Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox: ‘Dementor’ wasp turns ****roaches into zombies

btfoom

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/05/28/dementor-wasp-turns-****roaches-into-zombies/

It’s the stuff of nightmares – a newly-discovered wasp that turns ****roaches into zombies.

The Ampulex Dementor, named after the terrifying soul-suckers from the “Harry Potter” movies, is one of a 139 new species discovered in Asia’s Mekong Delta in 2014, according to a World Widlife Fund report.

The wasp, which was discovered in Thailand, injects venom into a mass of neurons on the ****roach’s belly that turns the roach into a passive zombie, according to the report. “****roach wasp venom blocks receptors of the neurotransmitter octopamine, which is involved in the initiation of spontaneous movement. With this blocked, the ****roach is still capable of movement, but is unable to direct its own body,” the report explained.

It gets worse for the wasp’s unfortunate victim. “Once the ****roach has lost control, the wasp drags its stupefied prey by the antennae to a safe shelter to devour it," the report added. <more at link>

So, this is the beginning of the end - not by some government agency accidentally releasing a plague on mankind, no that would be too easy.  Instead, a breed of Wasps will soon take over the world, one ****-roach at a time.

edit:  LOL @ the filter, not letting the whole term for a 'c-roach' show up.  Makes it even scarier to read.

This has been going on across all species. 

The women, which is discovered by males at puberty, develops breasts that turns the male into a passive zombie, according to the report. “breasts block receptors of the neurotransmitter octopamine, which is involved in the initiation of spontaneous movement. With this blocked, the male is still capable of movement, but is unable to direct its own body,” the report explained.

It gets worse for the females unfortunate victim. “Once the male has lost control, the female drags its stupefied prey by the penis to the mall to remove all the males money," the report added. <more at link>

I remember covering a story for WAMU that was based on a FOX news story.  The FOX report said that a Bethesda Robotics company was designing an autonomous robot for the defense department that would run multi month missions with little or no need from instructions from humans. The kicker was that, according to FOX, this machine was refuel itself by eating human corpses.

I tracked down the scientists involved and they were glad and a little nervous to talk to me given all the bad press and attention they were getting. It turns out that their machine, called the EATR (energetically autonomous tactical robot) was indeed designed to be intelligent, go on multi month missions, and refuel itself.  FOX got what the EATR eats wrong.  Effectively, this machine had a lawnmower in front and would chop up wood and grass, burn it, convert that to steam and the steam to electricity. The scientists called its fuel "bio mass." How the FOX reporters jumped from bio mass to human corpses I'm not sure, but they did.  I pursued their question asking what this intelligent robot would do if there was no grass or wood around, its solar collector was insufficient, and there was a tasty little village off to the left. Would this machine choose life as so many other horror movie constructs?

I was told "no."  The EATR's intelligence could not interpret humans as a fuel source.  Still, if you ever see an EATR rolling down your neighborhood block... you may just want to move to the other side of the road.

Archived