Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sell the Team

Kevin West

Greetings from a ghost of Extremeskins past.

I joined in 2001.

I helped Iheart with the original FA threads (I did Special Teams.)

(Hi Om.  How are ya?)

Enough is enough.

I'm all for giving the team a chance in 2015.  But not much of one.  We are doomed.  So let's start planning on sending a message via Fox, CBS, NBC, and ESPN.

Bring signs (roll them up, so security won't confiscate them) and bring your voices.  Let the country and the NFL know that in the best interest of the league, the District Maryland and Virginia regions, and football fans everywhere, that the futility of Washington Football has reached a tipping point.

Yes, Mr. Snyder owns the team and can do what he wants with it.  He has done so, with extreme prejudice, for 16 years.  And while he helped develop new revenue streams for teams and the league, it is my understanding that he is no more popular with the other owners than he is with the majority of Washington Redskin fans.  ("Aloof,"  "Alone with his phone,"  and "Prick," are the most common assessments of him.  I ran a football website for seven years.  I met and spoke with people.  The most recent opinion came to me last Friday night.  PS: I'd still have the site, but paywalls are paywalls.  Oh, I'm also the guy who spotted Petyon Manning short stepping his passes back in 2009.  F You, Peter King.)

Anyway.

Bring your signs, cheer the team.  But once the inevitable becomes apparent, start chanting:

"SELL THE TEAM!"  "SELL THE TEAM!"  "SELL THE TEAM!"  

The important dates to do this are:

Thursday, Sept.24, on the NFLN, and Monday December 7 on ESPN.

After that, stop going to games.  Spend the holidays with friends and family, endure the games from home and let the Network Television coverage show an empty stadium.  Yes, he'll get the prepaid money.  But empty seats will will get the league's attention.  For all of you who like to make the analogy between a game and war, understand this: you can't wage war without the support of the people... And you can't operate a sports franchise without the support of the fans.  You have more power than you suspect.  

USE IT.

And, ultimately, the dollars will make sense.

People shouldn't make threads in the wee hours of the morning when they are sleepy. :)

Snyder won't sell the team, no matter how much complaining you do to a tv network, or how many signs you create.

If you can't deal with Snyder being the owner, you might as well turn in your fan card, because Snyder isn't going anywhere.

Who owns the team won't stop the circus, not as long as a segment of the fanbase buys literally whatever local media throws against the wall. Our fanbase is getting trolled regularly by them and so many buy into it hook line and sinker. Even when we were winning you had media stirring things up.  

Who owns the team won't stop the circus, not as long as a segment of the fanbase buys literally whatever local media throws against the wall. Our fanbase is getting trolled regularly by them and so many buy into it hook line and sinker. Even when we were winning you had media stirring things up.  

Agreed.

So much of the so-called "drama" around this team (especially in the last week) is just media manufactured tripe.

You would figure those that have been reading and watching the sports media for a long time here on ES would catch on by now, but apparently not. :)

I used to blame the media also, but while they blow a lot of things out of proportion this team has been way too bad for too long for it to be the media's fault. Look at how Gruden handled the quarterback situation last year and you can see he's incompetent, that was not manufactured by the media.

I used to blame the media also, but while they blow a lot of things out of proportion this team has been way too bad for too long for it to be the media's fault. Look at how Gruden handled the quarterback situation last year and you can see he's incompetent, that was not manufactured by the media.

How Gruden handles his players is his business. How he conducts his coaching affairs will decide his fate in Washington, as it should be.

We are talking manufactured controversy, like this past week.

A doctor, completely unattached from the Redskins, at first says he will clear Griffin to play. Then, after consulting other doctors and reviewing info, he changes his mind and decides that Griffin needs to sit for his own good. So the Redskins start Cousins instead.

Period. That was it.

Yet, out of that, media jackals have manufactured this grand conspiracy of coercion, double-dealing, a rush to ship out Griffin, and an owner usurping his GM's authority. Also, somehow, the Redskins are being blamed for the decision of an NFL doctor they have no control over. SMH

This is how the media operates. Throw stuff against the wall, and see what sticks. If you can't get a source close to the parties involved, then just make up a "reliable source" and start speculating.

It's dishonest, yet so many here slurp in right up faster than it shows up on the internet.

