Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports (AP):Sam Bradford doesn't hold back in practice with Eagles

Jumbo

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sam-bradford-doesnt-hold-back-practice-eagles-202432395--nfl.html

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Sam Bradford was full-go on the first day of training camp.

''It's a big step,'' Bradford said. ''It's been almost a year since I've been on the field full speed. It was a really big first step and first day. Each day I'm out here I'm going to get more comfortable.''Bradford took snaps, fired passes and participated in all the quarterback drills with the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. He didn't even wear a clunky knee brace on his twice-surgically repaired left knee.

Bradford has no limitations and even joked he may start scrambling.

''You guys might even see me pull one and run it up the middle,'' he said.

edit

Bradford was 18-30-1 as a starter for the Rams. He has 59 TD passes, 38 interceptions and a 79.3 passer rating in a five-year career. Bradford, who will earn $12.9 million this season, is part of a high-profile quarterback group that includes Mark SanchezTim Tebow and Matt Barkley.

Sanchez led the Eagles to a 5-4 record after Foles was injured. Tebow is competing with Barkley for the No. 3 job after sitting out two seasons.

''Just to be a part of it felt good, adjusting to the speed of the game,'' Bradford said.

more on this and other iggle stuff at link

Just to keep track...

Sam Bradford:

Reps: 27 reps (all with 1st team)

Stats: 16/21, 1 INT, 0 TD

Analysis: The fact that Bradford was out at practice taking part in every drill is a win, and in someways, at least for Sunday, was all the coaches and fans needed to see. Watching Bradford, however, it is clear that health is not going to be the only issue with the team's new quarterback.

Bradford looked rusty on Sunday, which is to be expected considering he hasn't played 11-on-11 football in close to a year. Bradford had the lone interception of the day among the quarterbacks, throwing the ball right to cornerback Nolan Carroll. Bradford also badly overthrew an open Riley Cooper down the sideline. 

Grade: C

Mark Sanchez:

Reps: 24 reps (all with 2nd team)

Stats: 11/16, 0 TD, 0 INT

Analysis: If Sanchez is planning on making this a quarterback competition, he can't have many more practices like Sunday. 

Sanchez's play was not the issue, as he took what the defense was giving him, checking the ball down throughout the practice. Sanchez did not, however, take many shots deep, a gameplan he might need to change if he is going to impress coaches enough to win the job. 

The fact that Sanchez didn't get a single rep with the first team is also not a good sign for the veteran hoping to become the starter. 

Grade: B

Tim Tebow:

Reps: 14 reps

Stats: 9/12, 0 TD, 0 INT

Analysis: If there was one positive for Tebow to take from Sunday's practice, it is that he is clearly competing with Barkley for the final quarterback spot. Unlike past years, where Barkley dominated the third-team reps, Tebow got nearly half on Sunday. 

He was not overly sharp, however, with those reps. 

On one pass late in the practice, Tebow had an open receiver down the field, but didn't put enough on the ball to get it there in time. Had Tebow seen the play develop earlier, it could have been a long completion. Tebow also threw one ball into the ground, something he has struggled with since signing with the team.

Grade: D+

Matt Barkley

Reps: 16

Stats: 11/13, 0 TD, 0 INT

Analysis: Some would argue, including this reporter, that Barkley has no chance of being in Philadelphia this season. If he is good, the team will trade him. If he isn't, he will be released. 

On Sunday, Barkley looked like a quarterback the Eagles might be able to land a late-round pick for. 

Barkley put excellent touch on all of his passes during the team's first practice, including a couple of nice deep passes into contested coverage. Barkley also had the best completion percentage among the quarterbacks, and seemed very comfortable. 

Grade: B+

Don't care what they say, Bradford looked like he's still favoring that knee. Just like Griffin did, he doesn't fully step into his throws and put his full weight on his left leg. I'm no coach, but even I could see that. He has a long way to go before he looks and plays normal. He's using mostly arm right now.

Just the fact that Bradford didn't break a finger getting it caught on the lace of the football on the first play of practice, I guess can be considered progress. :)

He does have a way to go. He does kinda look like Griffin did at the start of the 2013 TC.

Don't care what they say, Bradford looked like he's still favoring that knee. Just like Griffin did, he doesn't fully step into his throws and out his full weight on his left leg. I'm no coach, but even I could see that. He has a long way to go before he looks and plays normal. He's using mostly arm right now.

I think it will also take him another year from a mental standpoint.  After two knee injuries I just think he will take a long time before he is truly comfortable, and playing like he was per-injuries.  Just a long road back.

I believe it actually took 3 posts for RG3 to be brought up.  Accuracy matters!  (unless you're RG3)  :P

He said "within 5 posts", which means 5 or less, which was, in fact, accurate. Narrowing it down to the specific post is improving precision, not accuracy. :)

Archived