Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins-Cowboys 1992: Gibbs I last hurrah at RFK

hail2skins

This is one of the first games I remember "making a deal with God" about :lol: .  I had to be 8 or 9 years old at the time.

I remember my parents making me take a shower, and by the time I got out we had the lead. 

Thank you very much for sharing.

This is one of the first games I remember "making a deal with God" about :lol: .  I had to be 8 or 9 years old at the time.

I remember my parents making me take a shower, and by the time I got out we had the lead. 

Thank you very much for sharing.

*Soccer story. Turn away now .....

True story. Which is probably wrong on so many levels but yer know. Needs must and all that. 

Three of us sold our soul to the Devil the Friday night before the 1986 Cup Final against Everton. Did a ceremony out of this book we found in the library and everything. 

Things you do for the Red Men. 

Happy to take whatever happens if he ever comes collecting after witnessing completing the double against the blue ****e.  :lol:

*Soccer story over. Normal football has resumed. 

Hail. 

I remember this game well as this was really the first full season of 'Skins football that I became a hardcore fan.  I was too young during the 80's to really know the details of sports other then "Root for this team because Daddy likes them"  The '91 Super Bowl season/win I tuned into but I was only 11 years old.  

It was this season, coming off the Superbowl win that I was locked in and ready to start the fandom that has stuck with me all these years.

Re-watching this now, it is pretty amazing how different the rules were back then and just how much the modern rules help the passing game.  I am watching WR's nearly being tackled before the ball gets to them and no flag.

I remember this game vividly as well. I was 15 and was really starting to get into football. The ending was the wildest thing I had ever seen. There was no replay at the time, so whatever they called is what they called. The other thing was, even though it should have been called an incomplete pass, Aikman knew he wasn't trying to throw it when he lost it. He knew he was holding back, which is why he went after it. In today's rules, Dallas keeps the ball and probably finds a way to run out the clock. That was one of the pivotal games that developed my hope in a comeback no matter what the situation looks like.

The other thing I remember was that intro video. I remember Summerall narrating about getting together with family and friends to celebrate the holidays, as they were showing fights between the two teams. I remember how mad it made me and how much hatred I had towards the cowboys before that game even started.

"When you have to play one of these meaningful games in December, RFK stadium in Washington DC on natural grass is a great place to play it" 

One thing I love about this game is how our guys just keep punching them in the mouth, over and over. No backing down, just hit them on every play. 

I am also convinced Troy Aikman had a concussion late in this game. He has that dazed off look while sitting on the bench in the final minutes 

One more thing. I love how at the end, in the Sportscenter highlights, how much Olbermann says "Redskins and Skins"

Just thought I would mention it :) 

I've posted this anecdote a few times, but that near the end had to be one of the most confusing things I've ever seen.  I'm guessing there were about 3 people in the stadium who knew Danny Copeland recovered that football and they were the ref, Danny Copeland and Pat Sumerall (OK, I'm slightly exaggerating).  Pat Sumerall mentioned once that Copeland had recovered it, but the cameras kept intently focused on the pile in the end zone (there was no football at the bottom), and I swear they never showed a replay. Of course the Redskins got the points and won, but I never figured it out.

YEARS later, my dad bought a "75 years of Redskins history" VHS tape at Safeway and they showed that play in the video.  That's where I finally saw Copeland pick up the football and about 5 others guys fall on the spot on the field where it was sitting.  Then 10 others guys fell on those five, so everyone's eyes went straight to the pile.

Was this the same year the 'Skins lost to the 49ers in the divisional round, where a win would have led to another NFC Championship game vs. Dallas?

What went wrong in the SF game? Wasn't it pretty close? I seem to have a memory of a sure INT going right throw Darrell Green's hands in the endzone.  Am I thinking of the right game?

The memory of the SF divisional game was a bad exchange between Rypien and B-Mitch which resulted in a turnover. Had the exchange been clean there was a big hole that would've likely resulted in a TD, but can't remember whether we would've taken the lead or tied the game.

That said, looking back, not sure if I would've liked our chances at Dallas. We did win the wild game at RFK, but I can imagine how fired up the Cowboys, who were really hitting their zenith, would've been to avenge that loss.

The Redskins were down 17-13 when that fumble happened, so a TD would've put them ahead.  Mind you, there were ~10 minutes left in the game, and the 49ers took that turnover and went downfield to score a FG.  If the same thing happened, that would've put it at a tie game with a few minutes remaining.

