Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussin on open carry advocates

mistertim

So I've seen a bunch of youtube videos, etc where people are open carrying AR15s and such and confronting police officers, etc. So I'm curious where you all stand on this whole thing. Personally, I think it is mostly attention gathering and messing with cops just for the hell of it. As a gun owner myself, I really don't care if they own guns but the whole "lol I'm going to mess with the cops on tape and upload it to youtube" thing is pretty irritating to me and does nothing of importance.

What do you all think?

I think it's asinine and dangerous.

I think the confronting of cops and generally brandishing is exactly the behavior that should be discouraged by actual open carry advocates.

All it does is make people much more wary and afraid of responsible gun owners and/ or open carriers.

Open carry to me means a sidearm in a holster, not a friggin' rifle held at military ready.

~Bang

I agree as well as it's getting really annoying.  It's a slap in the face as well to the people who actually open carry a pistol.  They either do it to mess with cops and talk about how the rights are being infringed, or try to show people that the tools aren't what kills people.  Most intelligent humans can comprehend that guns don't magically decide to shoot people, why try to make a dangerous point.

Local Kroger ad where the question was asked, "Which of these is not allowed in Kroger?" 

There were two photos, one of an overweight older guy in a "wife-beater" shirt, and one of a 30-something female with a long gun.

Correct answer?  Dude looking a little unkempt is NOT allowed in Kroger.  Female with an AR-15 can roam the aisles as she pleases.

As a responsible gun owner, I'm more than just a little disturbed.

I saw one youtube video where a guy was arguing with police about whether or not he could open carry an AR on school grounds. Seriously? How can you not see an issue with that? Of course he went off on calling them Nazis, etc (immediately losing the debate) but the cops were very professional and handled it well. I'd post it but its very NSFW for language.

Nothing says "I'm an asshole" like open carry.  There's zero reason to do so.  Let me guess, you're a patriot?  :rolleyes:  Great, you're walking around carrying assault rifles with little kids right near you.  You're really showing "the man!"  Hey, crazy people.  it's been 6 years....has Obama taken your guys yet? 

I've had a CCW for about 13 years now and have a pistol on me everywhere I go, never would I open carry and make people around me nervous. 

I'm curious to hear twa's comments on this. Not being snarky at all, but since he lives in Texas and Open Carry Texas is one of the biggest advocates of this type of carry I'm wondering what his opinions are.

Nothing says "I'm an asshole" like open carry.  There's zero reason to do so.  Let me guess, you're a patriot?  :rolleyes:  Great, you're walking around carrying assault rifles with little kids right near you.  You're really showing "the man!"  Hey, crazy people.  it's been 6 years....has Obama taken your guys yet? 

I've had a CCW for about 13 years now and have a pistol on me everywhere I go, never would I open carry and make people around me nervous. 

Yeah I see it as mostly common courtesy. I have a CCW and open carrying to me would seem not only pointless but downright rude because you KNOW people will be disconcerted.

Fear is what drives it,,,  fear of the government, inflamed by 'leaders' of organizations meant to protect rights..    fear of the other guy,, inflamed by the same group.. 

The AR-15 toting jackass just wants people to fear him, no matter how many ways he tries to justify it.

~Bang

When I was home in West Virginia last summer, I went to McDonalds one morning. It was like Tombstone in there. Every other person seemed to be carrying a pistol - in a town with one police car. I don't get the level of fear involved.

I don't think any of them were scared. Or were u talking about u?

When I was home in West Virginia last summer, I went to McDonalds one morning. It was like Tombstone in there. Every other person seemed to be carrying a pistol - in a town with one police car. I don't get the level of fear involved.

Maybe that's why they only need 1 police car...lol

Like Bang said, fear drives it. And need for control and power. IMO it has essentially zero to do with actually 2nd amendment rights.

I think guys carrying pistols in an area that lkb was in probably has more to do with culture than fear.

This is not assault rifles and heckling police

I think guys carrying pistols in an area that lkb was in probably has more to do with culture than fear.

Open carrying a pistol really does nothing for you other than make you a target. Like I said I have a CCW and to me open carrying would essentially be saying "hello, please shoot me first" to any would be attackers.

Except it's a completely new culture to me. We weren't one of those high schools that shut down for the first week of hunting season when I was growing up. It wasn't a gun crazy place until recently.

Open carrying a pistol really does nothing for you other than make you a target. Like I said I have a CCW and to me open carrying would essentially be saying "hello, please shoot me first" to any would be attackers.

I am not a gun owner. But the most vociferous pro gun guys I know, the ones who have concealed permits and are always armed, all say exactly the same. That open carry is stupid because it makes you a target

Except it's a completely new culture to me. We weren't one of those high schools that shut down for the first week of hunting season when I was growing up. It wasn't a gun crazy place until recently.

I would bet a dollar that there are a great many of people who open carry because they are afraid of losing their right, so it's like wearing a t-shirt with a slogan on it.

And that is born of fear, whether they feel afraid or not.

the entire idea the government is coming for your guns is a fairy tale, a scary story that Wayne LaPierre keeps screaming to these people to get them to ring the cash registers.

Every single national NRA convention these days is marked by his lunatic harangues against the government, and of course, all he wants is for the gun manufacturers to make money. He isn't really concerned for your rights, and especially not your safety. He knows everything he says is a lie. Fear is great for business.  

25 years ago that same McDonalds was probably firearm free all day unless the local cop came in for lunch.

As LKB says, this over-the-top gun craziness is relatively new, and the rights of gun owners have hardly changed at all... and even though i don't have the info handy, i'd bet another dollar that rights have actually been expanded in that time as opposed to what the NRA keeps telling everyone.

~Bang

Fear is what drives it,,,  fear of the government, inflamed by 'leaders' of organizations meant to protect rights..    fear of the other guy,, 

What about the biggest actual risk ... fear of some other untrained clown accidentally shooting someone nearby?

What high school?

And Tim, I'm not a gun owner. Don't care that much for them, so yes, carrying a pistol openly is weird to me too. But that doesn't always mean what you guys are saying it does. It's just different, so people think they need to come up with their own theories.

What high school?Next Unread Topic →

And Tim, I'm not a gun owner. Don't care that much for them, so yes, carrying a pistol openly is weird to me too. But that doesn't always mean what you guys are saying it does. It's just different, so people think they need to come up with their own theories.

Fair enough. But not all theories are right. I haven't heard any truly convincing arguments about open carrying other than "because I can". I can certainly see it if you're our hunting, etc. But that's about it.

I would bet a dollar that there are a

25 years ago that same McDonalds was probably firearm free all day unless the local cop came in for lunch.

ang

You're making a huge assumption there. I bet there were plenty of shot guns in truck cabs and trunks. Maybe they couldn't carry openly then? I don't know

What do y'all think of "campus carry"?

It makes it illegal for universities to ban concealed handguns w/ CHL on campus. That seems to be the next big goal in the gun lobby. It is moving in a lot of different states right now. 

Fair enough. But not all theories are right. I haven't heard any truly convincing arguments about open carrying other than "because I can". I can certainly see it if you're our hunting, etc. But that's about it.

Me either. But that doesn't mean people are carrying to fight off the government or because they're scared of a boogie man. It's a different culture, for sure.

Archived