Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5 Takeaways: Gruden's #SkinsDraft Presser

At the end of the day, I give this draft a D-being as generous as I can....what started out with high hopes soon faded to dismal results....the team has ONE new impact player....the rest, clearly nothing to write home about. I wish our team would stop drafting players who never played the role they are expected to play for us...it never works outs trying to change a DE/T to a OLB...Kerrigan is the most recent of those failed experiments...Kerrigan is 1/3 of and OLB..he can rush the passer...is terrible in coverage and mediocre against the run but we go right back to that failed idea and do the same thing this year.....bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. Especially with this draft class.

Foster - Kerrigan is okay in coverage and does just fine setting an edge when defending the run, and he's an excellent pass rusher. Orakpo did better in coverage than rushing the passer, and he was also a DE converted to OLB. Even if you don't like Smith - and I'm very much on the fence about him, and disappointed we didn't take Gregory instead - we have two impact players in the first three rounds alone: Scherff and Jones.

I have to disagree, we have one impact player, Jones didn't do much during his career and again, why waste a draft pick in an area where we have a decent running back...there are simply to many other more urgent needs on this roster. Jones is a big back but big doesn't mean good, it means big. I would have much rather drafted a C/G but again this is what you get when you follow a philosophy of BAP....we ignore areas that need attention and acquire a player who doesn't fill a need. The interior of the OL allowed DL to simply rush right up the gut...the shortest distance to any QB...and we did absolutely nothing to address that glaring weakness and that's what you can expect to see this season. Terrible, wasted opportunity to really make an impact and get the OL in order. Those late round choices are just cannon fodder...and will not help when we start the season.

Qne one more thing..look Kerrigan is a one dimensional player..yes he can get to the QB....but last year was really the first year he had much more than average success at that...as far as covering, totally inadequate and he has been that way his entire career. Against the run...average at the very best...but really barely average. When we got him, there was all this talk about now teams we play cant just focus on Orakpo the other OLB....and when all was said and done, it didn't matter much at all. Neither helped each other become more effective. It just never worked. I would move Robinson to the OLB position where his speed would be a factor which it is not inside...that's wasting his talent. I would have then moved Murphy inside where his lack of speed would not be a negative and his long arms could create problems for any QB trying to find a passing lane. If we needed to draft a OLB then DRAFT AN OLB not a DE/T who has never had to cover, who was a down lineman....why do we do this time and time again. It has never really worked...taking a player who plays his entire college career as a DE and never really demonstrated the speed or quickness to be affective. He is big...but again, take a player, tell him now has to forget everything he has been taught and basically start all over again...with no real expectation he can be successful..it didn't work for Orakpo, didn't really work for Kerrigan...so its a wasted pick when we had other pressing needs.

Bleacher Report gives WAS C- for the D and posts, "McCloughan may look back on this draft and be glad he got these players, but his draft-day acumen didn't impress right out of the gate." I think that is giving him more credit than he is due...they say, "Smith is kind of an odd fit at No. 38; he projects as Brian Orakpo's replacement at outside linebacker but played defensive end in college. Sometimes we presume the edge-rusher label means all of these players can excel equally standing up or in line, and it just isn't so." And I totally agree...don't understand if we need an OLB why not draft an OLB....

Kerrigan does well on the strong-side OLB. @Foster, not getting your comments on him.

This draft is different in that it appears they are drafting players that are both large and can be around for 4 or more years. That makes it difficult to rate, I would say anywhere from an "A" to a "D" is fair at this point, however; we will have to wait 4 years to accurately value it. You can, however; safely go with an F on recent Redskins drafts.

@foster  - Interesting you found just about the only draft review that was poor: Here is a better and more representative sample size of grades from across the pantheon. http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/5/3/8539053/2015-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-jr-gives-the-washington-redskins-the

Most grades are some kind of B or above. Many that haqd lower scores cited the Scherff pick as the reason - They all said it was a reach - I say BS but that's just my opinion. No one knows for sure how it's going to turn out. But this was a meat and potatoes draft. 

After reading all the critiques and the more specific player information about all the players drafted, my grade is a solid B.  Here are my thoughts pick by pick understanding the higher the pick the more value it has (meaning a B for a 2nd rd pick carries more weight than a B for a 6th rd pick). .

