he's lost two fumbles so far, and if you can't secure the ball you're not going to last long as a back.

Morris hasn't hit the home runs, and if that's what you're basing your evaluation on, then I'd agree. But a back is about much more than that and Morris is the class of the team at RB.

That doesn't mean I think Morris is the best choice past this season... and it doesn't mean I think he's not, either. I'm still undecided there. I think it'll come down to the cost to keep him here.

Thompson and Jones are an interesting combination of backs, too. We have a pretty good stable for this season. I think I'm going to enjoy watching all three for one season.

Have have have to clean up the penalties.  I don't blame the team for some of the bad calls today, personal fouls and what not, but some of these can be cleaned up.  There is no excuse for lining up wrong, or false starting at home.

I like what the defense is doing for the most part.  After 4 games there is a ton to be happy about, but also a ton to scratch my head and go WTF about also.

You don't have to look any further than the right side of the O-line to know this team is improved from last year. And continuing that trend, I'm loving the youth movement we're seeing. Rookies, Preston Smith, Matt Jones, Jamison Crowder, all featuring large. Second year guys like Rashad Ross, Ryan Grant, Spencer Long, Breeland and Moses all playing well.  We may not go far this year but these guys are all contributing and laying a solid foundation to build upon.

Overall, I'm encouraged with this start and the teams performance today and Cousins performance especially has a lot to do with that.

Alfred Morris is not good behind a line that isn't running a ZBS

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm not sure it's a coincidence that the last two games have come against stout run D's (and w/o Lauvao). Also, teams are going to focus most of their attention on defending the run with Cousins behind center. Let me amend that - teams are going to focus on limiting what we're best at (running). If Kirk (and Gruden) keep improving the passing attack, then maybe teams will have to play us differently.

Gruden would have caught a bunch of flak if he had passed more often earlier in the game (and we'd lost), even though it was apparent we were mostly struggling with the ground game. He's in a tough spot, but I think this game (hopefully) helped pave the way a bit for a (again, mostly) balanced attack with a lean toward running.

Back on topic -

Stepping back, I think the team has shown that they can perform vs the run and when running and passing. The (main?) problem is consistency. The bright side is that the large amount of injuries and number of young guys contributing should result in inconsistency... and that problem should slowly resolve itself as experience is gained. Here's hoping anyway. :)

Yea not sure where the Morris bashing is coming from. Two stout run defenses and they are game planning to take away the run. The guy always moves forward after contact. If we get the passing game going more, the running game will open up again. That being said, we need to improve halftime adjustments and things like penalties and special teams mistakes that shoot us in the foot. Add that to finishing drives with touchdowns and we can be competitive with every team in the league short of the few elite teams.

After 4 games we have been Jekyl & Hyde. Overall today's game was very well played in all aspects of the game besides a few big plays given up and the penalties. Cousins has proven he can be a good caliber NFL QB, but he needs to do it on a consistent basis. Our front 7 on defense is playing lights out and is truly making the secondary look better than they are. That's saying a lot since at times the secondary still looks bad.

Going into this season I was expecting anywhere between 4-8 wins. I'm usually overly optimistic so the 7-8 wins was just being generous. 6 wins at most was my realist expectations for them. However if they keep on improving and continue to gel as a team I can see them splitting each quarter of the season. That being said one big upset, say a big win over the Falcons, could get them to 9 wins.

9-7 could be good enough to win the East. But I don't think we are there yet. 8-8 is my final prediction. A bright future could be on the horizon in DC.

I am moving Gruden of my hot seat for now.  This season is starting to feel like a .500 season.  Play good one week,play bad the next.

We aren't consistent.  Still doing some of the same but also showing some improvement.

We end up .500, that will bode well for the future.

We'll will have to wait and see.

This team is definitely far improved over last years.  So far we have allowed 20 points or less 3 times, and last year we did that only 5 times.  The defense is playing much better, and while turnovers are still scarce, at least we are keeping teams from scoring at will.  The offense is still a work in progress, but again, this team looks much more solid overall.  Im impressed with the offensive line play, and the defensive line play.  Im still concerned about Cousins ability to put together consistent efforts, or to score say, 30 points.  Im also still concerned about some of the long TDs we have been giving up.

The defense has been dominant on any runs or passes below 30 yards.  But once it goes beyond 30 yards its a whole different story.  We have given up a total of 42 points or 10.5 points per game on good drives by the offense, practically nothing.  But we gave up a long TD to the Dolphins, one to the Rams, two to NY, and two to Philly.

This looks like a team that will hover around the .500 mark this year (anywhere from 9-7 to 7-9).

