Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think this movie will change the NFL

boobiemiles

if anyone ever forced any of them to play i'd probably be more sympathetic.

Nobody gets to the pro level without knowing what is going on and what is expected.

they can choose to not be drafted. Choose to not sign a contract. Choose to use their college education for another career.

If they choose to play pro football, it's understood what the results can be.

A movie that would probably serve the players better is the one about how they're all broke five years after leaving the league, even though the lowest of them got paid better than the majority of people ever will.

~Bang 

Nobody gets to the pro level without knowing what is going on and what is expected.

they can choose to not be drafted. Choose to not sign a contract. Choose to use their college education for another career.

A movie that would probably serve the players better is the one about how they're all broke five years after leaving the league, even though the lowest of them got paid better than the majority of people ever will.

~Bang 

While I usually agree with just about all your posts Bang, I don't agree with this one.

Sure, the players know they are risks associated with playing football. But when the league tries to cover up the long time effects on concussions, that's a problem.

I think the person who comes up with a concussion proof helmet is going to be RICH! You know the flak jacket that all QB's wear? That started with 2 guys who came up with the idea and snuck into a Houston Oliers hospital room when he broke his ribs and said "I have something that will enable you to play this week".

someone, somewhere will come up with a helmet that reduces concussions and it will be the answer...

I think the person who comes up with a concussion proof helmet is going to be RICH! You know the flak jacket that all QB's wear? That started with 2 guys who came up with the idea and snuck into a Houston Oliers hospital room when he broke his ribs and said "I have something that will enable you to play this week".

someone, somewhere will come up with a helmet that reduces concussions and it will be the answer...

There are helmets that are less susceptible to concussions. Rodgers switched to the Schutt AiR XP for just that reason. He also mentioned it wasn't very comfortable, though, which would be one reason people might not wear them. They're also a bit bulbous and unfashionable. Oh, and last I saw, the NFL has an exclusive licensing deal with Riddell when it comes to helmets.

There are helmets that are less susceptible to concussions. Rodgers switched to the Schutt AiR XP for just that reason. He also mentioned it wasn't very comfortable, though, which would be one reason people might not wear them. They're also a bit bulbous and unfashionable. Oh, and last I saw, the NFL has an exclusive licensing deal with Riddell when it comes to helmets.

But its is ultimately impossible to stop concussions. No helmet can stop your brain from smashing into the inside of your skull during rapid deceleration and impact.

One wonders if going helmetless would be a net gain, given the less likelihood of using your head as a battering ram. But then again, when football was played without helmets, people often died on the field too.

~Bang 

I don't think the average player truly understood concussions until the last five years. And the league made a concerted effort to keep players ill informed.

So, yes, everyone knew that football was dangerous. But the specific dangers were not known.

But its is ultimately impossible to stop concussions. No helmet can stop your brain from smashing into the inside of your skull during rapid deceleration and impact.

One wonders if going helmetless would be a net gain, given the less likelihood of using your head as a battering ram. But then again, when football was played without helmets, people often died on the field too.

I agree that there is no helmet that will eliminate concussions, and I'm also with you on the use of the helmet as a weapon these days. I kinda wonder what would happen if they played with hockey helmets instead.

~Bang 

See this is how I feel.  The one thing I wish the NFL would do is guarantee contracts.  But that is the job of the Players Association. 

The pbs documentary is several years old at this point and I think it already has changed the nfl

But you know Hollywood is going to make it sensational.  A lot of people don't like documentaries.  But give them a film they can eat popcorn and juju beans with and they will flock to the theatres.

The individual is responsible for their knowledge on long term effects.  The NFL isn't the only corporation that is aware of it.  A simple consultation with a doctor or anyone with any sense can tell you that any sort of injury to the brain may have lasting effects. 

I have bad posture, am I going to sue my company and rely on them to provide me consequences of bad posture that I may accumulate while working?

Some things should just be common sense.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that playing football is probably gonna be bad for your health long term. But I mean as someone already mentioned, nobody is pointing a gun at these people forcing them to play pro football and they're getting paid millions to do it.

This movie won't do jack to affect the NFL's popularity. Most people probably won't even watch it(honestly it looks kinda boring).

