Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Supreme Court rules in favor of same-sex marriage nationwide

Destino

Washington (CNN)In a landmark opinion, a divided Supreme Court ruled Friday that states cannot ban same-sex marriage, establishing a new civil right and handing gay rights advocates a victory that until very recently would have seemed unthinkable.

In a 5-4 ruling, Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote for the majority with the four liberal justices. Each of the four conservative justices wrote their own dissent.

Nearly 46 years to the day after a riot at New York's Stonewall Inn ushered in the modern gay rights movement, the decision could settle one of the major civil rights fights of this era. The language of Kennedy's opinion spoke eloquently of the most fundamental values of family, love and liberty.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/26/politics/supreme-court-same-sex-marriage-ruling/index.html

This portion of the majority opinion is worth reading:

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

That all people should enjoy the same rights is the essence of the American Dream. Sad that so many Americans and Supreme Court judges still can't see that. Happy for those who fought so long and hard for the right to love and marry.

That all people should enjoy the same rights is the essence of the American Dream. Sad that so many Americans and Supreme Court judges still can't see that. Happy for those who fought so long and hard for the right to love and marry.

Until you view marriage as an institution ordained from above, not below, you will never understand why they feel the way they feel. Its sacredness is why it should not be redefined. (I'm sure somebody will bring up other marital sins, etc... save it).

Truth should not be laid aside in favor of feelings. But, gov't's do what they wish and God is still sovereign. Its not the first time. Won't be the last.

Don't like gay marriage...then don't get gay married!

Because you don't like it does not give you the right to say that others cannot.

I'm so glad that SCOTUS decided this way. I was worried that with the ObamaCare ruling that SCOTUS would be hesitant to change this, but it is awesome that they did.

I'm not sure that I've ever had a moment in my adult life when I saw a decision that made me feel like I live in a country that's just a little more free. State laws, and state constitutional amendments (like the one in my state) were rendered immediately unconstitutional.

BRAVO!!

Until you view marriage as an institution ordained from above, not below, you will never understand why they feel the way they feel. Its sacredness is why it should not be redefined. (I'm sure somebody will bring up other marital sins, etc... save it).

Truth should not be laid aside in favor of feelings. But, gov't's do what they wish and God is still sovereign. Its not the first time. Won't be the last.

Oh, I understand where they come from, but how many of them had sex before marriage? How many of them cheated? Had a divorce? Their world view stems from a hatred of other and not the love of God... unless there's a hierarchy of sins hidden in the Torah and Bible that I don't know about.

Government marriage and Christian marriage aren't the same thing. This is about equality in the eyes of the law and equal respect in our society. I firmly believe that God does not command us to spread discord and resentment in our society. If we must disagree we must do so from a place of love and that starts with respecting the other person's right to disagree with what we have to say. Oppression is not love, and you can not save any souls by attempting to force their obedience because God looks into the heart of each of us and sees the truth that hides there.

You are more than welcome to view marriage as an institution ordained from above and not below.

The government is not allowed to do that.

And don't even talk to me about the view that marriage is sacred when divorce is so rampant inside the church. Not to mention that polygamous marriage has just as much scriptural support as does monogamous marriage.

And don't even talk to me about the view that marriage is sacred when divorce is so rampant inside the church.

Not to derail the thread, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why the divorce rate is higher inside the church than outside...

Syke, I do understand. Bammas rush into marriage so they can have guilt free sex. You know I'm right...

Oh, I understand where they come from, but how many of them had sex before marriage? How many of them cheated? Had a divorce? Their world view stems from a hatred of other and not the love of God... unless there's a hierarchy of sins hidden in the Torah and Bible that I don't know about.

I told you to save it, because I knew you'd go there. So predictable.

Government marriage and Christian marriage aren't the same thing.  This is about equality in the eyes of the law and equal respect in our society.  I firmly believe that God does not command us to spread discord and resentment in our society.  If we must disagree we must do so from a place of love and that starts with respecting the others parties right to disagree with what we have to say.  Oppression is not love, and you can not save any souls by attempting to force their obedience because God looks into the heart of each of us and sees the truth that hides there.

Of course he doesn't want discord in society. I agree with what you say here. This ruling does accord with our Constitution IMO, even if it makes a mockery of the sacred.

Not to derail the thread, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why the divorce rate is higher inside the church than outside...

Syke, I do understand. Bammas rush into marriage so they can have guilt free sex. You know I'm right...

Its not. Divorce is lower inside the church.

And don't even talk to me

No problem. :)

Like I said in the other thread... they get to pick and choose which words of God they want to live by, and which ones they want to ridicule others for not living by.

Most importantly, they get to cast judgements, they get to make proclamations about people going to hell or about who God does and doesn't love. They get to do all of this, despite God telling them not to.

This is one of those days that give me mixed emotions. I'm happy for gay people that felt society was so against them for so long, this doesn't erase the past and I'm sure for some that past still hurts despite today. But it also brings the hatred out of the woodwork, and that makes me sad, because it makes you realize how many people feel that way.

Of course he doesn't want discord in society. I agree with what you say here. This ruling does accord with our Constitution IMO, even if it makes a mockery of the sacred.

It's not making a mockery of love which is pretty darn sacred or at least should be.

Honestly though, I don't know why people are so mad. Wasn't it like only 15 states that opposed it or something like that? Like I said in the other thread, this was going to happening. If not today, it was still going to happen. This changes nothing from my point of view. 

The Affordable Care Act was affirmed by the Supreme Court, voted on in two Presidential elections and then re-challenged and lost again, Republican candidates are still saying they will fight this one out in the next election? How many decades has it been since Roe v Wade? How many times has there been a hearing on Benghazi?

This seems to only affect some as both my parents are Christians and have zero issue with gay marriage or its alleged "mockery" of anything.

This is one of those days that give me mixed emotions. I'm happy for gay people that felt society was so against them for so long, this doesn't erase the past and I'm sure for some that past still hurts despite today. But it also brings the hatred out of the woodwork, and that makes me sad, because it makes you realize how many people feel that way.

Yep. When I heard the news, I knew that I'd read a ton of comments that:

1. Use the "slippery slope" argument (What's next?! People marrying their dogs?) thus comparing homosexuals to animals, and;

2. Equate homosexuality to pedophilia.

And I was right. It's funny how the majority of people who oppose this law are casting hate & judgement. Not a very Christian thing to do.

Archived