Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-16 Washington Capitals Thread: The More Skillful, Less Gritty Edition

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Washington Capitals @washcaps 1m1 minute ago

5:00 of 3v3 coming up! Any and all goals DO count towards the final score - time to open up the ice! #CapsDevCamp

Washington Capitals @washcaps 44s44 seconds ago

Vrana, Djoos, and Stephenson for Team White, Bowey, Sanford, and Hobbs our for Team Red #CapsDevCamp

So jealous...

Great Day Washington @greatdaywash 2m2 minutes ago

Packed house at @washcaps Fanfest!

CJpE-KvWoAAfz_r.jpg

This Bowey kid was an excellent pick by McPhee.

Washington Capitals @washcaps 27s27 seconds ago

And Team Red scores again! Bowey nets one on Ruzicka and its 5-2 with 1:30 left #capsdevcamp

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774548

Canes Sign Hanifin to Entry-Level Contract
Boston College product was the first defenseman taken in 2015 Draft

RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed defenseman Noah Hanifin to a three-year, entry-level contract. The deal will pay Hanifin $832,500 on the NHL level or $70,000 on the American Hockey League (AHL) level through the 2017-18 season. Hanifin also receives a signing bonus of $277,500.

“Noah has had a great week here during our prospect development camp,” said Francis. “He is big, he can skate and he can move the puck. Noah fits the mold for the type of player and person we want in a Hurricanes uniform.”

Yep. Reston and Fairfax.

What level do you play?

Down in Raleigh as a first time player/goalie I started in the lowest league and we finished 3rd. I played last Monday in a league that was two levels up and it was soooo much fun. Way more action and the skill level was a lot higher.

No specific plan; will probably heavily depend on where I find work. Hell, I may find myself on the other side of the country if that's how the job search goes.

Cool. Let me know if it's at any of those facilities. I'd love to hop on a team with you. Or play against your little ass. :)

What level do you play?

Down in Raleigh as a first time player/goalie I started in the lowest league and we finished 3rd. I played last Monday in a league that was two levels up and it was soooo much fun. Way more action and the skill level was a lot higher.

Reston is D which is the lowest level they offer. Fairfax is D1, which is their second highest level.

I'd assume that equates to about a C or D level in NC.

I like to play on higher skilled teams but not at center. Definitely wing. I can't try and carry both ends of the ice against people who outclass me.

I'm playing at Fort Bragg if you're game Hersh.  Just hit me up and I'll come scoop you up.  Mostly roller cause the price is right.  Ice time is a mother ****er down here.  I might get on 10 times a year or so.

Cool. Let me know if it's at any of those facilities. I'd love to hop on a team with you. Or play against your little ass. :)

Yeah, I'll be sure to let you know. If I go to Fairfax, I'll probably rejoin the North Stars 'cause they're a good group of guys.

Reston is D which is the lowest level they offer. Fairfax is D1, which is their second highest level.

Does Fairfax not have two C leagues anymore? Are B and A Masters (old-men) only (plus sometimes Orlov on a Russian team)

There is C, D1, D2, and Novice. Plus Masters A, B, and C. Todd was trying to put together a Masters D as well but it didn't materialize. I discount the Masters leagues because they are 35 and up but I'd bet that the Masters A is probably the very best league in that facility.

North Stars play in D1 and they seem to get under our skin a bit. I remember a small guy who wears 7 (I think) who's pretty damn good on that team.

A guy who I used to play with joined that team a couple of seasons actually.

RE: thread title change.

When Ovie, Backstrom and Semin were leading us to Presidents trophies and playoff appearances, it was said we had too much skill and not enough grit to win in the playoffs.

So, we go out and get grit, but that didn't work.

So now, we're back to skill. So which is it? How the **** do you win a cup?

Do we have the balance we need now? I hope so.

I'm playing at Fort Bragg if you're game Hersh.  Just hit me up and I'll come scoop you up.  Mostly roller cause the price is right.  Ice time is a mother ****er down here.  I might get on 10 times a year or so.

I've never played roller but if there is a stick n puck (on ice), I'm down.

I've never played roller but if there is a stick n puck (on ice), I'm down.

Mostly the same.  The biggest difference is finding your edges.  You have to skate though so that you can wear your wheels to how you want them.

I'll let you know a ways out before I get on the ice, though.

Mostly the same.  The biggest difference is finding your edges.  You have to skate though so that you can wear your wheels to how you want them.

I'll let you know a ways out before I get on the ice, though.

I always have trouble stopping on wheels. My instincts are tuned for ice, and trying to stop on wheels like you would on ice is a recipe for disaster.

I always have trouble stopping on wheels. My instincts are tuned for ice, and trying to stop on wheels like you would on ice is a recipe for disaster.

yeah, you obviously aren't digging in on your edges like you would on the ice, lol.  I normally don't stop unless I'm coming off anyways.  Transition from forward to backward is something I still spend about 20 minutes a day working on.  It's probably the most perrishable skill on wheels.

yeah, you obviously aren't digging in on your edges like you would on the ice, lol.

Well... *looks at knee*... not doing so successfully. there is a form of the hockey stop that can be performed on wheels, but its execution is different and not something I've had much practice with.

I normally don't stop unless I'm coming off anyways.  Transition from forward to backward is something I still spend about 20 minutes a day working on.  It's probably the most perrishable skill on wheels.

I don't like circling around when I'm right where I want to be. I want to stop HERE dammit! Transitions aren't a problem since that's a skill that transfers over nicely.

Archived