I have come to realize that we had a better team than i remeber in 1999. A rb and 2 wrs over a thousand yards each.and then we lose to da bucs and then snyder goes fantasy football and totally destroys it. I always liked Tre Johnson and the rb Davis. And the mlb from Arizona we drafted was much better than he wàs given credit for. I want to buy the 1999 season and playoffs on dvd. I actually found someone who had it but when i finally found the do rae me to do it i lost track of the seller. Httr Actually with norv we became a real thorn in dallas's back side.what a shame. One of those what if moments, what if we keep Brad Johnson at qb still get Champ Bailey (but we keep him this time) and still get and keep Lt Samuels and Sean Taylor. What a nasty defense and team to reckon with for years. What A shame, to be relevant again. Oh well i can dream cant i ?

He was and it was bad. My first NFL game was this:

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXboxscoresXX199312110was.htm

That Jets game remains a very memorable contest to me, only bc I didn't see any of it. It's extremely rare that I ever miss an entire game, even if it's a meaningless, late season match-up like that one. My excuse is that my HS's fb team was playing for a state title in Chesapeake, VA on that chilly afternoon. We didn't get any score updates until we got back to within AM radio range of DC that evening. When we heard the final score 3-0, it was a total wtf moment. 

The Redskins were down 17-13 when that fumble happened, so a TD would've put them ahead.  Mind you, there were ~10 minutes left in the game, and the 49ers took that turnover and went downfield to score a FG.  If the same thing happened, that would've put it at a tie game with a few minutes remaining.

Right...the chances of winning that 49er game have been slightly inflated over time. As was the theme in 1992, we had to battle and fight just to get back into the game (trailed 17-3 at halftime and clawed back to within 17-13 early in the 4th). Not only would a TD have simply given the 49ers more than half the quarter to come back and tie or take the lead, but I think the likelihood of a TD on that play has been exaggerated through the years too. 

There was a big hole and Mitchell would have gotten some good yardage, but it's not like we snapped that ball from the 10 or something. I don't have the exact play referenced, but I believe we were just getting into FG range at the time, so it would have taken a 25+ yard run to score there. Granted, we had all the momentum and even just a first down run keeps that going. 

That 1992 was so gritty and tough. We relied on our defense so much relative to the previous season. Going through that year as a sophomore in high school, I was so frustrated. I remember being so angry that we could barely beat the Detroits and Atlantas of the league after destroying them just a few months earlier. In hindsight, this is one of my favorite seasons because it truly demonstrated the heart that this dynasty fought with. This team was old and tired and still managed to defend its title respectably (taking a better team into the final minutes on the road in the divisional round). 

The '90 playoff game was just uploaded to YouTube.  Even though we never cut into the Niners halftime lead like we did in '92, we had our chances in the second half.....but Rypien through some heinous red zone picks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCZr-ZR6kuY

I've gone back and watched a good number of games from the Rypien era, (was pretty young during those years) that 3-5 season run of him as the starter and I have to say that if the 'Skins had a better or at least more consistent QB, they might have pulled in another trophy or two before Gibbs retired.  The rest of the team was good enough to where they never felt out of the game, and the offense had so many good drives and chances that just stalled out and ended due to errant throws.  Rypien had the season of his life in 1991, and it translated to a title. If he has 75% as good as he was in 1991 over all his other seasons, I am thinking 2-3 rings he'd have as a starting QB, instead of the 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow -I remember this game like yesterday. Sitting in my Dorm room watching it on a 13 inch TV with my Roomate a cowboy fan.

Ive told my son, who is now 14, about this game as one of the greatest endings of a Skins / Dallas game.  I had not seen it in 23 years.  

thanks for posting...

But now I'm sad - Cause I realized in time of reply - It was "probably" a forward pass (But maybe not enough to overturn) but smiths knee was def down.

In todays NFL - Best case scenario is skins safety.  

I remember this game/ year well. I actually went to the final game that year against Oakland where Vince Evans went to town on our defense. We back doored into the playoffs and lost to SF in the 2nd round in that muddy mess.  Rypien was terrible that entire year and the offense went several weeks not scoring a td.  Great coaching that year just to make it to the 2nd round. But the first game of the 92 season showed that the Cowboys were going to be around for a while. Joe got out at the right time. We were lucky to win this one.

Archived