Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP John Nash

ixcuincle

Nobody wears seat belts on buses or in taxis. It's the damndest thing.

(I think it stems from school buses. There are no seat belts on school buses, because the buses are designed in a way to limit impact of crashes, and the real key is orderly evacuation. No one wants to be trying to get Kindergartners out of seat belts during a vehicle file).

I have vague memories of Professor Nash at Princeton. He was not in his Phantom of Fine Hall days then. (In the 70s and 80s, he used to write bizarre messages on blackboards in the middle of the night). But he was still this odd dude who sort of puttered around campus with seemingly no real purpose. I was there when he won the Nobel Prize. No one in the student body really seemed to know who he was. It was a "Wait a second...THAT guy?!?!?!" kind of thing. (Professors won Nobel Prizes and other major awards fairly regularly there. Everyone knew who Toni Morrison was for example. And the Physics nerds all knew who the Physics winners were, if not the rest of us).

I did read an interview with Nash that said when he went to Princeton from West Virginia, he dropped the "ya'll" from his speech. I never said "ya'll" but I made a conscious decision to switch from "pop" to "soda" in order to sound less like a hick. So, we had something in common.

I did read an interview with Nash that said when he went to Princeton from West Virginia, he dropped the "ya'll" from his speech. I never said "ya'll" but I made a conscious decision to switch from "pop" to "soda" in order to sound less like a hick. So, we had something in common.

I've been in the midwest since I finished high school and I still can't bring myself to say "pop."  What's funny, at least in Chicago-land, is that people consider "pop" to be the urban word, and "soda" is the downstate redneck word.  It's even funnier when you consider that I'm not white, so I really throw people off when I say "soda."

Anyways, back to the original topic-- I know a few people who've struggled with mental health issues and we don't take them seriously enough.  We're just getting to a place where people are starting to see mental health issues as real health issues. Outside of Nash's obvious Nobel-worthy contributions to society, his willingness to share his story was also incredibly important in helping to legitimize mental health issues.

RIP John Nash.

Archived