Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: DeSean Jackson watched the Cavs get to the NBA Finals — on the first day of Redskins OTAs (M.E.T.)

aqq

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/05/27/desean-jackson-watched-the-cavs-get-to-the-nba-finals-on-the-first-day-of-redskins-otas/

DeSean is the ONLY Redskins player to miss the OTA's without a legitimate excuse. 90 players and he was the only one who thought it was more important to see a basketball game and go to music release party instead of joining his teammates.

He still doesn't get it. Very talented player but i bet you Scot McCloughan cuts him next year. With that talent we still went 4-12.  The new GM wants players who are part of team and not a player who puts himself above the team and I agree. 

#selfish

Two quotes from the article that stood out to me:

1) "Thanks to the league’s collective bargaining agreement, attendance at OTAs is entirely voluntary, and Jackson had already informed the team that he would join it next week."

/discussion, imo. My beef in the past was players who didn't show up for voluntary OTA's and never contacted the team about it. "We reached out to him but haven't heard back" is never anything you want your head coach saying at a press conference. We had too much of that in the past.

Whatever was discussed between Jackson and Gruden is between Jackson and Gruden.

2) "...one of the major reasons Jackson got cut last year by the Eagles was that Coach Chip Kelly perceived him to be less than a team player."

Actually, we have no ****ing clue why Kelly dropped Jackson. Gang ties, personality conflicts, cap space and "football reasons" were tossed around and speculated on ad nauseum. All we know is that it turned out to be a mistake, whatever the reason was. When the Redskins beat the Eagles late in the season last year, the common refrain among Eagles fans and some of their beat writers was "Desean Jackson kicked the Eagles out of the playoffs"...because you know the Skins don't beat the Eagles without him on the roster, and you know if Jackson was still on the Eagles they would have torched the Redskins.

Perfect screen name to go with the comment. He catches a couple of long passes and he can do whatever he wants. Lets keep celebrating individual performances on this team. That seems to work. 

Thanks to the league’s collective bargaining agreement, attendance at OTAs is entirely voluntary, and Jackson had already informed the team that he would join it next week. 

Thanks to the league’s collective bargaining agreement, attendance at OTAs is entirely voluntary, and Jackson had already informed the team that he would join it next week. 

Yeah, but other than those two small details it's completely inexcusable.  Cut him and change the name of the team and Tampa Bay connection.

And RGIII's fault.

Two quotes from the article taht stood out to me:

1) "Thanks to the league’s collective bargaining agreement, attendance at OTAs is entirely voluntary, and Jackson had already informed the team that he would join it next week."

/discussion, imo. My beef in the past was players who didn't show up for voluntary OTA's and never contacted the team about it. "We reached out to him but haven't heard back" is never anything you want your head coach saying at a press conference. We had too much of that in the past.

Whatever was discussed between Jackson and Gruden is between Jackson and Gruden.

2) "...one of the major reasons Jackson got cut last year by the Eagles was that Coach Chip Kelly perceived him to be less than a team player."

Actually, we have no ****ing clue why Kelly dropped Jackson. Gang ties, personality conflicts and "football reasons" were tossed around and speculated on ad nauseum. All we know is that it turned out to be a mistake, whatever the reason was. When the Redskins beat the Eagles late in the season last year, the common refrain among Eagles fans and some of their beat writers was "Desean Jackson kicked the Eagles out of the playoffs"...because you know the Skins don't beat the Eagles without him on the roster, and you know if Jackson was still on the Eagles they would have torched the Redskins.

So your saying it was worth it to sign Jackson because he may have helped beat the Eagles and kick them out of the playoffs. You know we had 4 wins last year.

Having said that we didn't lose because of Jackson but we didn't win very much with him either. All things being equal I'd rather use his cap space for teammates with talent and a team attitude. I feel in the long run it will pay off.

I'm not saying Jackson is a bad guy nor am I saying he is a bad player. All I'm saying that he still doesn't buy into what a team is and for this Redskins team we need all the leaders we can get. 89 guys showed up or wanted to show up and 1 guy wanted to watch basketball and go to parties and nobody has problem with that. WOW. 

So your saying it was worth it to sign Jackson because he may have helped beat the Eagles and kick them out of the playoffs. You know we had 4 wins last year.

Having said that we didn't lose because of Jackson but we didn't win very much with him either. All things being equal I'd rather use his cap space for teammates with talent and a team attitude. I feel in the long run it will pay off.