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that playing football is probably gonna be bad for your health long term. But I mean as someone already mentioned, nobody is pointing a gun at these people forcing them to play pro football and they're getting paid millions to do it.

This movie won't do jack to affect the NFL's popularity. Most people probably won't even watch it(honestly it looks kinda boring).

The issue is that the NFL lied to the players for years about the effects of concussions and tried to cover it all up. That's the problem. Of course football is a dangerous sport. But it's even more dangerous when the people running it aren't being truthful about the effects.

The fact that they get paid millions is irrelevant in this situation.

The nature of the game is violent and quite frankly a bit insane, doubt they can actually change that. To be honest I believe as society becomes more educated they'll stop giving less a damn about football as a whole. But America is a long way from reaching that. Weren't gladiator fights the Romans employed a method to distract the population from real problems? Or is that a fiction? If it has any truth to it I kind of liken it to football... not one of society's bright spots :l 

I use to love football, like easily my favorite sport for a while. While Snyder's ineptitude is frustrating, I will still watch the skins loyally (personal hypocritical bias). I however, will rarely watch any football outside of the skins these days. I know absolutely I would never let future kids of mine, or hell even nephews or nieces play football if I can... and I don't think I'll promote my kids/family to watch it when I get to that point. 

But I doubt anything knocks the NFL or football in general off its pedestal for a couple decades. 

While I usually agree with just about all your posts Bang, I don't agree with this one.

Sure, the players know they are risks associated with playing football. But when the league tries to cover up the long time effects on concussions, that's a problem.

Concussions diagnoses have been made for many years. They know the risks. They want that paper. As long as they don't die...they are willingly taking the risk...especially when they don't finish their free college education and choose options. Same as a cop saying to a criminal...you not knowing it was illegal doesn't change anything.

I have a lot of respect for the few guys that follow the NFL dream and just walk away after a few years. That has to be tough, tougher than staying and getting beat up that much more. I can't recall the CB that power plays it and says new deal or I'm done. He understands, it's simply business.

Concussions diagnoses have been made for many years. They know the risks. They want that paper. As long as they don't die...they are willingly taking the risk...especially when they don't finish their free college education and choose options. Same as a cop saying to a criminal...you not knowing it was illegal doesn't change anything.

I have a lot of respect for the few guys that follow the NFL dream and just walk away after a few years. That has to be tough, tougher than staying and getting beat up that much more. I can't recall the CB that power plays it and says new deal or I'm done. He understands, it's simply business.

So you all are completely cool with the NFL covering up the risks/effects for years?

So if you guys are taking medication and some of the side effects could be heart burn, indigestion, etc. Little things like that. But then you end up getting cancer from it. You're fine with that because you knew the risks going in?

That's like this. Sure, the players know they could have leg, back, shoulder problems after their careers are over. They weren't expecting to develop severe brain injuries and go into depression and commit suicide.

So you all are completely cool with the NFL covering up the risks/effects for years?

Name a sport that hasn't ?

Not saying that I am cool with it, but it is really not their responsibility.

I can't think of an immediate analogy, but there are probably a few.

Touching a stove when you already know the risks is the first thing I think of. They willingly put themselves in that position.

Magician that does dangerous tricks, race car drivers, etc. That's part of the reason for high reward.

Name a sport that hasn't ?

Not saying that I am cool with it, but it is really not their responsibility.

I can't think of an immediate analogy, but there are probably a few.

Touching a stove when you already know the risks is the first thing I think of. They willingly put themselves in that position.

Magician that does dangerous tricks, race car drivers, etc. That's part of the reason for high reward.

What sport has players suffering from serve brain injuries and killing themselves besides football? (And WWE)

Go back to the medication analogy. You'd have no problem them if a pharma company came out with a pill that ended up giving people cancer. Because hey, guys we knew there were side effects associated with it. Sorry it's killing people.

Yah, market the sport and make billions by featuring videos that show head trauma... Make the opening of MNF two helmets smashing...

Tell team doctors that when players get their "bell rung" to give them some salts and send them back out... And when a player has 5-6 concussions, send out pamphlet telling players there are no long term effects

Yah, players knew what they were getting into! Doh.

Archived