Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forbes: California Vaccination Bill SB 277 Signed By Governor, Becomes Law

No Excuses

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2015/06/30/california-vaccination-bill-sb-277-signed-by-governor-becomes-law/

A California bill that removes all exemptions to vaccine requirements for school entry except those medically indicated has just become law. After the California Assembly passed SB 277 on Thursday and the state senate passed the same version Monday, Governor Jerry Brown signed the bill into law this morning.

“The science is clear that vaccines dramatically protect children against a number of infectious and dangerous diseases,” Brown wrote in his signing message. “While it’s true that no medical intervention is without risk, the evidence shows that immunization powerfully benefits and protects the community.”

Brown acknowledged the significant and acrimonious opposition – includingcomparisons to Nazi Germany – and controversy that has surrounded the billsince its inception, inspired by the outbreak of measles that began at Disneyland last winter. But he points out that any child with a medical contraindication to receiving a vaccine can still receive an exemption to attend daycare or school.

More in the link

A major blow to parents who like to make bad decisions on bad information.

I support it too. I wonder if there will be cries of nanny state from the whacko left that was anti vax?

I think the anti vax tends to be extreme fringe lefties... the one anti-science part of the liberal wing, I guess.

Guess both sides have wackos huh...

Yep. Mind you, the lib whackos may be that way because of a lack of vaccination which caused disease and brain rot. Conservative whackos origins come from...

Lib wackos came from lack of vaccinations, and humping trees...

The other sides wackos are just trying to balance the equation ;)

So is there anything in the bill that defines when a vaccine becomes necessary for the greater public health, thus making it mandatory?

I'm specifically curious about HPV vaccines, because there's a group of people in this country that think that's wrong because 'omg sex' and they think abstinence is a more appropriate course of action.

I'm specifically curious about HPV vaccines, because there's a group of people in this country that think that's wrong because 'omg sex' and they think abstinence is a more appropriate course of action.

I could care less about them. They're in the same group as the anti-vaxxers.

I want to know if they name the vaccines required specifically, or the diseases that must be vaccinated against. Also, is there a mechanism for adding vaccines/diseases to this list. How is this decided on if there is?

So is there anything in the bill that defines when a vaccine becomes necessary for the greater public health, thus making it mandatory?

These are the mandatory vaccinations per Section 1 of the bill.

(1) Diphtheria.
(2) Hepatitis B.
(3) Haemophilus influenzae type b.
(4) Measles.
(5) Mumps.
(6) Pertussis (whooping cough).
(7) Poliomyelitis.
(8) Rubella.
(9) Tetanus.
(10) Varicella (chickenpox).

I see what you're doing California... Trying to export your crazies to other states.

Muahahahahaa!

You people have been buying your hobos a bus ticket to San Francisco for decades.   About time you got some of your own!  

I see what you're doing California... Trying to export your crazies to other states.

The crazy Californian liberals are the ones who get the press, but more of the the Red States are doing worse on vaccination rates:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/02/04/state-by-state-how-vaccination-rates-have-changed/

But MIssissippi has one of the highest rates of vaccination in the country.

These are the mandatory vaccinations per Section 1 of the bill.

(1) Diphtheria.
(2) Hepatitis B.
(3) Haemophilus influenzae type b.
(4) Measles.
(5) Mumps.
(6) Pertussis (whooping cough).
(7) Poliomyelitis.
(8) Rubella.
(9) Tetanus.
(10) Varicella (chickenpox).

So is there a process for adding more? If so, how does it work? Or do they have to pass a whole new law?

The crazy Californian liberals are the ones who get the press, but more of the the Red States are doing worse on vaccination rates:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/02/04/state-by-state-how-vaccination-rates-have-changed/

But MIssissippi has one of the highest rates of vaccination in the country.

to Red States have more anti-vaxxers, or do they simply have people who live in poverty and don't utilize healthcare/have access to healthcare facilities?

to Red States have more anti-vaxxers, or do they simply have people who live in poverty and don't utilize healthcare/have access to healthcare facilities?

Dunno - but interesting that Mississippi does relatively well.

As a Californian, I support this bill. You paranoid anti-vaxxer types can keep your kids in home school if you don't like it. No use putting other people's health in danger because you don't understand basic science. The comparisons to Nazi Germany are particularly hilarious, also.

A savvy entrepreneur with an education background really should be planning to open a private school in SF or wherever that is exempt from this law, and market said school to the anti vaxxer community.  My understanding is that anti vax parents tend to be rich as ****.  

HALLELUJAH PRAISE THE LORD!!!  Although it is unfortunate that the government had to step in to save people from their own stupidity.  

It is only the regularly scheduled childhood vaccines.

Link to the bill:  https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB277

Hopefully we'll see many more of these laws passed across the country.

You have a right to be dumb, you have a right to be ignorant.  But you don't have the right to put me in danger because of it.  That goes for a lot of other topics besides vaccinations.

A savvy entrepreneur with an education background really should be planning to open a private school in SF or wherever that is exempt from this law, and market said school to the anti vaxxer community.  My understanding is that anti vax parents tend to be rich as ****.  

And stupid as ****.  :)  But yes, by and large the areas with higher levels of unvaccinated people are our state's wealthiest counties like the OC.

Interestingly, my county (a rural/very Republican county) the people going ape**** are the very conservative/republican/libertarian people:  many are pro-vaccination, yet they feel their liberties are being taken away.  Although no one's liberties are being taken away...you just have to home school your child now if you choose to continue disregarding science.

Just a recent example of the ignorance/insanity/whatever those of us in public health and medicine have to deal with on at least a weekly basis:  pertussis case comes across my desk a couple weeks ago that I have to follow-up on.  After reviewing the file, I see it's an 8 m/o baby with no vaccinations.  Of course.  I call the baby's mother to discuss the case with her and she tells me her baby got pertussis (and almost died) because his older siblings got TDaP vaccinations at the health department last summer prior to their school admission and they "shed the virus" (pertussis isn't a virus....nor is TDaP a live vaccine) onto him (9 months later...).  

No matter what factual and scientific evidence I presented to her, it was the health department's fault for causing her child's pertussis by vaccinating the older siblings against pertussis the previous year.

This **** is why SB 277 had to be passed.  And why I'm burnt out and just want to go back to Africa to work.  I'd rather deal with Ebola.

Hopefully we'll see many more of these laws passed across the country.

You have a right to be dumb, you have a right to be ignorant.  But you don't have the right to put me in danger because of it.  That goes for a lot of other topics besides vaccinations.

Except for guns.

/ducks.

Archived