Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

I want to see Kirk Cousins start 16 games this fall.  I've given up on the bust I want to see if Cousins can get over the hump before he is lost at the end of the season.

In his nine starts he has played extremely well for long stretches and imploded with rashes of INTS.  Obviously I want to see if the INTs can be reduced and Kirk can sustain quality play for entire games and strings of games.

The Skins need to give a guy with the high ceiling he's shown us at times 16 more starts so he's up to 25 starts before some other franchise gets him and shows the guy that got treated like the red haired stepchild in Washington was really the guy.

Spare me the Rex Grossman comparisons, Grossman had 10-12 years to clear up his problems that's on Grossman not Kirk Cousins who has had only 9 starts over 3 seasons.

Kirk has the arm and the smarts to play the position its time for Washington to show the smarts to give him the opportunity before the Skins lose two QBs this year.  Griffin because he thinks too slow for the NFL and Cousins because the franchise was too stupid to give him a real opportunity to succeed.

I actually agree with you. Its not smart to try and build a team from scratch around a QB with a non pro style type of play. And its not smart to tie your long term future plans to someone who is injury prone and can't stay on the field. People who are bashing Gruden's offense and saying he can't coach aren't acknowledging that 2 of the 3 QB's on the roster have shown it can be run effectively this preseason.

Cousins doesn't necessarily have to be Mr. Right, but he has shown that he's capable enough to be Mr. Right Now. From a risk management standpoint it makes more sense to let a QB who is used to pro style offenses run the team for a year or two as we fill out our depth chart. Even if he throws picks and costs us a few games, he allows the rest of the offense to learn their roles and get the ball into the hands of our other playmakers. Watching Griffin get sacked and struggle to learn pocket presence is hindering the rest of the teams development.

That being said...8e229bd5-60c1-4b27-a5a5-86497b07222f_800

I'm one of the few who haven't given up hope on Griffin, but I do think that Kirk Cousins can be a serviceable NFL quarterback.  (See? You don't have to tear down one to support the other!)

The main knock against Kirk - interceptions - is an issue that can be corrected. 

If the Robert Griffin Experiment fails this season, Cousins will get his chance.

if gruden has given up on sacks, then i agree let ints in there for 16 games before he walks into free agency.

i'm not convinced he has given up on sacks yet. it's impossible to know without being in the meeting rooms. maybe they're just working on sacks worst aspects of his game during preseason, and week 1 we're going to see completely different plays (and maybe they'll work.)

I'm one of the few who haven't given up hope on Griffin, but I think that Kirk Cousins can be a serviceable NFL quarterback.  The main knock against him - interceptions - is an issue that can be corrected. 

If the Robert Griffin Experiment fails this season, Cousins will get his chance.

How much failure to you need to see to be satisfied?  Conversely how many games this season do you think Cousins deserves to show he can get over the hump.  Clearly investing in one takes away from the other and lets be clear Cousins will be gone.  There is no way he will trust Snyder enough to freely sign on with the Skins unless they really let him try to win the job.  So I ask again, how much more ineptitude do you need to see to give up on Griffin and how many games to do think Cousins deserves to show he can do it?

2015 is about Griffin.

2016 is letting Mccoy and maybe Cousins hold be the starters while the new rookie QB sits and learns. We will be drafting a QB next year; though it might not necessarily be the franchise QB.  Maybe that franchise QB won't be avaibable until 2017; so we are just buying time.

It maybe best to building the team first, have a serviceable QB and then get that franchise QB.

2015 is about Griffin.

2016 is letting Mccoy and maybe Cousins hold be the starters while the new rookie QB sits and learns. We will be drafting a QB next year; though it might not necessarily be the franchise QB.  Maybe that franchise QB won't be avaibable until 2017; so we are just buying time.

It maybe best to building the team first, have a serviceable QB and then get that franchise QB.

Aren't McCoy and Cousins also FAs after this season?

2015 is about Griffin.

