Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the end for Goodell?

MattFancy

Are Goodell's days numbered as Commish?

The recent Deflategate ruling certainly doesn't look good for him. Combine that with Bountygate, AP and Rice's suspensions all being over turned as well. When was the last time Goodell did something that painted the league in a favorable light? When will the owners decide they've had enough and kick him to the curb?

No.

It should be. He should have been canned long ago. I hate what he's done to the league.

Between being the moral police, thinking the NFL has some obligation to go above the legal system, the ridiculous knee-jerk rule changes, the salary cap fiasco with the redskins, the destroying of the Patriots' tapes, etc etc etc.

They're paying him 40 million a year for a reason. He's exactly what they want. Some dopey guy to take all the blame, to get booed at draft day, while the owners rake in their cash.

Sucks.

The league has made a lot of money under his watch, right?  For now I think that's probably all the owners care about.

I think any one of us jabronis on here could have made money for the NFL.

For all his "protecting the Shield" talk, he certainly hasn't done a good job of it as of late.

At the end of the day, the owners themselves chose him, put him in power, and let him go.

He is just carrying out what the owners wanted him to do.

The problem is that while the NFL as a whole views its interest through one point of view, the individual owners/franchises have their own point of view as well.

I just wish the Skins would have gone to court over the ridiculous decision by him to take all that salary cap space for 2 years away.  NEVER would have held up in court.

The NFL (and other major professional sports organizations) operate very differently than 'standard' corporations and almost always lose when in court as their actions are often radically different than what the laws of the land are meant to address.

And now he isn't going to Foxboro for the opener next Thursday lol

I'm actually surprised by this. I always thought he had big balls or he was completely clueless about things like this. He usually doesn't care what the fans or teams think about him. He shows up and make his appearance. I never knew what the driving force was. Now he is pulling his Houdini act.

The league has made a lot of money under his watch, right?  For now I think that's probably all the owners care about.

Fitzo is correct.  Goodell's job security has very little to do with whether fans or players like him or think he's competent.  The only constituency he has is the owners.  The ONLY reason Deflategate hurt him was it negatively impacts his standing with Bob Kraft.

I'm actually surprised by this. I always thought he had big balls or he was completely clueless about things like this. He usually doesn't care what the fans or teams think about him. He shows up and make his appearance. I never knew what the driving force was. Now he is pulling his Houdini act.

Maybe Kraft let him know that his attendance was not welcome.  Doesn't the commish usually sit in the owner's box?

giphy.gif

I can't believe how people in power can be so damn dumb

Hire an independent counsel to investigate wrongdoing. Establish a jury of peers to hear cases of misconduct. Then hand down sentence. Why is that so difficult roger you ****ing moron?

Nobody likes a tyrant, going back to Caesar

Hire an independent counsel to investigate wrongdoing. Establish a jury of peers to hear cases of misconduct. Then hand down sentence. 

The funny thing is he did exactly that, the independent counsel was Ted Wells (aka, the Wells Report).  Goodell even ****ed that up because he handed down this harsh punishment when the Wells Report had no real evidence linking Brady to anything.  It simply said it was "more probable than not" that Brady knew what was going on.  

Edit:  It has come to this, I am defending Tom Brady for any reason.  The end is nigh.

I think he should have been gone a long time ago as well.  But the owners always liked having him around, especially one of the most powerful owners in Kraft.  I can't imagine their relationship is doing to well at this point though.  That is the only thing that I could see effecting his tenure.

I don't think Goodell screwed up the situation. It's going to get overturned.

Brady and the pats conspired to break the rules. If you don't believe that, I don't know what to say. No ball boy took a bag of footballs into the bathroom and deflated the balls without Brady knowing. Then, he doesn't cooperate. It affects the integrity of the game. That's why it's an issue.

I don't think Goodell screwed up the situation. It's going to get overturned.

Brady and the pats conspired to break the rules. If you don't believe that, I don't know what to say. No ball boy took a bag of footballs into the bathroom and deflated the balls without Brady knowing. Then, he doesn't cooperate. It affects the integrity of the game. That's why it's an issue.

