Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2015 OL - Predictions, Implications, and Potential Condemnations

Riggo-toni

The only certainty is as usual that Trent Williams has the LT position locked up. Scherff is being touted as the new RT, but nearly all analysts had him projected to move inside. Opinions on Lichtensteiger seem mixed - I've read some claiming that he's often failed to properly call out assignments to the rest of the line, while others feel he has been a solid if not spectacular center. Can a 7th round rookie beat him out? Doubtful, bit stranger things have happened. Gruden may be a bit pass happy, whereas it looks like Scott M is gearing up for ground and pound. Scherff and Trent on the left side might be the toughest combo since Tre Johnson and Jansen smashed the right side in 99. Given the camel excrement we've been employing at RT, that scenario may not happen until 2016. One thing I feel the irrepressible need to scream out: Barring injuries, if neither Long nor Moses crack the starting lineup, all the leftovers from Scott Campbell on down need to be fired. Year after year these guys have excused FO failures, perhaps at times justifiably, by insisting that their judgments were overruled. Unlike WRs or QBs, OL don't take years to develop. Long was injured and Moses was recognized as a project, but they both have a year now under their belts. If they can't beat out the likes of an aging overpriced Chester or the stopgap Compton (if Scherff slides inside), or for that matter if they get beaten out by our low round rookies, it should be the final indication our previous personnel regime was as worthless as advertised and must be purged.

Offensive Line is going to be a joy to watch this summer....

I think Trent and Licht are probably locked in. Beyond that...?

I think Scherff isn't a 100% lock for RT. If Compton or Moses shows well, I still think there's a chance Scherff ends up at Guard. Not highly likely, but something like 80/20.

Basically, a lot of this is going to hinge on how Compton and/or Moses look I think. If one of them shows up and looks like al legitimate RT, on par with Scherff, then I think suddenly things get interesting as we consider Scherff inside.

If Scherff is clearly our best RT, then I'm curious what happens with Guard. Do we keep 4? Is Chester someone we can actually keep as a "backup" role? Or do we dump him and somehow Ribs lasts yet another year?

Really going to be a lot of fun to watch that unit this pre-season.

I know Silverback (TW) and Litch are locked in.

I think Compton is out of a job this year. Moses and Scherff will have an open competition for RT. Moses did well enough last year to convince me that he can beat Scherff. Scherff then moves to LG to get help from TW.

The only spot left is RG. This will be open to any guard on the roster. Ribs and Chester will fail, then it will be down to Long and Kouadjio. I will not predict who will win out of these two because I haven't seen enough on either of them to decide.

Ideal situation IMHO:

TW

Scherff

Litch

Long/Kouadjio

Moses

I don't think there's a snow ball's chance in hell that either Compton or Moses is better than Scherff.  Compton will probably make the team as the swing tackle.  I thought Moses played poorly on the right side before his injury.  Given the timetable for recovery from that type of injury the Skins may be better off with him on IR.  He can work on his strength and then practice next offseason.  I doubt the GM is going to waste higher starter money on Chester as a backup.  We don't expect to win this season so it would be better to give the backup reps to a young player.  Anyone that makes the team as a backup really needs to have some flexibility in position.  G/C or T/G.  Or at least both LG and RG.  We'll see.  The rookie G was drafted high enough that he needs to make the roster.  The rookie C can be stashed on the practice squad.  I'm hoping Long is a keeper.  I expect LeRibeus was a wasted pick. 

I say move Moses to Guard. Since he plays better on the left, put him beside Trent. Thats a LOT of beef on that side.

Trent Williams - LT

Morgan Moses - LG

Cory Lichtensteiger - C

Arie Kouandjio - RG

Brandon Sherff - RT

Could even consider Spencer Long at C but i dont see Lichtenstieger losing his job.

I doubt Scherff ends up at guard. He'll have to prove it at RT, but he seems like the kind of guy who will do that. So I think our tackles are set. Watching some video of Scherff, I can easily imagine him holding down that RT spot for a decade or so, maybe comparable to Jansen.

I think everybody else is going to have to earn it. We have a lot of guys competing for those three remaining spots. Most likely the only week 1 change will be at RT, but it will be interesting to watch. This is how you get better.

One thing that worries me is an offensive line really needs to work as a unit. When you make a lot of changes, it can take time for everybody to get on the same page.

Ideal situation IMHO:

TW

Scherff

Litch

Long/Kouadjio

Moses

Close... but switch:

Trent

Long

Lich

Scherff

Moses

That would be ideal.  We're on the same page though ;)

I say move Moses to Guard. Since he plays better on the left, put him beside Trent. Thats a LOT of beef on that side.

Trent Williams - LT

Morgan Moses - LG

Cory Lichtensteiger - C

Arie Kouandjio - RG

Brandon Sherff - RT

Could even consider Spencer Long at C but i dont see Lichtenstieger losing his job.

I would also go for this OL but I would start Long at C

Baby steps.

Bonafide all pro LT. Potential all pro guard added. Solid, if healthy, upgrade at the other guard spot but could of been better. 

The ongoing problems persist in Scherff having to play in a weak position for him at RT down to there being NO starting calibre RT on the roster. (Moses will never amount to anything more than a back-up at this level.) . Which in turn has either Lauvao or Long, decent backup material at guard, starting;  and a pitifully undersized centre still in place. 

But Chester is all but done so that's a MAJOR plus right there. 

So potentially 3 fifths of the line in place going forward (2 of which are potential al pros) with some decent back-ups at guard and tackle. 

Baby steps.