Round 1(#5) Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa - A - This was a huge need. I don't but the "reach" garbage. He was gone at 9 to the Giants and not they still took a G. Also, if anyone can make him a RT Bill Callahan can. I am relying on his coaching abilities or this might be a B.

Round 2(#38) Preston Smith, OLB, Mississippi State - B-  - I like his athleticism. He is much quicker than his film shows. Just look at his combine numbers. He literally played all over the field. He brings a bit of nasty to the line. But he was primarily a DE. Although all the experts see him easily making the transition to OLB, until he does it, the grade is B-.

Round 3(#95) Matt Jones, RB, Florida - C+ - I liked this pick a bit better than most. But still I don't like it in the 3rd rd. We may be singing a different tune if AM goes down but until that happens....  Up side is he is huge and the best pass blocker in the draft. That's something we have sorely missed.

Round 4(#105) Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke - B+ (could be an A-) - This guy will make the team. He will eventually either replace Roberts or light a fire under his butt. He remionds me of guys like Wes Welker and Stave Largent. Not real big, fast but not lightening fast. All they do is get open and catch balls. I like his RAC too. Aggressive but not reckless.

Round 4(#112 Seattle Trade) Arie Kouandjio, OG, Alabama - B - If he stays healthy this could one of our best picks of the draft. Admittedly there are some health concerns but they are not nearly as bad as some have made them out to be. He has the skills to start. Can he realize them? Not sure. He is B, but if he stays healthy we could look back on this one and make it an A.

Round 5(#141) Martrell Spaight, OLB, Arkansas - C- - He is going to struggle making the team unless he a STs beast. Let's see.

Round 6(#181 Seattle Trade) Kyshoen Jarrett, SS, Virginia Tech - C+ - This is a STs pick. He might push for starting time in a few years, but he was picked for STs I believe. He is a big hitter and has a nose fro the ball and the runner. Very tenacious.

Round 6(#182) Tevin Mitchel, CB, Arkansas - D-  - Fills a need but not sure he is really the guy. He has some skills but is small. Doesn't fit our theme of big strong mean guys.

Round 6(#187 New Orleans Trade) Evan Spencer, WR, Ohio State - F - Why another WR? Has no real discernible skills that we need accept maybe blocking. Nothing special even for STs. Also, this guy could have been had as a UDFA.

Round 7(#222) Austin Reiter, C, South Florida - B - This is sneaky good pick. WE need a C. He could have gone sooner. These late rounder's and really hard to judge. But he has huge upside.

goskins.....and I can find you reviews that are worse....hog heaven, please. Don't you think that's a bit prejudiced....they are homers over there. I have not seen a single review for an A.....I think that's meritless. I wasn't really looking for a review but came across it on CNN where I was checking a different story so I was not trying to find a poor review, just happened to come by it....and it matched my views. I am sure you found one that matched your views. We go ONE impact player and even at they, they intend to use him as RT where he will be wasted. The Scherff pick gets low marks because he was not rated as a top five but the Giants wanted him and if we did not take him there a five the Giants would have taken him so that's how that happened. You only accept the reviews that match your views and that's fine. When we made our first pick I posted how finally the team had turned the corner and then the ensuing selection where completely off the mark...more like a milk and cookie draft. But as you say, we have to wait four years to see how this draft worked..I mean they have given Griffin four years and he has been one of the worst QBs in the NFL the last two years...I am not so sanguine as you..as for your thoughts on the draft...I don't really agree with any of your views...it just appears you are trying to force a square peg in a round hole....I think this is one of the worst drafts I have seen in a long time...as bad as any drafts Allen ran....I just could not be more disappointed. Just another bad draft.

I guess you didn't bother to open the link. There are about10 different reviews from all over, easily the most respected reviews in football. Hogs Haven just assembled them. And yes there were several A- grades including normally Redskins hating Mel Kiper. May want to actually open the link before deciding what it is. 

I gave the draft a B on face value. Thats about as fair as it gets. But then again I liked the Scherff pick. I was asking for them to pick him weeks ago. I also have posted as many places as can that we could not trade down to get Scherff as NY was definitely taking him. I heard today that the Jets were taking whoever we didn't take out of Williams and Scherff. 