2013 was about Griffin and we watched him play 13 games in the heavy brace.  2014 was about Griffin also and McCoy who played pretty well was yanked as soon as Griffin was cleared to play and proceeded to play as poorly as in 2013 so he was benched.  2015 has thus far been about Griffin and we've seen the results, he's no better than in 2014.  Why squander another season turning this road apple into a rose?

Cousins will most likely be on a new team next year (barring injury to the existing starter).  His services will be sought after by plenty of teams and I could see the Skins drafting Scot's guy in the 1st or 2nd round 2016.

That said, I'd love to really see what Cousins can do for 16 games with the full support of the coaching staff and front office.

If Mike Shanahan is correct then we might regret letting him go without giving him a real chance to play and show what he's got.

Yes.

I fail to see how Cousins would ever consider resigning unless Griffin is cut beforehand...

I agree.  I can't imagine Cousins resigning unless he is given a real opportunity to play and win the job.  He's been watching Griffin stink up the field since his injury in late 2012 and being stuck behind this bust because of all the investment in acquiring Griffin.  They need to give up on one and if they continue to play Griffin they have given up on Cousins after 9 starts which seem incredibly stupid to me because he'll walk to get to another franchise and have a fair chance to succeed.

Yes.

I fail to see how Cousins would ever consider resigning unless Griffin is cut beforehand...

Yeah, there's no way Cousins would re-sign if Griffin is still here and don't blame him in the slightest. If Griffin is still here during Free Agency then that means Griffin had a good to great season, is healthy and projected to sign a new contract and be the Redskins starter for the foreseeable future. 

Hopefully, then Cousins can find something and not become a wanderer from team to team like Flynn, given some time I think he could fix up the interceptions. Cooley made a good comment the other day, when Cousins throws a pick, he feels not only he let down his team but also his career because he knows that he's more then likely about to ride the bench.

Understandably, QB's are judged based on turnovers but to have the notion that just a few (albeit in bad times) would send you to the bench with little chance of coming back out isn't great for confidence. Not to mention, when he threw those picks, they were behind, he was trying to get some plays going and running wasn't really used since being down.

Saturday will tell a lot. 

I'm one of the few who haven't given up hope on Griffin, but I do think that Kirk Cousins can be a serviceable NFL quarterback.  (See? You don't have to tear down one to support the other!)

The main knock against Kirk - interceptions - is an issue that can be corrected. 

I think if we build the team that Scotty M wants, cousins could actually be the guy.  

Cousins is a lot like R Wilson.  He is unable to press down two TD's and try to win the game.  But, with a solid defense and running game, he could manage the game all day, similar to what we saw in Cleveland in his first start in 2012

But, I'm not sure this team is there yet.  Still a bad team, really.  So in that sense, might as well let Griffin play this year.

Cousins has shown us something in the WCO offense.  For long stretches he looks great and then he implodes.  After only 9 chances to start I am prepared to hope if not believe the good play can to expanded and the interceptions reduced.  To me this is a lot more rational than maintaining some hoping Griffin who has had 36 starts is going to begin so show some degree of aptitude for running a WCO in his 37 start or 38, 39, ....50.  Griffin thinks to slow for it, plain and simple and we all see it.  It just takes him too long to figure out the correct solution if he figures it out at all.  Griffin is a bust.

Cousins may fail to get over the hump if given 16 starts or even if give 41 starts but with him there is a reasonable chance because he looks close while Griffin is just clueless despite all the coaching he's received.

I think if we build the team that Scotty M wants, cousins could actually be the guy.  

Cousins is a lot like R Wilson.  He is unable to press down two TD's and try to win the game.  But, with a solid defense and running game, he could manage the game all day, similar to what we saw in Cleveland in his first start in 2012

But, I'm not sure this team is there yet.  Still a bad team, really.  So in that sense, might as well let Griffin play this year.

It is still a bad team. That's where the problem with starting RGIII really shines for me. On bad teams being built with lots of young players trying to find their way, RGIII's play is so poor he makes evaluating the other players on offense that much more difficult. At least with Kirk in there, the front office and coaches will at least be able to see how good or bad the players they have really are when there is an average, at worst, QB in there.  

Archived