Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: It’s not just about RGIII, and Redskins’ Scot McCloughan has proven it

SkinsHokieFan

Excellent article. This also would probably have been the approach in 2012 if the cap penalties were not unfairly assessed on the team.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/its-not-just-about-rgiii-as-redskins-scot-mccloughan-has-proven/2015/07/25/73030ed8-3252-11e5-8f36-18d1d501920d_story.html

It’s not just about RGIII, and Redskins’ Scot McCloughan has proven it

Just in time to preempt an overflow of training camp optimism, theRobert Griffin III critics — a ubiquitous bunch now — pointed once more last week at the dark, gray cloud hovering over the Washington Redskins’ season.

This time, the never-ending audit of Griffin featured an ESPN.com ranking that placed him among the bottom five starting quarterbacks in the NFL and included some scathing declarations by anonymous coaches and executives that, at age 25, he is done, shot, never to dazzle again. Then came the inevitable reaction, ranging from annoyance to fret to resignation. And now, with practice set to begin Thursday, you’re left to muster excitement, somehow, about a team whose most well-known player is undergoing a living autopsy.

Here’s the thing, though, that few realize: As much as the Griffin saga will swallow the attention, as much as this season represents the tipping point of his once-promising career, the franchise isn’t stuck in neutral while waiting for a verdict on whether Griffin’s star can still shine. In fact, their progress under first-year General Manager Scot McCloughan isn’t necessarily tied to the quarterback.

Very good article. I just hope DS gives SM enough time to build this team. QB debates aside, if he builds the team like SF or Seattle, a lot of pressure will be off the QBs shoulders. It also takes excuses for QB off the table as the team will be set up to succeed rather than the opposite being true. SM focus is building a competitive team which is strong in all areas, not just QB.

I was talking with my son yesterday about this season, We are trying to be optimistic but seems it is like this every year for the past 20 (a couple seasons were good though) years or so, we get excited only to be let down. This feels a bit different, but guarded against getting hopes up.

Do you really believe Dan will can Scot? Seriously? If he leaves it will be by his own accord. Dan gets the same treatment by the press, and fans, that RGIII does.

Yep. Dan is going to give Scot all the resources and money he wants to right this ship.

I was just about to post this article as well but not just for the content. It was an excellent article and frankly not something we've been accustomed to reading on the WaPo. It was refreshing not only for the substance but the way it was crafted. I guess it's because he is new to the area and can look at things from a fresh and unbiased perspective.

It's a really good read and I'm looking forward to more of those types of articles and insights throughout the season rather than the dogpile on doom and gloom of JReid and some of the other crew.

Really good article. I particularly liked the wrap up;

"After a 7-25 record over the past two seasons, the fastest route to respectability is through Griffin’s redemption. So it’s easy to define the upcoming season’s expectations by his performance. But if McCloughan truly gets to build the team his way, this year is much more about Brandon Scherff, Preston Smith and the rest of the 10-player 2015 draft class.

The Griffin situation is the high-profile cloud, always hovering, impossible to ignore. This season, it will produce its last rainfall, or it will defer to sunshine.
Either way, McCloughan has an entire roster to build."

TheDan is LOVING it so far, people are talking about this franchise in a serious fashion he hasn't seen since he bought it. No matter what, McClue has redeemed the Skins in a lot of people's minds, now we just need to see results in the W/L column (in a couple years).

I still find myself waiting to wake up and remember that the whole "hired a real GM" thing was just a dream.

I am just waiting for Dan to give Scot the resources to build a scouting empire.

Dan still hasn't poured nearly enough resources into scouting, player development, strength and conditioning, the medical staff, the facilities and weight room.

All of that could be done for 1/10th of Haynesworth's contract

I enjoyed this article as well. Opposed to the Deadspin article I just read that made me want to strangle the author. I know the proof is in the pudding when it comes to building A championship roster. It will take some time to build A Bully. Scotty McFly left some Jello pudding pops in SanFran as well as Seattle. Looking forward to Training camp. 

I am just waiting for Dan to give Scot the resources to build a scouting empire.

Dan still hasn't poured nearly enough resources into scouting, player development, strength and conditioning, the medical staff, the facilities and weight room.

To be fair, Mike Clark (strength & conditioning coach) had the weight room upgraded to reflect his power lifting philosophy.

You can take every intelligent word written/spoken--that is the very limited quantity that exists--about this team, whether in the media or on the message boards, and any positive or hopeful content (actual or spin-generated), and it will all crumble like stale bread once numerous actual struggles begin during the season, and losses mount, as they likely will.

Many Rg3 fanboys/haters (or hyper-active cripplingly biased apologists/critics if you prefer) will attempt to continue their fervent dumabssery and the usually-related-by-blood herd of Gruden naysayers (and ALL "play-calling experts") will be all over Jay and Sean (even when/if not deserving/merited, is the point here), and Barry will quickly be flagged as "Haslett 2.O" or some such, and the only person that might be safe from the foaming and flailing about in the typical gameday hell-pit thread (and the various competing groupthink fights afterwards in various threads) is Scot---for at least another year. 