You have your opinion which you are entitled to. But it is clearly in the very small minority. Does't make it wrong, but does make it less likely you are right. Just showing the other side of the argument. 

You guys need to wait 3 or 4 years to give this draft a hands up or down rating.

The focus was definitely different than in the past when we took glamour over potential success, and that is the problem in rating the draft selections - potential and size mean nothing until they show they can do it and that is not going to happen, or not, in a big way for 2 or 3 years at a minimum.

You guys need to wait 3 or 4 years to give this draft a hands up or down rating.

The focus was definitely different than in the past when we took glamour over potential success, and that is the problem in rating the draft selections - potential and size mean nothing until they show they can do it and that is not going to happen, or not, in a big way for 2 or 3 years at a minimum.

Nothing wrong with assigning it an early grade. I agree it's likely 3 to 5 yrs before we can really tell. But it's just an exercise. You can still have an opinion of what the players might do.

I like to hear all of the opinions, it helps me form my own opinions. You 2 were so far a part I just stepped in with a middle of the road opinion - not meant to be restrictive.

Actually my grade of a B is about in the middle of most of the NFL world. Kiper - A-, McShay A-, many with Bs then a B- and one C from sporting News. It looks like from foster that Bleacher Report had a D.

So again I see mine as pretty middle of the road compared to most of the rest of the world. foster just has a very negative view of the entire thing. It's his right, but he is clearly in the minority. Doesn't make him wrong, just different.   He sated before the draft that anything but G, G, C in the first 3 picks the draft would be a total bust. Not really seeing the logic there.

Hello everyone.

I was more than ecstatic when we drafted Scherff (I guess we were right Goskins10) but then when we drafted that DE/OLB I was pretty disappointed. We should've used our 2nd on another O-linenmen IMO. Then when we drafted that RB & I was like 'WTF are we doing?' After the 4th I just didn't give a $hit any more.

You can grade this draft any way you want but for me "grades" mean fack all. They're just a way of making you feel good or bad. I'll judge this draft by how much these rookies help the cause NOW not in 3 or 4 years. In 3 or 4 years we'll already know one way or another.

HTTR!!! 

goskins.....and I can find you reviews that are worse....hog heaven, please. Don't you think that's a bit prejudiced....they are homers over there. I have not seen a single review for an A.....I think that's meritless. I wasn't really looking for a review but came across it on CNN where I was checking a different story so I was not trying to find a poor review, just happened to come by it....and it matched my views. I am sure you found one that matched your views. We go ONE impact player and even at they, they intend to use him as RT where he will be wasted. The Scherff pick gets low marks because he was not rated as a top five but the Giants wanted him and if we did not take him there a five the Giants would have taken him so that's how that happened. You only accept the reviews that match your views and that's fine. When we made our first pick I posted how finally the team had turned the corner and then the ensuing selection where completely off the mark...more like a milk and cookie draft. But as you say, we have to wait four years to see how this draft worked..I mean they have given Griffin four years and he has been one of the worst QBs in the NFL the last two years...I am not so sanguine as you..as for your thoughts on the draft...I don't really agree with any of your views...it just appears you are trying to force a square peg in a round hole....I think this is one of the worst drafts I have seen in a long time...as bad as any drafts Allen ran....I just could not be more disappointed. Just another bad draft.

Please link the worse reviews.  I doubt you are a Redskins fan.  Looking at your profile you can't even spell your favorite players name correctly, of course as Redskins fans we can't spell.

Chipwhich....I have probably been a Redskins fan longer than you have been alive...but that's not the point is it...the point is this has been a disaster as a draft...it all started out well then fell apart. I would ask you this, how many times have drafted a player only to move him to a new position and have it fail? But lets not even ask that. Lets ask if you need an OLB which was not a high priority, WHY NOT draft an OLB? I don't see the logic or reasoning to draft a guy who spent his entire career as a down DL, who has at best average speed, has not had much success at getting the QB and suddenly think he can be effective in an entirely new position. That's a smart move in your considered opinion? Why draft a RB when we have a RB and there was no immediate need to draft one but there was an immediate need for interior OL....that's my point. I object to the idea of taking the BPA when have well defined needs....sure we took a few OL later in the draft but as they say, you get what you pay for...we have a ton of OL that we tool in later rounds and none have really produced. We needed to get at least three starters out of this draft and we one..thats my concern. Look, if you are a team with a strong roster, then of course you can take the BPA but that philosophy doesn't work when your team has holes through out it...and this draft was an example of what you get when implement that idea. The team is little if any improved from this draft...and I for one expected better. You certainly have your views...we simply see to different outcomes.

