Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: The Redskins’ season hasn’t yet begun, but it feels as if it’s already begun to rot

SkinsHokieFan

Another great column by Jerry Brewer, who has been a welcome addition to the local sports media.

Key takeaway: There is a terrific architect in the building, but he can't do a damn thing building wise until the foundation is at minimum stable. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-redskins-season-hasnt-yet-begun-but-it-feels-as-if-its-already-begun-to-rot/2015/08/27/f9ccba54-4d0a-11e5-902f-39e9219e574b_story.html?postshare=2921440725196688

The Redskins’ season hasn’t yet begun, but it feels as if it’s already begun to rot

OK, I get it now.

The Washington Redskins are to catastrophe what Apple is to technology. They didn’t invent their specialty, but they have reimagined its possibilities.

Despite all the seemingly outlandish tales of dysfunction that have been told during Daniel Snyder’s 16 years of ownership, it’s impossible to prepare for how jarring it is to experience up close for the first time. I’ve covered misguided franchises, but this is unprecedented pandemonium. There’s a persistent storm, and even though there are pieces in place now to remedy the problem, there might not be enough umbrellas to keep everyone dry. In this weather, good intentions can get flooded easily.

The team has yet to play its third preseason game, and it already feels like the season is starting to rot amid endless Robert Griffin III controversies and uncertainty over Coach Jay Gruden’s authority and injuries and miscommunication and cynicism. If the franchise doesn’t stabilize soon, the drama could stunt the growth of a rebuilding plan that actually has an upside.

Commit fully to making this season about progress for the future. Stop with the quick fixes. Forget about making up for the past.

Let this be a clean-slate season because it’s rare that a fan base will ever be as conditioned as this one is to accept a year like this.

Maybe I just have bad memory, but I don't remember any preseason ever being this bad. We've had some bad ones, like Grossman vs. Beck, but the over-analyzing every day of every snap by every quarterback makes me feel like a tractor-trailer is repeatedly running me over, backing up, and running over me again.

Maybe I just have bad memory, but I don't remember any preseason ever being this bad. We've had some bad ones, like Grossman vs. Beck, but the over-analyzing every day of every snap by every quarterback makes me feel like a tractor-trailer is repeatedly running me over, backing up, and running over me again.

The closest honestly could have been the Marty preseason.

The Darrel Green drama, the QB drama, Jeff George, all the change, Snyder being shut out

But there was no twitter, no streaming radio, no "bog", no over saturation. 

A great article and completely on point. We need to cut our losses with ANYTHING that has no foreseeable future with this franchise despite it may look really bad. I mean, the media has already deemed us the laughing stock of the NFL (and for good reason), might as well make one last big headline with the cuts, fires, drops, etc and truly let Scot start with his building blocks.

It's August and it feels like the season is doomed, didn't even make it into September!

This season's got me like:

gUKHa8q.gif

I completely agree that you have to stop with quick fixes and instead make decisions that dont bode well for this year, but will set up a better future.  This season should be entirely about making the playoffs next year, and the year after.  Anything else is a waste IMHO.

I completely agree that you have to stop with quick fixes and instead make decisions that dont bode well for this year, but will set up a better future.  This season should be entirely about making the playoffs next year, and the year after.  Anything else is a waste IMHO.

I don't think "playoffs" should be on the minds of the FO until 2017 at the earliest, and possibly 2018.

I expect a new staff in 2016, with the exception of Callahan and some of the new coaches brought in this past offseason.

GMSM will get his coaching staff that would coach GMSM type players (big guys, etc). Wouldn't surprise me for him to dip into the Seattle or San Fran coaching tree from the time he in those orgs. 

New staff 2016; barring a Jim Harbaugh like miracle probably a 6-10 season at best.