Now if we end up winning more than expected and more than a few things look better than realistically projected, we all float on pink clouds of pleasantness.

But until that actually happens, or whatever does actually happen on the field, I just look at all the "talk" up until the preseason games start as holding the same worth as farts in the wind---which would also be historically accurate. 

Yep. Dan is going to give Scot all the resources and money he wants to right this ship.

I am more worried Dan interferes or doesn't give Scot enough time.  Dan for his faults does put resources in the team.  But if Dan interferes with Scot hopefully there will be a real fan revolt.  There is one common denominator in all these years of losing and that is Danny.  

For me the unique feeling with Scot in charge is I trust whatever he wants to do.  I got my opinion about RG3 but if Scot sees it differently, fine with me.  I want what he wants.  And that's the first time I've felt that way as for trusting the FO during Danny's time.

........................ Some of the stuff I don't quite understand..........................

Now if we end up winning more than expected and more than a few things look better than realistically projected, we all float on pink clouds of pleasantness.

But until that actually happens, or whatever does actually happen on the field, I just look at all the "talk" up until the preseason games start as holding the same worth as farts in the wind---which would also be historically accurate. 

I don't always understand everything you say, but you nailed it at the end there.

Please, please, please, let us all be floating on pink clouds of pleasantness at some time in the near future.

Do you really believe Dan will can Scot?  Seriously? If he leaves it will be by his own accord.  Dan gets the same treatment by the press, and fans, that RGIII does.

This is probably a 2 to 3 year project, maybe more. Let me ask you this, has Dan been patient (besides Joe Gibbs) enough to build before? Like I did say, this feels different this time. Dan seems different this time as well so I am hopeful.

I am hoping this is just the beginning, but I hoped it was just the beginning with Marty, Mike, and.....well, didn't like Spurrier or Zorn so not including them. I hope SM stays long enough to build a winner.

I don't always understand everything you say, but you nailed it at the end there.

Please, please, please, let us all be floating on pink clouds of pleasantness at some time in the near future.

Well, the middle part is written mainly in "ES-speak" , coming from a guy who knows the dynamics of the board too well. Be grateful if some of it left you confused---it means your developmentally healthy enough not to spend too much time here.  :P

When I first read this article on the WaPo (first new, substantive article they had had about the Skins in a few days), my first thought was "DAMN! This is an article in the WaPO?!"  Whoever this writer is, bringing him in from SEA was the first smart move they've made in a while. Now, maybe they can send out their "the name is RAAAA-CIST" usual suspect writers to other cities, that would be another MAJOR improvement!

RGIII will do fine this year and a lot of the pressure will be taken off of his shoulders just because the team around him will be so much better. I'm ready for the soap opera to end and for us to start making strides back to dominance in the NFC-E.

I am more worried Dan interferes or doesn't give Scot enough time.  Dan for his faults does put resources in the team.  But if Dan interferes with Scot hopefully there will be a real fan revolt.  There is one common denominator in all these years of losing and that is Danny.  

For me the unique feeling with Scot in charge is I trust whatever he wants to do.  I got my opinion about RG3 but if Scot sees it differently, fine with me.  I want what he wants.  And that's the first time I've felt that way as for trusting the FO during Danny's time.

I don't think you have to worry about Dan pulling the rug from Scot. Scot will have to produce several seasons of a steaming pile of <insert representation of choice here> before he does that. We would have to show serious signs of regress from our present position and no sign of improvement before that happens. It took us the better part of 24 seasons to get here. Although *SUPER BOWL* this year would be flippin' sweet, no one expects us to do better than .500. Anything else is gravy.

I am more worried Dan interferes or doesn't give Scot enough time. Dan for his faults does put resources in the team. But if Dan interferes with Scot hopefully there will be a real fan revolt. There is one common denominator in all these years of losing and that is Danny.

For me the unique feeling with Scot in charge is I trust whatever he wants to do. I got my opinion about RG3 but if Scot sees it differently, fine with me. I want what he wants. And that's the first time I've felt that way as for trusting the FO during Danny's time.

Same with me. If Scot wants to move on from RG than I'm all for it. I was upset about the Scherff pick but I trust Scot and he's forgot more football than I'll ever know. Things just feel like they're headed in the right direction with him at the helm and I just don't see Snyder interfering.

All we need is for one of the "Who?" guys Scot picked to really shine and talkin' TheDan into a scouting empire will be easy.

And thanks for throwin' a bucket of cold water on the herd again Jumbo

You are right on point. Very few people here write exactly what I am thinking, but bro? You nailed it.

Dan needs to give SM everything he needs to turn this football team into a world class organization. All inclusive, from head to toe.

Archived