Chipwhich....I have probably been a Redskins fan longer than you have been alive...but that's not the point is it...the point is this has been a disaster as a draft...it all started out well then fell apart. I would ask you this, how many times have drafted a player only to move him to a new position and have it fail? But lets not even ask that. Lets ask if you need an OLB which was not a high priority, WHY NOT draft an OLB? I don't see the logic or reasoning to draft a guy who spent his entire career as a down DL, who has at best average speed, has not had much success at getting the QB and suddenly think he can be effective in an entirely new position. That's a smart move in your considered opinion? Why draft a RB when we have a RB and there was no immediate need to draft one but there was an immediate need for interior OL....that's my point. I object to the idea of taking the BPA when have well defined needs....sure we took a few OL later in the draft but as they say, you get what you pay for...we have a ton of OL that we tool in later rounds and none have really produced. We needed to get at least three starters out of this draft and we one..thats my concern. Look, if you are a team with a strong roster, then of course you can take the BPA but that philosophy doesn't work when your team has holes through out it...and this draft was an example of what you get when implement that idea. The team is little if any improved from this draft...and I for one expected better. You certainly have your views...we simply see to different outcomes.

The problem with your approach is you are always chasing players to fit a certain need. The BPA approach (which is employed by GB, Balt., Seattle, and several other very good teams) acknowledges that you will need all players eventually.

You say we are set at RB. Are we really? AM is a nice workhorse now but RBs don't last long in this league. Also, this is his contract year. WHatg if we can't resign him? The cornerstone of the Off is gone (assuming they are truthful when they say they want to pound the rock.). Look at dallast (damn, I hate using them as an example.) They continually put all their eggs on one RB basket and they ignored oline. They spent 3 #1 draft picks on Oline and get several RBs. But the Oline line came over 3 yrs, not all in 1, 2, 3 fashion. Many thing they are sunk without Murray, but honestly they have a few little young studs behind him and with that line they will be fine.

Also, you are assuming there is no one on the team already that can fill the oline positions, not to mention our 4th round picks "injury" problems have been pretty much exaggerated. Yes he has some minor surgeries but he has also started every game including thye bowls the last two years. He has not missed a single game. Moses was coming along until he got injured and Long should provide some competition at G this year. Callahan is the best oline coach in the NFL. Not just because of dallast. He did the same at philly and Oakland.

Any way, back to BPA. That is how the good team get good and stay good in the FA and CAP era. You keep stocking your team with good players. The drafting for need like we have been doing by and large just keeps you in a bad loop and chasing your tail. Might want to give this a little more than a few weeks to decide it's all done. They have not even lined up for OTAs.

As I have posted. the teams you mention GB etc, all have very stable rosters and have the luxury of taking the BPA, WAS is no where near any of those teams roster wise...I think you know that so lets not pretend we are SEAT, at least not for the next four or five years. I didn't say we were set at RB only that it WAS NOT A PRIORITY...we would have been better served to have gotten a C or G so that our RB can run inside and pound it in at the goal line. We didn't need to draft a RB but we did need a C or G. As for our OL none have demonstrated they can be smash mouth player..Moses...wasted pick, at this point why not move him inside. We don't have any depth along the OL...so no we need to bring in new players. And back to the BPA you are right that's HOW GOOD TEAMS stay good but WAS is not a good team, it has a weak roster, lacks quality depth and we don't even have a starting QB...so yes that's how good teams stay good but that's not how bad teams get good

As I have posted. the teams you mention GB etc, all have very stable rosters and have the luxury of taking the BPA, WAS is no where near any of those teams roster wise...I think you know that so lets not pretend we are SEAT, at least not for the next four or five years. I didn't say we were set at RB only that it WAS NOT A PRIORITY...we would have been better served to have gotten a C or G so that our RB can run inside and pound it in at the goal line. We didn't need to draft a RB but we did need a C or G. As for our OL none have demonstrated they can be smash mouth player..Moses...wasted pick, at this point why not move him inside. We don't have any depth along the OL...so no we need to bring in new players. And back to the BPA you are right that's HOW GOOD TEAMS stay good but WAS is not a good team, it has a weak roster, lacks quality depth and we don't even have a starting QB...so yes that's how good teams stay good but that's not how bad teams get good

It's also how bad teams get good. Seattle was the dregs,  had been for years and SF was a perennial losing team after the Steve Young days until Scot helped them both get very good with the BPA. He was not GM for both but was very instrumental in their development.

