Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Identity Fraud Comeuppance.or SD FOX: News reporter confronts woman accused of stealing his credit card number

Burgold

I just heard this great story on the radio about a reporter who got his credit card number stolen, managed to track down the woman who did it, travelled down to the hotel, taped her, chased her down an elevator, before her ultimate arrest.

Good for him. Hopefully, cathartic for victims.

The encounter:

http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/07/28/consumer-news-reporter-confronts-woman-accused-of-stealing-his-credit-card-number/

This stuff could all be resolved with chip and pin technology.

Why America is so slow to stop credit card fraud by doing this dumbfounds me.

At a minimum we should all be using chip cards and require the billing zip code for any transaction.

This stuff could all be resolved with chip and pin technology.

Why America is so slow to stop credit card fraud by doing this dumbfounds me.

At a minimum we should all be using chip cards and require the billing zip code for any transaction.

It's about cheapness. The retailers are opposed to picking up the costs of the new readers. That's what I remember reading anyway. The US is way behind on the curve in this area. 

It's about cheapness. The retailers are opposed to picking up the costs of the new readers. That's what I remember reading anyway. The US is way behind on the curve in this area. 

Well after October, the liability swings more heavily to any merchants using the old swipe systems.  If you don't use the chip and dip and the consumer denies the charge, the liability will be on them.

"You picked the wrong guy."

LOL its funny because the reporter is playing the victim but the only real victims of this type of thing are the merchants.  They can't ask for ID because it's against their contract with the processor.  But if a skimmer uses the card at their establishment, they end up liable for the fraudulent charges.

I've had my card number skimmed once and it was ridiculously easy to fix the problem.  The card company sent me a list of all my charges for the month and I literally checked off the ones that weren't mine and mailed it back.  That was it.  For my own record-keeping, I added the step of photocopying everything and sending my response by registered mail, but there's no way I'd ever play the victim card on all of that.

Nah, the credit card owner is a real victim too. You may think of it not a hassle, but I imagine for some it's a true pain in the butt and maybe even costly.

If it was a Visa/Mastercard debit card, you're right.  The money is taken out of the cardholder's bank account until the bank and card company figure out the situation.  If it was a credit card then the consumer protection laws are pretty clear.  The cardholder tells the card company about it and it's their problem to deal with. The cardholder isn't liable for any of the fradulent charges while the investigation is being completed, and assuming the situation is legit fraud, the charges will get waived during that process.

Nah, the credit card owner is a real victim too. You may think of it not a hassle, but I imagine for some it's a true pain in the butt and maybe even costly.

There's the hassle of contacting all the places you've set up automatic monthly payments and giving them the new card information.

I only have 2 credit cards. Both have chips as does my debit card. I NEVER use my debit card as a credit card, only in emergency. If I don't have cash, I use one of the credit cards and make the payment later. It's easier to recover charges on a credit card then to have them drain your checking account. And it doesn't bother me to show ID or have to put in the Zip. I prefer it from merchants. I try to only go to ATM machines at the actual bank.  I know they can be compromised too, but maybe a little less likely.

Oh and did I mention I never do automatic payments?  I'll pay you when you send me the bill.

I had a credit limit of $30k and last year I called and asked them to reduce it to $5k

You would not believe how difficult this was to do. They could not even fathom why I would want to do this.

I don't use my card often at all, really only for emergencies and amazon prime purchases. I didn't want a lot of exposure should the card be compromised.

I think it actually negatively impacted my credit rating, too. But I'm not positive.

Credit ratings are an absolute joke btw but that's another discussion

"You picked the wrong guy."

LOL its funny because the reporter is playing the victim but the only real victims of this type of thing are the merchants.  They can't ask for ID because it's against their contract with the processor.  But if a skimmer uses the card at their establishment, they end up liable for the fraudulent charges.

I've had my card number skimmed once and it was ridiculously easy to fix the problem.  The card company sent me a list of all my charges for the month and I literally checked off the ones that weren't mine and mailed it back.  That was it.  For my own record-keeping, I added the step of photocopying everything and sending my response by registered mail, but there's no way I'd ever play the victim card on all of that.

It's easy to get the charges removed, but then there is the entire having to close out the card, get a new one, then update every single online payment set-up you have again.  That is a pain in the balls.

We had ours hacked/stolen a while back, changed it up, etc.  Then the Target hack happened, so our CC company had everyone close it out and change it up.  Then another compromised company had it happen again.  We changed our accounts like 3 times over a 4 month span, pain in the balls.

I only have 2 credit cards. Both have chips as does my debit card. I NEVER use my debit card as a credit card, only in emergency. If I don't have cash, I use one of the credit cards and make the payment later. It's easier to recover charges on a credit card then to have them drain your checking account. And it doesn't bother me to show ID or have to put in the Zip. I prefer it from merchants. I try to only go to ATM machines at the actual bank.  I know they can be compromised too, but maybe a little less likely.

Oh and did I mention I never do automatic payments?  I'll pay you when you send me the bill.

I never debit.  And unless I have no other options, I still pay my bills by mail. 

I also shake the card reader at places like gas stations.  If it feels loose, then I'll go elsewhere. 

Archived