I have been pleasantly surprised by the grit and determination shown by the squad.  Today was a gritty, tough-minded Win.  The team had to have a Touchdown on that last drive & got it!  That is mental toughness - we may not have seen that sort of resolve in a Division Game last season.  So I am pleased.

However, some of our warts (Special Teams, Turnovers, Penalties) & personnel issues will limit our success over the course of the year.  I have been very critical of Gruden, but if he is able to Coach The Team to it's strengths, then we may surprise this season.

If we see a strong effort on the road, then we may need to revise our expectations.

So far, so good.

Passing game -- still a work in progress. Functional for moving the chains and maintaining time of possession in the Skins favor. They definitely need Jackson back to stretch the defense and for the occasional big gain that gets the team in the red zone.

Running game -- it's good, but teams can shut it down -- especially without Lauvao. It's a good trio of RBs -- and I suspect Morris still has plenty in the tank.

Offensive line: A pleasant surprise, but they can't have anymore injuries. LeRibeus may be gone after this year. Hoping that Long pans out enough to cover for Lichtensteiger's left side.

Tight Ends: Keeping my fingers crossed for Reeds continuing health. Carrier is a decent receiving TE, not that impressed with his blocking.

QB: Cousins is doing what is being asked of him -- for the most part, he's performed as well as expected. He and McCoy fit in well with what the Gruden/McVay offensive game-plan asks of its QB -- but we still need to see More of how well they can do on deep plays to challenge/stretch the defense. Cousins is still a work in progress, so I don't get too upset about the INTs -- especially since he's fairly decent in converting third downs.

Defensive Secondary -- Good enough (okay maybe a few question-marks) when they were healthy. At least one of those question-marks (Amerson) was resolved. Unless folks get healthy soon -- this is going to a an area of concern for the remainder of the Skins season.

Defensive Front Seven -- I love the D-line's passion. They are compensating for a sluggish start from the OLBs (yes, even Kerrigan doesn't seem to have recovered yet). Preston Smith seems to be growing into the role. ILBs playing decently -- especially K. Robinson.

Special Teams --ugh! At least we don't have to worry about them defending against kickoff returns. But everything else... Very shaky. I'm giving Kotwica develop new ST-leaders to replace Paul and Heyward .... but so far nothing seems to have gelled yet. Still a major concern.

Coaching: A work in progress. Has the team playing hard and keeping competitive. But halftime adjustments not so great. (Maybe considering the injuries and new players -- perhaps it's difficult to get players to properly execute those adjustments, so I'll be patient here too.). Penalties -- ugh, but some of this has been on the refs. At least there aren't so many delay of game penalties anymore.

yikes, from PFF, for what it's worth

Center: Kory Lichtensteiger, Redskins (-10.7)

Lichtenseiger’s overall grade through four games (-29.0) is as low as any center had last year in total. That’s how badly he’s playing. He only allowed two hurries against the Eagles, so pass-blocking wasn’t a big issue. But goodness, a -9.0 run blocking grade? That’s awful. He was punished for five tackles for short gains or less, and literally did not do anything positive. It’s hard to imagine any other center the Redskins could get being worse than Lichtensteiger has been.

Each week we put forward a hybrid defense that features two edge rushers (4-3 defensive ends or 3-4 outside linebackers), three players on the “interior” of the defensive line (3-4 defensive ends or defensive tackles and two linebackers (all inside linebackers and 4-3 outside linebackers).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/05/worst-players-at-every-position-for-week-4/

If I recall last years team (hard to do, since I tried to forget last years play) we were not competitive.  So far we have been competitive; and so I do think we are an improved team.  I really like how we kept our fight the entire 60 minutes and because it paid off in a final drive touchdown for the win I hope our team has seen the light - do not slack of on any play, but to keep believing in themselves.

In my view we have a much better attitude, we believe we can win.  Execution, intensity, confidence is much improved in my view.  If we continue on in good times and bad times our Redskins deserve our support - I think they have earned that.

We are better in every way this year.

We should continue to improve.

We finally have leaders on this team.

Having a QB who knows how to play QB and a Safety who knows how to direct people and gives a ****, makes all the difference.

McVay, Callahan, Fewell, Akey and Barry are huge upgrades.

Having a GM, HC and everyone else on the same page, is a huge upgrade.

Having a NT is an upgrade.

Having a DC, who knows how to play to LB strengths is an upgrade.

If Cousins continues to improve, we will continue to improve.

Improvements:

Defensive front definitely seems improved.

Secondary seems improved in THEORY, but we can't actually get them all healthy.

Running game looks good and diverse.

Young WR's stepping up a bit (Grant, Crowder)

Offensive Line providing more protection (IE time a QB can sit there without needing to slide, move, etc in the pocket).

Regressions:

Thankfully, no real regressions

Same old, same old:

Same bad special teams.

Archived