Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Exercise Option On Robert Griffin III

RG3 has been a failure up until this point, I am not sure why they would do this. If he is injured at the end of the year it will be a disastrous cap hit for next year.

RG3 is worth giving another chance to see if he can learn to be a NFL QB that can pick up 2nd receivers, gets down before getting injured, and gets the ball out quickly. If he cannot learn it also time to say bye.

Let's hope he learns NFL QB skills -OR- there is no injury at the end of the year. This is his 4th year which is the super star or super dud year; which one is questionable at this point.

RG3 has been a failure up until this point, I am not sure why they would do this. If he is injured at the end of the year it will be a disastrous cap hit for next year.

RG3 is worth giving another chance to see if he can learn to be a NFL QB that can pick up 2nd receivers, gets down before getting injured, and gets the ball out quickly. If he cannot learn it also time to say bye.

Let's hope he learns NFL QB skills -OR- there is no injury at the end of the year. This is his 4th year which is the super star or super dud year; which one is questionable at this point.

I understand your concern, but the only way it becomes a problem is if and only if:

He plays like garbage and he gets injured so badly he is ruled out for 2016. If he plays poorly and gets benched, he can be released with no 2016 CAP hit. 

I didn't like it at first but once I had a better understanding of the rules, I agree it's the right thing for the Skins. The only risk is him getting injured beyond playing. Even then, it;s a one yr hit only. 

I understand your concern, but the only way it becomes a problem is if and only if:

He plays like garbage and he gets injured so badly he is ruled out for 2016. If he plays poorly and gets benched, he can be released with no 2016 CAP hit. 

I didn't like it at first but once I had a better understanding of the rules, I agree it's the right thing for the Skins. The only risk is him getting injured beyond playing. Even then, it;s a one yr hit only. 

My concern is that they could have gone thru the same evaluation process without picking up his option and they would not be at risk for a 2016 cap hit if he gets injured at the end of this year. Injuries occur a lot for RG3 and they are based on his style which needs to change and hasn't so far (the risk).

It is smart to evaluate him, but not smart to keep him beyond this season if he cannot gain NFL QB skills. Up until this point he looks like the physically gifted QB failures Vick & Young rather than the successful Wilson. Can he learn, I have no idea and based on responses so far I am not sure anybody does. The problem is why doesn't he advance when he has all the mental and physical skills - something is not registering correctly.

In any case, 3-8 wins in 2015 and settle the QB dilemma with any 1 of the 3, or get a new QB in 2016, will be OK as long as we get beat with talent as opposed to mistakes. If it is mistakes again Gruden has to go.

It's plain to see that RG3 hasn't been the same player he was in '12. You can site a wide variety of reasons for that. But IMHO the biggest reason for his lack-luster play revolves around our O-line. Our QBs just don't have the time. 113 sacks & 58 hits proves my point. Seriously...within 2 seconds they have pressure on them. I'm no QB but I know enough to know you need time to go through your progressions. You need time to find the open receiver & get him the ball. If you don't have that then all-of-a-sudden you start getting "happy feet" + then you start rushing through your reads, probably missing the open receiver, & making the wrong decision that probably ends up as an incomplete or worse an INT.  

I don't care what we do on the defensive side of the ball. Until we address the O-line with HIGH draft picks we'll continue to see our QBs struggle & we'll continue to have sub .500 seasons. Plain & simple. 

HTTR!!!

My concern is that they could have gone thru the same evaluation process without picking up his option and they would not be at risk for a 2016 cap hit if he gets injured at the end of this year. Injuries occur a lot for RG3 and they are based on his style which needs to change and hasn't so far (the risk).

It is smart to evaluate him, but not smart to keep him beyond this season if he cannot gain NFL QB skills. Up until this point he looks like the physically gifted QB failures Vick & Young rather than the successful Wilson. Can he learn, I have no idea and based on responses so far I am not sure anybody does. The problem is why doesn't he advance when he has all the mental and physical skills - something is not registering correctly.

In any case, 3-8 wins in 2015 and settle the QB dilemma with any 1 of the 3, or get a new QB in 2016, will be OK as long as we get beat with talent as opposed to mistakes. If it is mistakes again Gruden has to go.

@ They --

It's surely not without risk. But keep in mind he has to be injured to the point of missing the entire 2016 season. He has been pretty resilient in that matter. He has not missed time the next year from a previous season (although you could argue he should have in season 2.). 

