Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chron: The disturbing things that happen to your body when you drink Coca-Cola

Zguy28

The disturbing things that happen to your body when you drink Coca-Cola

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Learn-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-drink-6415174.php

A new infographic that's trending in social media today claims to explain exactly why you feel a drug-like rush when Coca-Cola enters your system.

Graphic at link.

I wish one of these could be done about Coke Zero. I can't bring myself to drink regular Coke due to the high sugar.

I don't trust anything that appears to have been put together by a health crusader.  It's always exaggerated or phrased intentionally to make the mundane seem scarier.  I say this as a person that hasn't had a coke in years and even then, only because someone did me the kindness of putting whiskey in it.  They remind me of the kind of fanaticism that spawned corn flakes as a means of combating the solitary vice. 

Agree with Destino (similarly as a person that can count on one hand the number of sodas I've consumed this year).  This is so over the top as to defeat the purpose.  There are many far-better illustrations and analysis of why soft drinks are extremely bad for you and why the companies that push them really don't care if you have serious health consequences (including death).

Having a soda habit is not the healthiest life decision but this seems over the top.  As a general rule you probably shouldn't be drinking too much sugar-- I don't think our bodies are designed to process it at the volumes it's available to us.  On the same token, if you're craving a coke once every couple of weeks, go for it.

I don't trust anything that appears to have been put together by a health crusader.  It's always exaggerated or phrased intentionally to make the mundane seem scarier.  I say this as a person that hasn't had a coke in years and even then, only because someone did me the kindness of putting whiskey in it.  They remind me of the kind of fanaticism that spawned corn flakes as a means of combating the solitary vice.

Well said. You can just see the guys sitting sound in a circle passing a dirty bong around talking about how bad cokes are for you, man

Well said. You can just see the guys sitting sound in a circle passing a dirty bong around talking about how bad cokes are for you, man

Yeah, lots of times the science of it is technically accurate but the actual levels and effects are WAY overblown to suit an agenda. Case in point "this is the same way heroin works".

Thankfully I won't become a heroin addict based on the amount of soda that I ingest.

Stopped drinking soda about 7-8 years ago on the regular. Haven't taken a moment to look back.

I used to love Sprite, now it tastes like pure sugar...no thanks.

If I do drink some, it is only a little taste here or there.

Thankfully I won't become a heroin addict based on the amount of soda that I ingest.

Stopped drinking soda about 7-8 years ago on the regular. Haven't taken a moment to look back.

I used to love Sprite, now it tastes like pure sugar...no thanks.

If I do drink some, it is only a little taste here or there.

I've noticed that as well. If I eat healthy and cut my sugar for a while and then try a soda it tastes like pure sugar. We really are desensitized to just how much damn sugar we put in freaking everything nowadays.

I've noticed that as well. If I eat healthy and cut my sugar for a while and then try a soda it tastes like pure sugar. We really are desensitized to just how much damn sugar we put in freaking everything nowadays.

I completely cut off sugar for a short period of time a few years ago and one of the things I noticed was that the natural sweetness in certain foods came back-- i.e. almonds.

One of the hypotheses I've read about artificial sweeteners and why the people who use them tend to be more obese, is that they are hyper-sweet and completely screw up your sense of what sweet things taste like.  So when you end up in a situation where you have no sweetener you take way more sugar than you should.

I agree with mistertim, I don't typically crave sodas unless I'm hung over and eating fast food. Given the fact that I'm in my late-30s, hangovers are pretty much the only time that I have McDonalds or Wendys. 

If we cook or go out to a nice meal, I generally have wine (which I can't imagine is any better) or water/iced tea. 

Archived