I'm not saying Jackson is a bad guy nor am I saying he is a bad player. All I'm saying that he still doesn't buy into what a team is and for this Redskins team we need all the leaders we can get. 89 guys showed up or wanted to show up and 1 guy wanted to watch basketball and go to parties and nobody has problem with that. WOW. 

strawman_kit.jpg

You know whats funny-In almost every press conference Scot McCloughan has he stands up there and explains what he is looking for in football players. He talks about how its a big mans game but how he also wants tough physical (blocking?) players who practice hard and are dedicated to the team. Its almost everything DeSean Jackson isn't. Yet you criticize me. If McCloughan cuts him next year you all will be saying what I said in this thread. Monkey see Monkey do.

You know whats funny-In almost every press conference Scot McCloughan has he stands up there and explains what he is looking for in football players. He talks about how its a big mans game but how he also wants tough physical (blocking?) players who practice hard and are dedicated to the team. Its almost everything DeSean Jackson isn't. Yet you criticize me. When McCloughan cuts him next year you all will be saying what I said in this thread. Monkey see Monkey do.

Scot M is the holy messiah to this forum.  No matter what he does "it's the greatest decision the Redskins FO has ever made."  I get where your coming from.  Philly obviously felt the same way just outright cutting him.  Well see how the team philosophy changes along with DJax, but I also feel he might be more of a fit for a team who doesn't need a "team guy".

You know whats funny-In almost every press conference Scot McCloughan has he stands up there and explains what he is looking for in football players. He talks about how its a big mans game but how he also wants tough physical (blocking?) players who practice hard and are dedicated to the team. Its almost everything DeSean Jackson isn't. Yet you criticize me. When McCloughan cuts him next year you all will be saying what I said in this thread. Monkey see Monkey do.

I already said you use strawman arguments, you didn't need to provde more evidence.

The coach doesn't have a problem with it.  I don't have a problem with it.  I'd prefer it if he was there but hes not.  He performed welll enough last year that his spot on the depth chart isnt in flux the way other players are.  The coaching staff knows what they have in desean Jackson, I think they have plenty of other position battles to focus on.

People keep poking Desean like he's a bees nest hoping he'll lash out.  That's dumb and self depricating.  Figure out what makes them buzz and make the bees work for you against your enemies.  At least we made it to almost one day before someone shot down our culture change though.

You know what's funny? You've broken both Rule 10 with your thread title (which I corrected for you) & then proceeded to break Rule 11. You're the only one breaking Rules here. Monkey see, monkey do indeed. :)

I already said you use strawman arguments, you didn't need to provde more evidence.

I see you cheered that Chester got cut. What evidence do you have that we are better off without him? Or are u using him as a strawman for the whole OL failures? Proofootballfocus.com says he was above average last year. 

At least we made it to almost one day before someone shot down our culture change though.

New record?

I see you cheered that Chester got cut. What evidence do you have that we are better off without him? Or are u using him as a strawman for the whole OL failures? Proofootballfocus.com says he was above average last year. 

The word you're looking for is "scapegoat", not "strawman" lol...and I'm not using Chester in either manner.

Please. :rolleyes:

Jackson contacts the team, tells them he won't be here for this OTA because he has something he wants to do, but will definitely be there the next week. The team was cool with it. End of story, aqq.

Yet, the (Com)Post baits a trap, and you walk right into it.

If the team knows and they are fine with it, I don't have a problem with Jackson going to an NBA playoff game.

It's no big deal.

Jay Gruden On linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, tackle Trent Williams, tight end Jordan Reed and wide receiver DeSean Jackson:

“Ryan [Kerrigan] going to be fine. He just got a scope – clean it out, but he’s going to be ready to roll soon. Trent [Williams] missed his flight out of Houston – it was canceled last night. Jordan Reed is getting checked; he just had a little bit of knee soreness, so we sent him down to get checked for his knee. DeSean is going to miss this week and he’ll be back next week.”

Well at least Jay doesn't have have Over Reaction Panties in a wad. :D

Please. :rolleyes:

Jackson contacts the team, tells them he won't be here for this OTA because he has something he wants to do, but will definitely be there the next week. The team was cool with it. End of story, aqq.

Yet, the (Com)Post baits a trap, and you walk right into it.

If the team knows and they are fine with it, I don't have a problem with Jackson going to an NBA playoff game.

It's no big deal.

Exactly. I would rather DeSean be at OTAs, but if he notified the team, and the team is fine with it, then I am not going to pitch a fit about it. The bottom line is that they are voluntary and apparently the team does not have a problem with it. 

Archived