By the start of the 2017 you have 3 GMSM drafts+the 2nd year of a new coaching regime and quite possibly the 2nd season of another top 5 QB pick

We need to commit to building for the future. From the start I was confused why we went out and signed guys like Terrance Knighton and Junior Gallette. Yeah they're good players, and its only 1 year deals, but I'd rather spend the year developing some young talent. Thats why I'm not that beat up about losing Gallette for the year. He's not part of our long term plan.

Next year McLoughan will clean house of the coaching staff and hopefully continue to purge the roster of the stench of losers.

My goodness guys...its pre-season...we are 2-0. Stop whining, you're all making it sound like we are 0-2. Just sit back and pray that RG3 plays great against the Ravens Saturday. If we are in the regular season and are losing games left and right, that would be a perfect time to complain. At this point, it is just silly.

This sentence:

"There’s no doubt in my mind that, if new General Manager Scot McCloughan implements his plan without interference, the Redskins will have the talent in a few seasons to build a sustainable winner."

juxtuposed with paragraph related to how bad of a signing Galette was for the team seems odd.  

In his opinion did Scot M. make a mistake in signing Galette, but that (clear (i.e. it was a mistake that could be seen at the time of the signing, it didn't have to be an after fact where for whatever reason Galette didn't fit into the scheme/play up to expectations that you didn't know until you saw him play.)) mistake hasn't caused him any doubts?

How does that work?

Or that Scot M. is in fact being interfered with, and Galette was a mistake, but not Scot M's mistake, but the result of said interference?

If the latter, where is the evidence of that? Such evidence or consideration would have made a better more interesting column, IMO.

(Maybe he's detailed that in a previous column, but it would seem worth mentioning/referring to here.)

With respect to RGIII, I doubt that anybody believes that RGIII is the "unquestioned starter" other than in the interest of figuring out if he is worth keeping going forward, and I suspect how long he has depends on how well he plays.

If we start the season and he has 4 consecutive clunkers, I suspect he'll be out.  If he has 2 really good games and 2 clunkers, he's likely bought himself more time.

There is going to be a certain bit of chaos around teams with young unsure QBs in this league.  I'm not sure what you can really do.  The 49ers have seen it with Kaepernick and the trade rumors earlier this spring, and it is still out there.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/08/18/nfl-colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers

http://thebiglead.com/2015/08/07/colin-kaepernick-nessa-aldon-smith/

Other than getting a consistent QB (even a limited, but consistent QB will quite things some) and winning games, I'm not sure what you can do.

I don't know how you can say they should build for the future without understanding they need a (clear/good) assessment of RGIII.

That the coach (mostly interested in winning games) and that the GM (looking at the bigger picture) potentially have conflicting views isn't really that surprising to me.

We need to commit to building for the future. From the start I was confused why we went out and signed guys like Terrance Knighton and Junior Gallette. Yeah they're good players, and its only 1 year deals, but I'd rather spend the year developing some young talent. Thats why I'm not that beat up about losing Gallette for the year. He's not part of our long term plan.

Next year McLoughan will clean house of the coaching staff and hopefully continue to purge the roster of the stench of losers.

No confusion on my end. He signed impact players to cheap, cap friendly deals. You can still build toward the future and sign guys that know how to play football. 

I go into this season with no excitement at all.  I know, until we move on from the mistakes of the past; we can't move forward.

I said 6-10 but I know think we will be worse than that.  Probably, 3-13 or 4-12 and a Top 5 pick.

Scot is stuck with a guy; that probably no other team would have hired as their head coach.  Scot is stuck with starting QB, that we paid a fortune to get. So far; other than a 7 game stretch in his rookie year, he's done little.

So, 2015; we have to play it out.  Let Gruden further show; he's not a head coach.  Robert shows he can finally do the job; or more likely that he can't.  We don't have a starting QB on the team. Cousins and Mccoy maybe good for a game or two but not long term starters.

