Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS SIGN LB RYAN KERRIGAN TO CONTRACT EXTENSION

TK

For Immediate Release

July 29, 2015

REDSKINS SIGN LB RYAN KERRIGAN TO CONTRACT EXTENSION

RICHMOND, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed linebacker Ryan Kerrigan to a multi-year contract extension. Full terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Kerrigan (6-4, 260) was drafted by the Redskins in the first round (16th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft. He started all 64 of the team’s regular season games from 2011-14 as well as starting in the NFC Wild Card round during the 2012 season. He was selected to the 2013 Pro Bowl following the 2012 season.

“To get to a moment like this where you get a chance to play out the rest of your NFL career with the team that drafted you, the team that you love, the city that you love, it hasn’t really hit me yet, but it’s an awesome feeling,” Kerrigan said. “Now it’s my job to go reward the Redskins for the faith they put in me by playing well this year and for the rest of my career.”

For his career, Kerrigan has compiled 248 tackles (52 for loss), 38 sacks, 16 passes defensed, 15 forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and two interceptions (both returned for touchdowns). His 15 forced fumbles since entering the league in 2011 rank second in the NFL in that time frame.

Last season, Kerrigan tied for the league lead in forced fumbles (five) and ranked second in the NFC with a career-high 13.5 sacks. His 13.5 sacks tied him with Ken Harvey (1994) for the most by a Redskins linebacker in a single season.

Kerrigan, 26, played collegiately at Purdue from 2006-10, finishing his career tied for the all-time Football Bowl Subdivision record with 14 forced fumbles. A native of Muncie, Ind., he earned first team all-state honors at the city’s Central H.S. He was born on Aug. 16, 1988.

Love the timing on this, as well. Niles Paul being re-signed and with Trent hopefully getting done soon, too... 

That huge rookie class Scot just brought in will have nice, relevant and very recent examples of what it means to produce for the Redskins.  

Glad to hear about the extension.  Not sure if he's the 3rd best OLB in the NFL.  But he's certainly top 10.  Arguably top 5. 

IMO, after the last few seasons, there aren't that many Redskins who are on the "we can't lose this guy" list, but he's certainly one of them. 

Good signing. The good teams keep their own talent and they lock them up early so they don't sniff FA.

I'd love to lock up Trent Williams too, but we might want to see him have a healthy year first. Two straight injury riddled years means he may not be worth paying big money to keep.

I really hope not. That should be the last priority.

Yeah, honestly I hope we shoved as much of it as we could into this year's cap space. Rather he (and Trent's if it gets done) contracts occupy it now than later.

Yeah, honestly I hope we shoved as much of it as we could into this year's cap space. Rather he (and Trent's if it gets done) contracts occupy it now than later.

Yeah, in terms of our personnel and salary cap and draft picks and such, I keep thinking that we might be in the market for three QBs, next year. 

Archived