If healthy, you opening day front 5, all things being equal, will be

RT  Scherff

RG Lauvao

C   Lichtensteiger 

LG Kouandijo

LT  Williams

Hail. 

It's too soon for me to guess what our OL will look like in several months.

The only locks I see are Trent and Scherff as Tackles.

I love Licht, but I don't know if he'll be able to make it with our new orientation. I would love for him to do it as he's been a real pro for us, I just don't know if he can make it.

I don't want to rule Compton out, because I think he did some good job last year. Just don't see him beat Scherff. And Moses won't be ready for the regular season to me.

At both guard positions then it's open for anyone, Kouandjio, Chester, Lauvao, Long. Too close to call ith new Coach.

Then, I don't want to forget all our other additions from the offseason:

- Rishaw Johnson 6'3" 313lbs

- Tyler Larsen 6'4" 315lbs

- Ty Nsheke 6'8" 325lbs

- Edawn Coughman 6'4" 313lbs

- Xavier Nixon 6'6" 330lbs

I feel one of them can crank its way up to the 53 with our new coaching staff and our new orientation.

Starter                      Back up

LT Trent Williams            Moses 
LG Long                           Kouandjio 
C Lichtensteiger             Reiter
RG Lavaou
RT Sherff                           Compton

or

LG Scherff                        Kouandjio 
RG Lavaou                      Long
RT Compton                         

LG Long                           Kouandjio 

RG Lavaou

RT Sherff                           Compton

or

LG Scherff                        Kouandjio 

RG Lavaou                      Long

RT Compton                         

Would prefer the former. I like the idea of Williams one side and Scherff the other, even if it's just for balance. 

I think Long can be effective at LG, he is scouted more of a RG type due to his average movement skills, but I see him pulling well when I watch him play.

He has had the injuries, but if he can play LG that would really set things up well.  He should be healthy and ready to make a push to start.

Kouandjio has a real shot to start IMO.  I think the ideal line up would be:

Williams - Long - Licht - Kouandjio - Scherff

Let them grow together if they're ready to play.  Licht, I'm looking at you next...

If any of the incumbents win out I'm cool with it, but if I'm the new position coach I'm hoping the long term answers win out so I'd be going with a best player plays attitude and mean it. 

We have a new position coach and we're switching to a power with speed approach which hasn't flashed as something in abundance on our interior to this point.

I'm looking for Callahan to make a good unit, and part of doing that will be to improve everybody up to and including Trent.  Added bonus of transitioning is the contrats we have coming up that need to get done between now and next FA.

EDIT:  Our DL should be a good gage of who fits and who doesn't.  Can't wait for the 1 on 1s.  Normally Trent is the only OL who wins when they do that.  This year our DL is big, strong with some speed, and we have a decent set of OLBs.  I liked our back ups at the end of the season, we have more talent and all the incumbents are likely to improve too so we can test the feet a chunk too.  Run the ball a lot and by mid season at the latest we'll have a unit.  It's not like our QBs didn't get pressured like crazy any way.....

Just the fact the Skins have truly invested in Oline is commendable. They have two home grown 1st round T's. Highly rated OG's that will make for interesting competition... I mean Long vs Arie, that sounds like fun. Moses still early on in project phase. Just very nice. 

I'd like to see Callahan just find a home for all of them. Moses as perennial backup but serviceable LT, you know what, that's not all that bad. Long switches to C, OK. Scherzo becomes better than expected RT with a couple probowls, I'll take that. 

The fact is with the Oline, you're gonna be seeing competition for years to come. And, if GMSM remains here, I feel he will continue to fill the well. That's vision, you can't view individual drafts in a vacuum.

I think GMSM drafted with the next 3 drafts in mind. Yea, he filled up the RB well with a tough, big back. He liked the idea of DE in 2nd and not 1st, but still knew the vision of building for years and decades to come. It seems you can stay good in this league if you're flush with ever revolving young talent. 10 picks a year is probably what GMSM would take always. I think he wants to just stack depth behind depth.

What I want:

LT: Trent Williams

LG: Brandon Scherff, Arie Kouandjio

C: Kory Lichtensteiger, Austin Reiter

RG: Shawn Lauvao, Spencer Long-Shawn Lauvao wins camp battle being more comfortable on his natural right side.

RT: Morgan Moses, Tom Compton-A much improved Morgan Moses under Bill Callahan wins camp battle.

What I see happening:

LT:Trent Williams, Morgan Moses

LG: Shawn Lauvao, Arie Kouandijo

C: Kory Lictensteiger, Austin Reiter (Possible chance he gets cut and makes practice squad)

RG: Spencer Long

RT: Brandon Scherff, Tom Compton

I think if Scheff is by far and away the best guard on the roster and only just better than the incumbents at tackle then you put the best combination out there .

I just re-watched 2 full Alabama games.  Miss St. and WV.  I keyed Kouandjio and Preston Smith w. Miss St.  

1.  No one plays Kouandjio head up, at least not very often against WV.  He was often trying to find someone to help out because there was never anyone in his gap.  That had him wiffing a few times running to the 2nd level, but defenders were running away from him at all costs.

2.  Alabama loves to run right, but man they could get 5 yards behind him every play it looks like.  They also slant right on protections a lot.  That had him running right to help the C often.

3.  Assuming he stays healthy Kujo is the best guard on the team right now.  Yeah he has a lot of learning, but he's better than anyone last year for sure.  I haven't seen Scherff play G, so I'll reserve judgement there.  I believe AK will start at LG.

Updated guess if all are healthy:

Williams - Kouandjio - Licht - Long - Scherff

Link to Miss St. game:

Archived