All, 2015 is to me; Scot is evaluating what we got and what players, he can build the team around with.  That would be starting in 2016; so it would probably be 2018 before expecting playoffs.  He must be given the time to hire his own coach. He must be given time to draft his players and sign his free agents.  I am confident, if Dan let's him do his job; Scot will reward Dan with a team that can compete for playoffs on a regular basis and have a shot at winning a championship.

The biggest FEAR I have; after we evetually fire Gruden.  Dan Snyder will become enamored with a big name head coach.  That big name would want full control and Dan Snyder will give Scot the boot and let the big name have his way. That's what scares me.  We have a GM now but I am not so sure Snyder will give the GM a chance to do his job.  That will be the biggest test for me; if Dan Snyder has changed.  If has changed; he will let Scott make the changes, he needs to make. 

No confusion on my end. He signed impact players to cheap, cap friendly deals. You can still build toward the future and sign guys that know how to play football. 

From my perspective, there are a couple of issues with it, especially related to Gallette and Knighton.

1.  Is the point that he raises with respect to taking playing time away from younger players

2.  they are taking roster spots that could go to younger players

3.  if their signings actually work out, you are going to draft in worse positions in the draft, which is negatively going to affect your ability to acquire (young) talent.

4.  how are they going affect the locker room and what kind of attitude/team building environment are you creating.  You got these guys for cheap 1 year contracts for a reason, and it isn't because they have been considered good locker room people/team players/high work ethic people, and now you have them on a bad team, with a coach that many fans think is questionable, on one year contracts (they have no real reason to commit to a high quality locker room going forward and a winning environment.  They are here waiting the next (big) contract.).

You know, I wa reading somewhere about Seattle.  They weren't afraid to admit their mistake and move on; when it came to signing Matt Flynn.  Here's this guy, we gave tons of $$$$ to, in free ageny.  He gets beat out for the job by our rookie QB.  Seattle just moved on.

There will come a time when the Skins will just have to move on from Robert.  His play should make that pretty easy. He gets his final shot. Out early schedule is winable but if Robert can do the job; he's done.  .500 buys him more type.  Another worse than that and he probably gets benched for good.

This is relatively close to my mantra for this season. The vast majority of Redskins fans would do well yo heed this philosophy. Or don't, & continue to gnash your teeth at every twist & turn, & expound your vitriolic, cancerous viewpoints.

One will be worth while. .the other...not so much.

Commit fully to making this season about progress for the future. Stop with the quick fixes. Forget about making up for the past.  

-  (Bold face added for emphasis)

My goodness guys...its pre-season...we are 2-0. Stop whining, you're all making it sound like we are 0-2. Just sit back and pray that RG3 plays great against the Ravens Saturday. If we are in the regular season and are losing games left and right, that would be a perfect time to complain. At this point, it is just silly.

Keep fighting the good fight brother

From my perspective, there are a couple of issues with it, especially related to Gallette and Knighton.

1.  Is the point that he raises with respect to taking playing time away from younger players

2.  they are taking roster spots that could go to younger players

3.  if their signings actually work out, you are going to draft in worse positions in the draft, which is negatively going to affect your ability to acquire (young) talent.

4.  how are they going affect the locker room and what kind of attitude/team building environment are you creating.  You got these guys for cheap 1 year contracts for a reason, and it isn't because they have been considered good locker room people/team players/high work ethic people, and now you have them on a bad team, with a coach that many fans think is questionable, on one year contracts (they have no real reason to commit to a high quality locker room going forward and a winning environment.  They are here waiting the next (big) contract.).

I see your points. However, I don't necessarily feel signing those guys takes away from younger players. The Skins defense didn't have a true NT. All the fans talked about for years was "How can we run a 3-4 defense without a true nose tackle." Scot signs the best one available at a price way below the productivity of the player and it is applauded by just about every talent evaluator, free agency website etc. Who exactly was Knighton taking time away from? I don't see it. He solidified an area of need.