He did not end the season injured and is starting the season healthy. If he gets injured early enough that he has either played poorly enough we don't want him, or just not played enough, it's extremely likely he will pass the physical fro 2016 voiding that part of the contract. If he gets that injured late enough in the season and is still playing, it's most likely because he is playing well, and in that case he will be a bargain at $16M.

Again, this move is not without risk. But IMO the benefits in terms of control of the situation outweigh the risk.

@ Canada --

I also agree we need to see a better oline. I am not sure it has to be with draft picks. I have a lot of confidence in Bill Callahan. If he believes he can get the guys we have to play the kind of ball we need, then I am all in with him.

Having said that, I might make a little mess in my shorts (in a good way) if we find a way to end up with someone like Sherff or one of the other top rated Oline or perish the thought, two of them!!!  Either at #5 or by trading down. I am 100% with you, we will not get better as a football team until we fix the Oline.

It's plain to see that RG3 hasn't been the same player he was in '12. You can site a wide variety of reasons for that. But IMHO the biggest reason for his lack-luster play revolves around our O-line. Our QBs just don't have the time. 113 sacks & 58 hits proves my point. Seriously...within 2 seconds they have pressure on them. I'm no QB but I know enough to know you need time to go through your progressions. You need time to find the open receiver & get him the ball. If you don't have that then all-of-a-sudden you start getting "happy feet" + then you start rushing through your reads, probably missing the open receiver, & making the wrong decision that probably ends up as an incomplete or worse an INT.  

I agree the o-line needs to be upgraded but that will not fix RG3's problem with picking up secondary receivers, holding the ball too long (several of the writers stated 50% or more of his sacks were on RG3), and not getting down before he gets hit (his injury problem). Some of the o-line fixes may already exist (e.g. Long and Moses), others will have to be brought in. The free agent market was weak this year on o-lineman so Scot stayed away from it, and that was a good thing.

It is, however, going to take a lot more than an o-line fix to correct RG3's problems. Until RG3 makes the D fear his quick passes and picking up alternate receivers they will continue with a hard rush and that is not fixable with o-lineman alone.

@go, I think you are right with Callahan and some of the existing players doing a lot to help the o-line. A 2nd year of playing in Gruden's O should make it easier as well.

I thought they had to carry RG3 to the point that he is 100% recovered, which could be well into the 2016 without much of a problem.

He still gets injured way too much and unless he changes his running mode it is only a matter of time before he gets a big injury. It is his to change, and so far he hasn't changed, still looks like the 2012 spread QB that got hurt in that year because he was trying to be a spread QB in the NFL, time for a change.

I do hope Gruden hangs on with RG3 (if he performs well) or dumps him early and settles with one of the other 2 QBs for the rest of the year. Last year's RG3 - Cousin - McCoy - back to RG3 is not a good way to go,

I am sorry, I just don't see how it makes any sense to reward Griffin for something he clearly does not deserve based on his performance.  The WP reports this morning, "Over the past two seasons, the Redskins have gone 4-16 in games Griffin took the majority of snaps. Since he returned from knee surgery, Griffin has taken 71 sacks, fumbled 20 times, thrown 18 interceptions and tossed 20 touchdown passes." Those are just the facts and I don't see how that kind of terrible play earns him an extension.  I don't know one team aside from WAS that has as its starting QB  someone with those kinds of stats...in fact, I don't know one single team in the NFL that has a backup QB with those kinds of stats but here, he gets a $16M dollar extension?  Its hard to believe. If my performance on my job was as bad, I doubt I would still be employed let alone given a raise.  The inmates have indeed taken over the asylum.  Part of this very bad decision has to be set at the feet of the new GM and I have grave concerns about his abilities and this just reinforces that view...again the GM is quoted as saying regardless of need, he will take the best player available and again, along with this decision, that view leaves me very skeptical that SM has a clue about what he is doing...he just seems to be making extremely poor decisions none of which seem to be directed at making the team better.

I guess I'm the only person supporting the move.

HTTR!

I totally support the move. This is strictly a business move to protect the investment and keep the team in the best position. There is an injury risk. But IMO it's not as big a deal as some think it is.

In then end, if plays well he gets paid $16M. If he plays poorly we release him.

To all that dislike RG3 I'd like to pose a question to you....what were/are our alternatives? The FA class this year was worse than bad & trading up isn't an option. So what was Scot McCloughan supposed to do? Don't misunderstand me, I have fallen out of love with RG3 but like him or not he's still our best option right now.