I stated when the Redskins hired Scot M that if you were looking for a quick fix you are setting yourself up for disappointment, GB, Seattle, SF, Balt. all were not very good until they started employing BPA. Go back and look. Drafting for need in the FA/CAP era is how you stay bad. Look at us, look at Clev, Jacksonville, Oakland until last year.

But it takes time. Two more drafts maybe 3 and it will start to come together, maybe a little sooner if Robert gets his act together. The goal is to keep adding good players, players that fit your mold.

I just simply disagree with your views about BPA...its not a plan. My grandmother could make those picks and Allen could make those picks...that's not what I expect from a GM. Why even have scouts? And again you fail to address my point about the OL...its as if the need simply doesn't exist to you and our so called GM? Yes indeed it will take many years to get this roster right and when we are nearly there then BPA is fine but NOT now....This guy is no Bobby Beathard..not by a long shot. And he did literally NOTHING to make the roster better in this draft. You have your views, I have mind we are never going to agree. This roster is going to struggle to have a better record than we had last season...and I suppose you are all in for drafting another DE that we are going to try and convert to an OLB...again I ask you, if you wanted an OLB, why draft a DE who has no experience playing that position...its ridiculous the kind of move Vinney would make...this guy has NO speed, has never covered and is best suited to play DE not OLB...its the same old BS every year. Anyway, I am totally and completely disappointed with what this guy did in the draft...just a miserable outcome.

I did address the Oline, more than once. But I will lay it out again:

1. Brandon Scherff was a huge add. Unlike you I am OK with him playing where Bill Callahan thinks he should play, if that's RT, then great.

2. Bill Callahan deserves time to develop some of the guys on our roster. And it appears the FO agrees. BC is the best Oline coach in the NFL. Again, not just because of dallast but Oakland and then philly before that. He even took Oakland to the SB! Pretty good coach if you ask me. I look to see him develop Long and Moses into starters.

3. I believe our 4th rd pick will develop in the NFL and provide depth at G at least if not push for starting time. I know he had minor surgeries on his knees. But he started every single game for Alabama the last 2 season!! He never missed a single game. Dude is an absolute beast. He will need to be coached up btu as bad as our Gs were last year, he could start early in the season if not day 1. 

4.  Also do not sleep on out 7th rd pick. He will need a few years to develop but I expect him on the POS this year and push for the 53 next.

5. Many in the FO and the pundits like Larson at C. I honestly do not know much about him.

That gives us TW and Scherff at the Ts with Compton and Moses as depth. Long and Moses starting at G with Larsen and Kouandjio providing depth. KL at C with Larsen providing depth. Xavior Nixon will probably also make the team. Reiter makes the PS.

That is not a complete Oline yet, but it is as a huge step in the right direction. We still need a C. But of the  middle of line he was least weak (will not call him the strongest, just least offensive - all puns intended).

As for drafting Smith for OLB, I wrote a few comments back that I have my concerns about the transition. I downgraded the pick for that reason However I believe his signing also means we will play a lot of different looks. We were in a 4-3 most passing downs last year the year before any way. We just didn't have the right horses.

It should be noted that once Murphy came in to replace Orakpo last year, Rk averaged a sack a gm. If you take out the Jacksonville gm that skews the numbers, he had I believe 3 sacks with Rak in the line-up. He will benefit from either Murphy or Smith being in the line-up.  

One more specific about the draft -  I said it before and I will say it again, Crowder will make this team and contribute. He is sneaky quick, has great hands, is a very tenacious runner, and has no fear, something we could sorely use as PR/KR. But more than STs I see him getting into the Offense before the end of the season. 

And while I have my concerns SMith brings some thingssome of the other palyers do not - he has really long arms and is getting them up if he doesn't get home. ALso, he is faster than his film showed.