It's sad, really.

Call it what you will but the league doesn't seem to have a problem diagnosing a concussion and announcing them in conjunction with other teams. I guarantee you if the Geno Smith thing happened in our locker roomour PR team would've botched it and acted like nothing happened while details were still leaking out from "sources" instead of handling the situation and letting be a story for a week before it died down.

The Redskins PR team can't seem to handle any situation at all.

This is the official team-owned message board for Redskins fans...just so ya know. ;)  

From reading his post, the last time he was here, the forum wasn't owned by the team. I'm guessing he missed all that.

Maybe we should start a "Sell the forum!" chant too? lol

Call it what you will but the league doesn't seem to have a problem diagnosing a concussion and announcing them in conjunction with other teams. I guarantee you if the Geno Smith thing happened in our locker roomour PR team would've botched it and acted like nothing happened while details were still leaking out from "sources" instead of handling the situation and letting be a story for a week before it died down.

The Redskins PR team can't seem to handle any situation at all.

No, but can the Redskins help a doctor changing his mind? Can they help the media making up sources?

The Redskins are trying to build a winning team. and concentrate on that. Not spend their time jousting with a hostile media daily every time they float another "rumor" from one of their "sources".

From reading his post, the last time he was here, the forum wasn't owned by the team. I'm guessing he missed all that.

Maybe we should start a "Sell the forum!" chant too? lol

Good one, dude!...but, nope...I'm not on board with either. Another member posted a couple years ago that "we're one owner away from a new nickname". I agree, and I'm in the Dan Camp, as you can clearly see below. (I meant this with all funny, not nearly as sarcastic as it reads, btw) :D

I agree. Sell the team to me. Sure, I can't pay market price, but I've paid in sweat, blood, and frustration for many years. That should count as a down payment at least. Sure, I can't promise to have the wherewithal to pay the team until the league money rolls in, but never mind any of that. I'd be a great owner.

What could go wrong with an owner who's a lifelong fan of the team?

Good one, dude!...but, nope...I'm not on board with either. Another member posted a couple years ago that "we're one owner away from a new nickname". I agree, and I'm in the Dan Camp, as you can clearly see below. (I meant this with all funny, not nearly as sarcastic as it reads, btw) :D

It's always interesting to me when people defend Snyder because they want to keep the nickname. The irony here is that Snyder has ALREADY destroyed the nickname. It used to mean something special, it used to be synonymous with a class organization and winning football: he's turned it into a national joke. When I tell people I'm a Redskins fan, the immediate reaction is almost always, "Oooooo," followed by a look of deep pity. 

Snyder has managed a pretty neat trick, destroying the team name while preserving it. 

Yep, media. That's why we suck. The press just won't let our football team win. I wish we were in a softer media market like Philly, NY, or Boston. The media is nice to the teams in those towns, and that's why they play better football than us. 

Yep, media. That's why we suck. The press just won't let our football team win. I wish we were in a softer media market like Philly, NY, or Boston. The media is nice to the teams in those towns, and that's why they play better football than us. 

Agreed. I just don't understand the constant need for most of this team's fanbase to blame anyone but ownership for the complete dysfunction.

The media, who writes and says things about the team, cannot affect how it is run other than by influencing an owner. That clearly doesn't happen, as nothing anyone says means jack to Daniel Snyder. He's been told for 20 years what he should do to at least give the team a chance (play a hands-off personnel role) and he can't stop. 

The OP's ideas are well... common, and unless you can get a majority of the fans that actually attend the games to do this. Good luck with that.  You'd need to reach well beyond ES, Local TV, and somehow convince people who pay a lot of money that no, they shouldn't go, but to make sure to keep their tickets to really stick it to the man!

As much as people complain about Snyder, I'd rather have him than a majority of the other owners of professional sports teams.  The dude is not afraid to spend money and goes out and gets what he/the team wants.  There are so many other owners who won't spend money and would rather profit off their team than try to field a winning team.  Now, Snyder has failed miserably in his quest towards a Super Bowl, but at least he tries.  That is more than can be said for a lot of other professional sportsing teams.

I'd be ecstatic if he sold the team (which won't happen), but I don't have the hate that everyone seems to have for him.

Archived