Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIF Breakdown: Kirk Cousins' 10 Touchdowns in 2014

thehbrwhammer

When Kirk is good he's really good.  Unfortunately he's become good-Kirk bad-Kirk, i.e., the second coming of Rex Grossman.  I'm really interested in seeing the many interceptions.  You've noted that when the QB makes a bad read it has resulted in a forced throw into coverage.  I seem to recall several INTs where the passes were into space emptied by the WRs.  That is, the WR kept running instead of turning or turned right instead of left and vice-versa.  I'm wondering whether those were bad reads by the QB or bad reads by the WRs (or either depending upon the particular play)? 

These were last year. Is your memory that short? lol ;)

Yes, it is, because we never saw it after sometime midway last season. Cousins looked bad in Arizona and awful in Tennessee. And neither of the other two had touchdown passes that were as aesthetically pleasing as the ones above. 

****I am not advocating for a starting quarterback based on the aesthetics of his play style. I'm just admiring how pretty it is to watch. You'll see I was reasonably complementary of Griffin in his touchdowns in the other thread; it's just that two were screens, one a dump off, and one a run. That doesn't leave us much to talk about haha.

Aesthetically pleasing touchdown passes...

To quote Woody Allen in responding to his gf complaining that her orgasms weren't that good, "I dunno, even my worst one was just fine for me"

The first 2 or 3 plays just looked like a defensive breakdown.  The WR was left wide open because the defender left his man.  Either brilliant play calling or bad job on the defensive assignments, I can't really give Kirk much credit for those but the rest are really nice.  He puts it on the money in short field situations like the 10> at the goal line situations.

Does anyone know why Chester keeps touching the center right before the ball is snapped? What is that telling Licht?

That's the silent snap count.  Chester watches for Cousins to lift his leg and then touches Lich.  Lich starts his count and then snaps it.

It's just a different way to do it, other than the center looking between his legs to see it.  Probably more reliable since the guard can make sure that the QB isn't walking around back there making checks. 

First thing that comes to mind is how do you make sure that doesn't become a tell for the defense to take advantage of?

You have to change it up.  One second... three seconds, etc.

Archived