In regard to Galette, I do see that as more of an argument. But I expected to see PLENTY of Murphy/Smith throughout the course of the season. We aren't in the talent meetings so we don't have a first hand account, but the way I see it, you can NEVER have enough pass rushers, especially the type of freak Athlete Galette is. It's quite possible that Murphy/Smith are better at this moment in a reserve role to ease into a bigger role rather than being every down players. 

By all accounts, Knighton and Galette fit in perfectly within the locker room. Knighton seems to have taken a leadership role and embraces being a Redskin. You can tell by Gruden and Scot's words, Galette's injury really hurt the team. The man cried for 3 hours and all his teammates were right there with him.   

I see how Scot is building this team and I think it's the right way. Yes, you build through the draft. He's doing that. But additionally, he's bringing in some quality players. By giving them very short contracts, he can evaluate them and make a decision on whether or not they fit where he wants the team to go. Unfortunately, the Galette evaluation will have to begin next year. 

It's a very long season. All these Rookies and second year players will see plenty of action 

If this does implode likes it's threatening to in the short term & Dan decides to get rid of Jay mid season then who steps in?You hardly want Berry or McVay & if Callaghan takes over then would he be willing to go back to being just an O line coach the following year, you could lose him long term if he feels like he is being demoted to just a position coach at the seasons end.

I have no problem with the signing of Knighton & Galette from a talent/contract point of view, you need to create a better more winning atmosphere, 7-9/8-8 sides don't slip into panic mode as quickly as 4-12 sides so it gives everyone a better chance to develop the whole situation

This just speaks to how fragile we are.  The preseason has gone fairly well. We've lost our tight ends, but guys who were more glue guys than important guys, a back up running back who likely wouldn't make the team, and a linebacker who's never played for us.  Our o line and QB played a horrible quarter.  That's the glass half empty.

The glass half full is that our depth and our youth has kicked butt. Isn't that what this season is more about? Team building? Getting the pieces together to compete down the line? More than that, as bad as our starters looked against Detroit is as good as they looked against Cleveland (o line) We look to have a brutal running game and a defense that's at least somewhat improved. We still have one of the best new personnel guys overlooking the team. 

The HC and QB stuff is important, but it will work itself out. All the hand wringing and proclamations of "I will jump!" will teetering on the ledge is just drama.  If the goal of this year is to finally begin building a team through the draft and forging a new identity... we're on our way.

What we're seeing so far is not rot. It's evolution. Evolution is not linear. Sometimes, in fact often, new species are created that fail and sputter, until the new dominant organism takes hold.  An NFL team is not created in seven days. Enjoy the voyage of the Beagle, Snoopy.

Good one Burg.

This season is No.1 in a 3 yr plan at a minimum. No matter what happens this season people need to sit back and let it play out. What happened to all the "In Scot we trust, looking at the big picture/longterm view" posts we saw just weeks back?

If we are so close to the cliff that losing one player screws us then we have nothing anyway. People talk about building depth but this is what depth is about, next man up when you lose someone for whatever reason, let go of the expectations and what-ifs and relax, see what happens. We might be pleasantly surprised but there's no rational way anyone deserves to be tearing hair and gnashing teeth in disappointment, there simply is no objective reason to expect (or even want) this team to tear it up this year. You gotta demo 'fore ya reno, it's a messy process when you do it thoroughly.

What a well written article. Had me laughing more than once.

The organizational problems are easy to explain. Dan Snyder. Until he lets Jay run things as he sees fit we won't know if he can coach or not.

Snyder should take a ride on his yacht for about three years and then check in to see how the team is doing.

In 1991 we went 0-4 in preseason and looked dreadful. If there had been Twitter, ES, 24 hour news coverage and an infinite amount of Internet space to fill I'm sure there would have been a **** storm.

That team and season turned out to be arguably the best in Redskins history.

Now I don't for a second think this years team will scratch what the 1991 team achieved but judging anything based on preseason is not wise.

Archived