HTTR!!!

I totally support the move. This is strictly a business move to protect the investment and keep the team in the best position. There is an injury risk. But IMO it's not as big a deal as some think it is.

In then end, if plays well he gets paid $16M. If he plays poorly we release him.

@go - if he gets injured at the end of the year, like his first year, they are on the hook until he is ready to play in the next year. His injury at the end of the 1st year could be argued that his return should have been delayed until in the 3rd to 5th game as a minimum.

I am also not sure what the Redskins gain by exercising the option. Up until this point he is far from showing the potential to get a 16 million cap hit from another team as a free agent next year. Based on his last year's performance it would be much closer to a 2nd team QB pay as a free agent - 3 or 4 million max.

If he did makes a big turn around in his 4th year and that usually happens in the 2nd year or not at all, it is still questionable if he would get a 16 mill cap hit based on 1 year.

You are going to have to help this poor little country boy understand what is to be gained by exercising the option other than making RG3 feel good and that doesn't count in business, or horseshoes.

I am being mean but I really don't get the logic.

To all that dislike RG3 I'd like to pose a question to you....what were/are our alternatives? The FA class this year was worse than bad & trading up isn't an option. So what was Scot McCloughan supposed to do? Don't misunderstand me, I have fallen out of love with RG3 but like him or not he's still our best option right now.

HTTR!!!

You have hit the nail right on the head.....what are our alternatives...there were various NFL caliber QBs available in FA this year and we did nothing which I think will come back to haunt us again this year.  And we buried ourselves by not bringing in an alternative. We brought back the very same three QBs whose combined record is 8 wins and 24 loss's in the last two years...and that's what we are stuck with because we did not act...Its just another reason why I don't have any confidence in SM...he surely can not believe any of these QBs can give the team a chance to win.  Again, that's three QBs who have a combined won loss record of 8 wins and 24 loss's and all we did was bring back all three none of which have even close to a 500 percent winning average..how can that be playing to win?  And then we give a QB whose record is even worse $16M...I simply can not wrap my mind around what in the dickn's this team is thinking about...

Yes, I get that if he is injured he is due the money. But do you realize that he has to be so injured that he misses the entire 2016 season? If you want to dwell on that part of it then fine. But consider this:

1. If he gets seriously injured early in the season then he will have enough to heal to be ready for 2016 and we can release him with nothing owed.

2. If he gets injured really late in the season, injured enough to miss next year. Most likely he is in because he is played well. In that case we would want to keep him and $16.8M for a starting QB is good for us.

But focusing on the one risk and just assuming he is going to be so injured he misses the entire 2016 season means ignoring the reasons this is a good move. 

1. If he plays great, then we will have a cheap starting QB. The franchise tag is expected to be just under $19M for 2016.

2. If he plays like garbage, we release him. Nothing owed. Absolutely nothing.

3. He plays just average. Release him. If he wants to resign at a cheaper salary, great. If not let him walk.

The only risk is a catastrophic injury. I get that. Trusty me I get that. But I am not going to dwell on the very small % chance (and yes, it's extremely small % chance of catastrophic injury) when if he is healthy we hold all the cards.

But understand people, we have not given him anything yet. He still has to earn it. Play like garbage and it's out you go, nothing owed. For those that do not like RGIII, this should be really good news. Since there is the injury clause, there will be a great deal more pressure for Robert to play well early. There will be a quick hook. If he is on the bench he can't get hurt.

I can't explain it any better than that. I see the logic and it makes sense. I didn't before, but once I understood the rules and looked the % possibilities, I am totally on board.   JMO! 

HTTR!!!!

@go - I still remain unconvinced that exercising the option gives us anything, However, it is not a big deal.

@Canada short of a trade I also don't see any other QBs, other that the draft,

However, it is not next year I worry about as the Redskin wins should be in the 3-8 area (giving myself a lot of room because I have no idea). Even 2016 is going to be rough given our need to upgrade the roster and replace older players, doesn't look like a super bowl chance. It is 2017 I worry about us having a competitive team and before that point I would rather be looking for a good option at QB.

Maybe RG3 is our solution, but based on the past 2 years he is not and last year he was even the worse of the 3 options.

OK....name 1 that would have been a better option.

HTTR!!!

Fitzgerald was available among others but you only asked for one...He would have been a big improvement over any one of our QBs...perfect to run the WC O that Gruden runs....certainly better than Griffin.

