Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where do you stream? Watching TV online.

Burgold

So, my father was asking me to find a place where he can watch full episodes of Dr. Who online. Thing is, he doesn't really want to go with a fee service like Netflix or Amazon Prime. I don't generally watch shows online (I'm a bit obsolete), but I know there are free sites.  Anyone have any they like or any we should steer the heck away from for fear of viruses, spyware, and other nefarious unexpected bonuses?

All my streaming is paid. Netflix and HBO Go is pretty much it for me. Had Hulu but I didn't like it.

I've found that illegally streaming content is really more work than it's worth.

Ah, are pretty much all the freebies pirated content? Don't really dig that. Was hoping for something legal that pays via ads or whatever. 

Ah, are pretty much all the freebies pirated content? Don't really dig that. Was hoping for something legal that pays via ads or whatever. 

Those exist, but they usually only have the latest season. Netflix and Hulu for example, will make the latest season of shows available without a paid subscription (where they are selling ads), but make you subscribe and pay to access older seasons (because advertisers aren't expecting to make a buck off of people binge watching stuff from the 90s).

I think some you can get for free, but no more than what you'd get with an antenna.

Hulu does have a free service but it's really just a teaser to get you to the pay wall. Youtube has some movies available. Other streaming sources have options for free stuff as well.

It's so fragmented that it becomes very tedious though. You won't have all episodes of all seasons, the movie selection is poor, etc.

In order to get most of the live streaming content though, you need a cable subscription... or someone with a login to one.

I agree with Springfield.. trying to get free is more work than it costs to simply pay for it.

Netflix is one of the best entertainment bargains in the world.

8 bucks per month. You can't beat it.

Literally less than .27 cents per day.. working and hunting for free can't beat that.. hell Burg, if you figured for the value of your time, you spent much more than that just writing this post to ask for advice.

I watch it all the time. In fact, other than live sports and HBO, i don't hardly watch broadcast TV at all. I am about ready to cut the cable.

HBO simply offers some of the highest quality programming there is, so they get my money with a smile each month.With Netflix producing top quality shows of their own,, it's unbeatable.

~Bang

I'd go Netflix or Amazon Prime.  Both are around the same price total per year.  Netflix is $7.99/mo streaming HD for two devices at a time and $11.99/mo for up to 4 devices.  Amazon Prime is a flat $99 annual membership fee and provides you with free 2 day shipping.  

Netflix - $96/yr or $144/yr

Amazon Prime - $99/yr

Both have Dr. Who right now, my wife is a fellow Whovian, she watches it over and over and over again lol.  If you order a lot online, or if he does, then I'd suggest Amazon Prime.  If not, Netflix.

And you can share an account if you want to with him as long as you have a device that has the app on it (blu-ray player, smart TV, Apple TV, Roku, etc.).  So he could log into it, you could to at the same time since its up to 2 devices on the base account for Netflix.  

Can't remember if Amazon has a log in limit on # of devices or not. 

I think this is the year that I finally pull the plug. I've got more info now than ever.

$400 a year vs. $200 a month is simple math.

The savings negates the reason for Sunday Ticket. I can afford it, it's just tossing money away though...which I hate.  

Ah yeah, I forgot about Amazon Prime. It's great!

The selection is similar, if not identical to Netflix. Advantage is that they offer original programming. Also, you can rent or buy movies and shows that aren't free and the selection of that is almost limitless. It beats the hell out of cable's On Demand programming.

There is an amazing amount of stuff on Youtube.  Far more than most people realize.   I think it's relegated to stuff where whoever holds the license isn't too careful.  Those are mostly really old shows.  I subscribed to the Untouchables with Robert Stack yesterday, I think all the episodes are there.  I've also watched Fall Guy and Fantasy Island.

Sometimes the picture is sketchy, and you have to actively look for stuff, there is no real way to browse tv episodes vs. all the inane crap that gets put on there.  Might be I just don't know about it.  Bottom line, if you're not picky about what you watch there is plenty there for free and without ads.

The pay services, even Hulu Plus with it's ads, far less than the 20 minutes/hour you see on broadcast, are really the way to go if you want something later than the 80's.

have netflix, Prime and Kodi helix on the firestick for whatever those don't cover......much more than I need and better than cable

watching on our schedule is the big draw for me.

Couch Tuner is free and pretty simple. So is popcorn time.

yep

Husband found a thing called RabbitTV for his BIL.  I think he said it's $10 a year(yes, ten). 

Through all the science babble about it, I think I caught something about buffering problems, but that's all I got.  He really wants to look into it for us, but I'm addicted to all the nifty stuff with Xfinity.

Archived