The issue isn't whether Brady cheated or not. The issue is that Goodell continually oversteps his bounds when it comes to player discipline. There's no process and when there is, Goodell ignores it so it appears he comes down harsher on the players. That's the issue at hand. Which is why the suspension was overturned. Goodell didn't follow his own rules he set in place.

I don't think anything is going to change. In fact Goodell is going to keep being a naive narcissistic judge. He doesn't give a damn what the judge thinks. He follows his own rules of morality and integrity, logic and reason be damned.

He has lost in court repeatedly and a few years from now someone will challenge a suspension, take it to court, and he'll lose again. It's just part of the process.

I wish he'd actually get an independent arbitrator but that's for the next cba to decide. But he's not going anywhere. He'll keep fighting and when he loses he'll just say **** it and move on to the next issue. They'll have to drag him kicking and screaming from the office. He makes too much money for the league. He relishes in being the heel, the authority.

The issue isn't whether Brady cheated or not. The issue is that Goodell continually oversteps his bounds when it comes to player discipline. There's no process and when there is, Goodell ignores it so it appears he comes down harsher on the players. That's the issue at hand. Which is why the suspension was overturned. Goodell didn't follow his own rules he set in place.

Everyone knows he cheated the issue is he shouldn't have gotten four games for it

If I run a red light or speed down the highway past the speed limit, and the cop comes and pulls me over, says... I caught you doing a 85 in a 60. See you in court. Oh and you're in jail for four months. Is that fair? Because that's what the impact of ball deflation was. It was a minor offense treated as a misdemeanor, to make an example of Brady.

If people tell me the judge shouldn't subvert what the players agreed to in the cba I'll listen. They signed the cba, they let Roger dictate punishment

hearing the details of the report (I haven't read it, but after hearing from those that have I definitely want to...) makes me laugh.

the judge basically called Goodell a complete moron.

apparently there's a shot at the league for not understanding the ideal gas law (lol.) a shot at them for the "generally aware" statement, essential the judge said... i have no idea what that even means....

the overall tone of the report is apparently: i cannot believe i even have to hear, much less rule on, this absurd case.

and Goodell's response the day of the ruling? The NFL will appeal...

:lol:

hearing the details of the report (I haven't read it, but after hearing from those that have I definitely want to...) makes me laugh.

the judge basically called Goodell a complete moron.

apparently there's a shot at the league for not understanding the ideal gas law (lol.) a shot at them for the "generally aware" statement, essential the judge said... i have no idea what that even means....

the overall tone of the report is apparently: i cannot believe i even have to hear, much less rule on, this absurd case.

and Goodell's response the day of the ruling? The NFL will appeal...

:lol:

Don't forget whenever talking about the Wells Report, he used "independent" 5 times. Pretty much hammering home the fact that he didn't believe it was a true independent report.

yeah, that's another part.

the "independent" investigating over which The League had editorial authority of the drafts...

add in that he said Brady et al requested the entire thing be sealed, but when it was released they explicitly requested it NOT be sealed.

Appeal was filed last night on behalf of the NFL.  So 2 outcomes:

1) The league loses again, looks really bad AGAIN

2)  The league wins, its marquee player misses 1/4 of the season, Boston riots, Goodell being an asshole gets other news cycle.  

Why is the league doing this again?

Appeal was filed last night on behalf of the NFL.  So 2 outcomes:

1) The league loses again, looks really bad AGAIN

2)  The league wins, its marquee player misses 1/4 of the season, Boston riots, Goodell being an asshole gets other news cycle.  

Why is the league doing this again?

Makes no sense. Just end it already. Everyone is over it and this point.

What does the NFL gain out of this? If they lose again,  it just looks worse. If they win, people won't care and like you said, you just pissed off a pretty soild market in Boston. All for what?

No.

It should be. He should have been canned long ago. I hate what he's done to the league.

Between being the moral police, thinking the NFL has some obligation to go above the legal system, the ridiculous knee-jerk rule changes, the salary cap fiasco with the redskins, the destroying of the Patriots' tapes, etc etc etc.

They're paying him 40 million a year for a reason. He's exactly what they want. Some dopey guy to take all the blame, to get booed at draft day, while the owners rake in their cash.

Sucks.

couldn't thep pay someone $2 m / year for that?

i volunteer....

Archived