Another point to consider is that next year both Trent Williams & Kerrigan are FAs next year. So tossing about the franchise tag for next year not a good idea unless they can get at least one of the three (including Robert) tied down this year. And it would be cheaper to tag either of these two versus RGIII next season anyway. 

The Skins can play with some numbers next year if they keep RGIII contract wise. Or part ways. They basically 'tagged' RGIII this year with the option. 

BTW - Scot said they will exercise the option - but not officially with the NFL until the deadline on Monday. After the draft ends. Robert is still in play for a trade until then (provided someone wants to pony up the bucks for him). This is the same guy who ate $10M to let Matt Flynn walk in favor of Russell Wilson.

Just sayin'... 

@John, a franchise QB and tag will be in the 20 mil area. Luck, Brady, Wilson, and others of the same ilk would get that amount because they are worth declaring a franchise tag. RG3 is not in the franchise tag area talent wise.

The bigger question about RG3 is his value next year. If he shopped himself this year he would be hard pressed to get another team to give him 7 mil. If he increases his contract worth by 50% this year he would still be 2-4 mill less than the 16 mil he will automatically get next year.

But the option is done and I can live with it - obviously as you can see begrudgingly. However, into each life a little begrudgingly will flow.

I want to add one more comment about what is going on with Griffin..who clearly does not deserve having this option executed.  What kind of message does this send to all the other players on the team that a guy who has played terrible the last two years and I mean so poorly that two different head coach's had to bench him in consecutive years and still gets rewarded.  His overall record for the last two years in wins and loss's 4 wins and 16 loss's.  I can not think of one single starting QB in the NFL with that kind of record who gets $16M.  So now players look at this and what do you think they come away with? You don't have to produce to get rewarded on this team. That there are players who get special treatment even when they don't produce.  How do you think that sets in the locker room where guys are beating their brains out to try and make the team?  I can tell you this, when a guy gets cut because he cant make the grade, that's fair.  But when a guy plays so poorly as Griffin has and gets rewarded with a big increase to his salary, how do you think other players see the coaching staff and management?  Its just doesn't do any good for those on the roster that have earn the right to a big payday when one is just given away. 

But when a guy plays so poorly as Griffin has and gets rewarded with a big increase to his salary, how do you think other players see the coaching staff and management?  Its just doesn't do any good for those on the roster that have earn the right to a big payday when one is just given away. 

This is probably the biggest misconception of the entire Option process. The Redskins have not given Robert anything. They have simply exercised their option to "decide" if they want to pay him or not in 2016. But this is not a reward, unless you believe giving him another chance this year to prove himself is itself a reward which is a different discussion. Robert has to produce this year or get released, it's that simple. So he has not been given $16M. He has to earn that on the field.

The only way the choice gets taken away from them is if he gets so seriously injured he cannot play in 2016. Yes, I get it's risk. But IMO and apparently the Redskins opinion, the risk is much smaller than having control over the 2016 decision.

This is probably the biggest misconception of the entire Option process. The Redskins have not given Robert anything. They have simply exercised their option to "decide" if they want to pay him or not in 2016. But this is not a reward, unless you believe giving him another chance this year to prove himself is itself a reward which is a different discussion. Robert has to produce this year or get released, it's that simple. So he has not been given $16M. He has to earn that on the field.

The only way the choice gets taken away from them is if he gets so seriously injured he cannot play in 2016. Yes, I get it's risk. But IMO and apparently the Redskins opinion, the risk is much smaller than having control over the 2016 decision.

@go - they have a better than an even chance at resigning RG3 next year without the franchise option even if he plays reasonably well, Playing well is the key and based on the past 2 years I would say it is at best 50-50 and about the same for an injury that carries over until the next year. It is trying to understand the upside of taking the option with a sub-standard QB that I am having a problem with. Risk I can handle, taking a chance on a player with no proven upside is my problem,

We have 3 QBs and based on last year's wins and performance RG3 looked like number 3, why not go with Cousins or McCoy? Or draft someone for the future. Taking RG3 as your 2017 QB (the point when we can become competitive) is the risk I worry about. However, it is not a big deal as long as they take the opportunity to cover us for the future if RG3 fails again.

The main problem I have is 20+ years of dumb Redskins moves left us with a constant loser. Scot gave me hope but any Redskin move that does not appear to be a part of a logical success plan pings my don't want to be a failure nerve. That is as it should be when you find you have been rooting for a failure for 20+ years - not fun. But it is time to move on.

Archived