As I said you have an overally optimist view of this draft class and the OL players we have on this roster. I love Callahan...but he has to have something to work with and the glass is nearly empty. We have drafted players in the later round and few if any have played out..you get what you pay for and there were reasons why those guys were available in the later rounds..say 4 down. They are all basically a roll of the dice and you cant bet on any of them paying out...the guys listed have not done squat...Compton, Moses please...neither would be considered even close to being back up material...the OL is thin at best with the starters and thinner at best in the backups. Again, you get what you pay for and all the guys you mention, especially Compton and Moses cant even get on the field against the weak starters we have...the ONLY reason Compton got a chance was because the cupboard was basically bare. Again I would not bet on any of the guys you mention even making the tearm let alone contributing. We are not going to get anywhere hear on this discussion. You seem to have rose colored glass's on and nothing I say is going to change that...Scherff was on the ONLY guy we got who can start and with 10 draft picks that's a sorry out come. I would not go so far as to say BC is the best OL coach in the league but I do like him. He had three number one draft picks to work with there and that went a long way to creating his success...we have one. You cant expect him to make a silk purse with pigs ears. Sorry there is nothing on this group of OL that barely registers to me and if you are being honest, you know I am right. But you have your views all basically hanging on hope and I have my views which are really based on reality....or the glass is not half full its basically empty. Time will tell which of us is right....I am not holding my breathe that you are the one who is right though.

As I said you have an overally optimist view of this draft class and the OL players we have on this roster. I love Callahan...but he has to have something to work with and the glass is nearly empty. We have drafted players in the later round and few if any have played out..you get what you pay for and there were reasons why those guys were available in the later rounds..say 4 down. They are all basically a roll of the dice and you cant bet on any of them paying out...the guys listed have not done squat...Compton, Moses please...neither would be considered even close to being back up material...the OL is thin at best with the starters and thinner at best in the backups.

Edit per the rules.

So because I disagree with you I am looking through rose colored glasses and I living on just hope while you are the one based in reality. Your negative view of things is no more accurate at this time than my optimism is. Yes, I tend to look at the positive side of things. But I also look at a bigger picture where you tend to find a qualifier or negative item and stick with it.  But fair enough. To eachg their own.

Just for argument sake, here a perfect example. I have said three times that Bill Callahan built his reputation rebuilding the Philly Oline before moving to Oakland and building their Oline. He did not get 3 1st round draft picks at those places yet he built very good lines. In Oakland he was promoted to HC and took them to a SB. But as all good coaches do in Oakland, management decided to dump him.

So his success is not just at dallast and 3 1st rounder's. But you continue to gloss over that and act like it never happened. Moses was injured. That's why Compton got the nod. Moses was winning the job and playing well. But then he got injured. He needs playing time. This offseason will be good for him, as will have Callahan working with him.

I don't believe the line will be fixed this year. I think it will take another draft, maybe 2. But that does not mean the draft was a "bust". Your criticism of Scot M seems like a personal thing. Everyone in the NFL seems to think he one of the best and brightest.

As far as SM goes, I think it was a terrible mistake to bring him on board for obvious reasons which I don't need to repeat...as for Callahan, yes he did some good work at OAK but again he got fired. In the NFL its not what you did in the past, its what have you done for me lately which is why I focused on DAL...and let me add this, I would not have a problem if he got elevated to HC when Gruden falls on his face again, and I would add I was all for hiring Gruden when he got here but I have soured on him and just don't have any confidence he has a clue what he is doing...which takes me to this...we have a HC and GM of which neither impress me...Gruden has earned my disdain and SM tired as hard as he could destroy his career and got very lucky the Redskins took him on board because no other team in the NFL would touch him with a ten foot pole. So I think the team is in worse shape from coaching to management that I have seen in a long time. But that's nothing new for this organization. As for the OL, as I said, theres not a lot of talent to work with there and Callahan can not get on the field and play all five OL positions and what he has to work with is clearly not top drawer...the interior of the OL is going to hurt us again this and that secondary, is going to get burned time and again..and especially the S's...teams will simply go over the top on us....so, I think its going to be a very long season again but finally it will be the end of Griffin and Gruden and that's about the best news our team can hold onto heading into 2016...that's when the rebuilding will start.

Archived