Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HOGS Redux

PigskinPhat

Pre-draft 2015:

The last College National Championship, where the Ohio State manhandled the Oregon Ducks just proved that for all the read option and fancy-schmancy x's and o's that hit the NFL geniuses, the game has and always will be won or lost in the trenches.

This team needs to get back to what the Redskins was and always have been...an east coast smashmouth football team.

It's an identity. The Skins may not have always fielded the most talented teams, but you bet your @$$ that if you're the opponent and you don't show up, you are gonna et punched in the mouth:

What went down in the Metrodome was one of the great postseason performances of Gibbs’ career, especially if you adjust for the fact that this wasn’t a great team. Washington trailed early, 7-3, but then just took the game over and manhandled the Vikes in the trenches.
The Redskins outgained the Vikings 196-73. Washington controlled the clock for nearly 43 minutes of possession time. “This is surgery without the anesthetic” is how ABC analyst Dan Dierdorf described what they were doing to the Vikings.

So, let's bring back the fuddermuckin HOGS and

Start with this guy!!!
https://www.youtube....h?v=TS9Hq4bdFY0

Then the Skins draft him!!!

If I never hear about the Hogs again that would be just fine with me. It was 20+ years ago, we need to let it go.

Let's just try to build an average offensive line right now and slowly improving to great.

And if they ever do become great, let's not call them the Hogs. Let the new era have their own identity.

I say this when all the Gibbs talk come up too. We need to let go of the past at some point.

If I never hear about the Hogs again that would be just fine with me. It was 20+ years ago, we need to let it go.

Let's just try to build an average offensive line right now and slowly improving to great.

And if they ever do become great, let's not call them the Hogs. Let the new era have their own identity.

I say this when all the Gibbs talk come up too. We need to let go of the past at some point.

Yeah, nothing wrong with remembering the past, but it won't be repeated. 

If we were gonna rebuild the hogs we should have done it by now with late round picks and UDFAs, because that's how the original hogs were built.

Yeah, nothing wrong with remembering the past, but it won't be repeated.

If we were gonna rebuild the hogs we should have done it by now with late round picks and UDFAs, because that's how the original hogs were built.

So Vinny WAS doing it the right way.

First they will have to begin resembling an o-line, then start playing on a high level week after week.

Then, they can begin coming up with a new name, but there's no chance in doing what 'th' hogs' did.

They were a huge o-line in an era of smaller lines, and naturally no one else tried it, but later many teams tried doing the same thing. Gibbs was ahead of the curve, utilizing size to dictate his plans.

Funny thing is, during our 91' Superbowl campaign, the Redskins had the 3rd lightest o-line in the league, so go figure. Its all about the evolution in football; first, big o-lines, then shifty RBs, then huge fast TEs, then spread formations.  Its all about finding that one thing that others haven't thought about, building it, polishing it, and letting it loose.

I agree and disagree with the nickname thing.

Nicknames need to be earned. That's why Joe Bugel branding the new line the "Dirtbags" never stuck. The Hogs belong in a time and place the Purple People Eaters or the Steel Curtain. 

On the other hand, it is natural to compare groups and that should be done, but we are way, way, waaaayyy too premature in imagining that these are the next generation of Hogs.

Would be fantastic if they were though.

For a modern day Hogs to last for a decade, we really would have to catch fire with different and cheap QB's every time we went on a playoff run. QB's take up a huge portion of the cap, add in paying 4 to 5 o-lineman premier money and there'd be nothing left cap wise for the rest of the offense.

If we have a franchise QB and pay him as such, the o-line will have to get a bit lucky with cheap guys on rookie contracts panning out. Otherwise there won't be anyone for the QB to throw to.

I agree, I wonder if vikings fans still want to call their d the purple people eaters with the added talent, or if st louis fans think foles is the second coming of the greatest show on turf. I wish our team had any sort of identity, doesn't have to be a great o line, we just need one or two aspects of our team that opposing teams fear.

If you want to succeed in life? Forget what happened yesterday. If you failed or had great success, it does not matter. The only thing that matters is what are you going to do today? What you are going to do in the future.

This is the problem of many people in life, in business and also in sports. Resting on their laurels or getting comfortable with partial acheivements. Yesterday is not returning. Today is here and tomorrow is coming up fast.

Be prepared for it.

this...

perhaps a more constructive exercise is to have preliminary discussions on what we might call the new crop.......should they perform up to expections.

alas...we do not even know the starting lineup, so any ideas elude me at this juncture.

carry on.

I think the 'Hogs' moniker is being tossed around in a mostly reverent tone. Our guys want to develop into a unit that gets that kind of respect, naturally. The O line can be built up over the next couple of seasons to resemble what we as fans associate with that Hog mentality. Big. Tough. Smart. Hardworking. Lunch pail. Together off the field more than they were on it.

So Vinny WAS doing it the right way.

ban.gif   BAN HIM!   :lol: 

I wonder what everyone's reaction would be if we rebuilt the smurfs.

If they can't all do the "high five" in the end zone like the Smurfs did, then why bother?  Those were great days. Unfortunately, the NFL has almost destroyed itself with neutering and pandering rules.

I dunno... I will always consider our OL the Hogs...now whither they play like our old lines is a different story..It seems to me that much of "Football America" always talks, knows and admires our Hogs tradition.. they seem to perpetuate the name as much as we do... let's face it , its the only nickname of this type, I can think of off hand, that has spawned it's own sub (?) nick name.. the Hoggettes..who everyone knows of and always gets some camera time/love...In a way the Hogs nickname has transcended the likes of purple people eaters, steel curtain... the killer B's... etc.. it is in the realm of the Monsters of the Midway-esque nicknames..e.g. the Bronx Bombers..

If you want to succeed in life? Forget what happened yesterday. If you failed or had great success, it does not matter. The only thing that matters is what are you going to do today? What you are going to do in the future.

Mind you, the flip side to this argument (and equally true if not moreso) is the old line about those who ignore history being doomed to repeat it.

It is good to study successes as well as failures and learning from both.

If they can't all do the "high five" in the end zone like the Smurfs did, then why bother?  Those were great days. Unfortunately, the NFL has almost destroyed itself with neutering and pandering rules.

Ahem... that was the Fun Bunch.  It included the Smurfs, but also Doc and others.

This is the problem of many people in life, in business and also in sports. Resting on their laurels or getting comfortable with partial acheivements. Yesterday is not returning. Today is here and tomorrow is coming up fast.

Be prepared for it.

Well said Beast!

Archived