Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins Named Redskins' Starting Quarterback

They have a real QB coach this year, with a little luck he should be able to fix Kurt's turnover problems and we can move on to the important issues - building a team that can get us to the super bowl.

In any case we can put the distractions to the side and focus on:

1) what players on the current roster should be around for our super bowl appearance in 2-3 years, and

2) what coaches will be around for our super bowl appearance in 2-3 years.

HTTR

I posted this on another thread but it seems more appropriate here:

Wells it's official - Kirk Cousins is the starter for the Washington Redskins - So:

I am and always will be a Redskins fan first. I really like Robert and hope he does well somewhere, maybe even still here if there is an injury and he gets back on the field (do not read that as hoping Cousins get's injured, not at all what I am saying.)

Having said that I am all in for Cousins. I am ready to support him as much as I supported Robert. I will say my main concern with him (I had main concerns about Robert - confidence and his inability to dodge direct hits) - consistency and bouncing back from adversity. He seems to have gotten past the adversity issue but let's see if he can maintain this level of play for several weeks in a row.

I am hoping he is awesome and helps us win some games. Hail to the Kirk Cousins era in Washington!   HTTR!!   Let's win some damn games for once!

The turnover issue will be key. What if Alf doesn't recover Kirks fumble last week? I wonder what people might be saying now. I'm not against Cousins and there is the lack of reps with the 1st string but just curious how that might be getting played out now.

What to do with RGIII? That's a tough question with a lot of angles but financially it breaks down to his guaranteed salary of this year ($3.3M) and his remaining signing bonus ($3.5M). If cut, both of those hit the cap as dead money ($6.8M). If traded they still eat the bonus money but the new team absorbs the salary which the Skins get back as a cap savings.

If cut or traded then then next years $16M option comes off of next years cap provided he isn't injured in the meantime. If they keep him and he gets injured during practice then the $16M option gets paid and that goes against next years cap. If they keep him and decide not to risk an jury by not letting him practice then the Redskins are open to a lawsuit. Steve McNair comes to mind that this happened with.

Strickly speaking in terms of dollars and cents it would be best to trade him. Now try and find a suitor for this which I don't think will be easy.

Go -

I understand your thoughts about RG3, because I had a similar feeling for 2 1/2 years. However, sometime last year it started looking to me like he was not going to make the adjustment required to make him a valuable QB. His performance in the pre-season was all I needed to write him off as a failed experiment.

It is a hard lesson he has learned and hopefully he will adjust and have a bright future. I am pulling for him as a Redskins player, or somewhere else. Another however - it is my harsh opinion that if he fails to adjust he will get his just deserves. Of course I have been wrong in the past, but probably not this time because I have had so much agony invested in RG3.

John - without him renegotiating his contract to drop the next year 16 mill hit if he is injured it is hard to see him getting traded, who would pick it up is the question.

I don't see any way he gets traded without waiving the $16M for next year. But you can't risk him getting injured in practice even as the #3. Or heaven forbid both Cousins and McCoy get injured. You can't let him back on the field or you seriously risk getting stuck with the $16M.  

It's different if he is the starter. If he is the starter you have to play him and live with the injuries if they happen. But if he is not starting, there is no way I let him get anywhere close to contact. In fact, I know it would be painful, but I would cut him when we go down to 53.

If you don't this turns into a long messy divorce. Cut the cord, take the beating and move on.

Does anybody remember the user names of some of those reasonable folks that use to comment on this site? This site is far more easier to take with the football talk taking presence over the other thing, I would like to invite some of the back, which I think I can do on the user section.

nicely played Jay starting willie smith aginst the lions to show that REobert has alot of learning and maturing as a person he was compleatly unprepaired for intense pressure and i say we now have alot better shot at a good start this season which makes all the differance come playoff time

I was all for the trade to get RG, but I am past it. It's obvious he's not an NFL QB if he's not in a gimmick scheme. The worst part is all football fans know this, but his ego could never be humbled. I posted this in another thread, but I wonder if this situation is making him take a step back and realize 2012 was a long time ago?

Ryan Clark is an ESPN analyst and was obviously on this team last year. He said the media really blew the "locker room dislike for RG3" thing out of proportion. He said everyone was indifferent toward him and that Robert liked keeping to himself. I don't know if that's better or worse than being liked or disliked, but what I do know is that it's not an attribute I want in my QB.

The one thing that stings to know is that if we fast forward 10, 20, 30 years, no matter what our success is, we will go down as being the sucker in one of the worst trades.

Kirk this is your team. Make one less bad mistake a game and you will be a solid QB. I don't need elite, I don't need top 10, I just want competent and consistent. Turning the page; all of the sudden I have some confidence in this year.

Haven't seen canada for a while. KenLinkins was a very good poster. He used to go to TC and provide daily reports. Has a great football mind. 

I see Ken over posting on Rich Tandlers. Be good to get him back. JdHawk private messaged me last week saying he's watching and reading this board and may come back soon. I have started posting on HogsHaven and have been welcomed, challenged, and accepted. My username is Trent'sHogs.

Does anybody remember the user names of some of those reasonable folks that use to comment on this site? This site is far more easier to take with the football talk taking presence over the other thing, I would like to invite some of the back, which I think I can do on the user section.

Well I don't know how much this helps. But if you click on the settings gear next to the search box you'll get an advanced search that one of the options is search 'Members' and you can select a calendar range for them and not have to deal with the entire site. However you have to have 4 letters/numbers of the members name to start the search. 

Example: If you type in 'erad' you'll get eradicator plus any other name that has the letters 'erad' in it.

Hail fellas!

It's been a while & I must admit that between my kids baseball & the Blue Jays doing so well I've been in baseball mode for quite a while. I'll also admit that I'm a little out of touch. I guess it's time for me to pull double duty & catch up.

As far as RG3 goes...I'm done with the guy & all the drama that come's with him. As if being one of the worst teams in the NFL wasn't bad enough, we don't need the added distraction that he brings. We NEED to focus on getting better & he simply isn't allowing that. If it wasn't clear before it should be now, the guy is made of glass. I don't care what round he was picked in or in what spot, if he can't produce on the field then he's no good to us. Time for him to hit the bricks.  

I'm all in for captain Kirk.

HTTR!!!

It's definitely time to move on, win or lose we will know exactly what we have in Kirk as a QB. Looking at his numbers he puts points on the board and moves the chains, the INT's are not that big considering how many games he has played and also how many yards he is passing for on what has been mostly a one dimensional team for the most parts. I think the int's come down with more reps and hopefully keeping close in more games, the addition of Jones a beast BTW should help ALF and the rushing attack as well! HTTR!

I contacted all the folks all of you provided, and a couple of others I remembered that were good fans but not mean spirited. I heard back from Canada, said he would be around and he is (see below).

If you come up with others let me know (or ask them to come back). There were some good folks that posted on the site in the past and hopefully we can get some of them back.

We don't all have to agree but the Redskins insights from other perspectives gives us, at least me, a different view, and that is good.

The confrontational problems from the past seem to be gone, a great site.

I went back to some old threads from this forum, like 2013 or so. You members that have been posting here in this forum a lot longer than me have better insight as to those that are in the nasty troll category and those who are not. But I did scan a few remarks and there seemed to be a lot of good perspectives brought in by people who we aren't seeing now.

I noticed a lot of banned members. Don't know why but I suspect many of them were due to violating the rule of having one and only one account. Before this forum was set up I used to see postings on Redskins.com. Some pretty ugly stuff then and I quit reading any of them for quite some time. Then I stumbled in here (literally) a little while back after trying to use the editor at Redskin.com (yech) to reply to some good comments and getting redirected from there.

of course it off topic  but the two people that were posting /trolling were blocked by the admin. when extreme skin took control of the site.that was a blessing not having to deal with those two ....i still remember me and dorrell having an all nighter with ole busty and jdhawk going a round or two with him.....which is sort of ironic most all of it was over RG3 which is now a moot point Cousins is now the starter and we should support him because it the redskins as a team not one person......still think they are/were not using Grffin properly and they may be setting him down giving a year to learn the system but on the other hand you all saw how the oline responded to cousins and mccoy playing rather than with griffin .....they say gruden sucks get rid of him but remember he was an off coordinator in nfl winning head coach and a  qb in the arena league multiple times he knows his stuff we got a gm in mcloughlin that is saying the same dont know if allen is but they are trying to convince snyder that it aint working with grffin weather now or in the future...hope they are not too hasty in handling Griffins situation...still think in the right system he could light it up still hope its for us but right now highly unlikely....

HTTR

I definitely miss Dorrell and jdhawk. Both were great posters.

This may not be popular, but while I agree busty had a trolling method, you have to admit he was right. He said MS would ruin Robert. And while Robert owns some of it, MS definitely owns a lot of it.

I was trying to see the old posts but could not see any comments to see who was on. I will try again.

Archived