Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft in Chicago - Anyone from ES going?

Inigo Montoya

Chicago is a pretty easy drive for me (did it Tuesday and drove home yesterday) and I'm considering going up with my sons for the free, no tickets required part of the draft. The NFL seems to have put a ton of thought and money into making this a really cool event... just wondering if other Esers will be planning to attend? 

Do you go up Thursday for the first round? Friday for the weekend? If I do end up going would love to see a group of Skins fans! 

I went last year.  If anyone has never been to the draft, I recommend going at least once.  Although in all of Radio City Music Hall, I was maybe one of 3 or 4 Redskins fans I could find.

Put it on your bucket list.  It's fun.  I don't think I'd ever go again, but it was a blast.  And I happen to like Chicago better than NEw York having been to both cities.  So this year could be a cool year to go.

LOL, the NFL made the city close down a bunch of streets near the auditorium for their 'NFL Experience' or whatever it is.  A decent number of Chicagoans are shake their angry fist at Rahm Emanuel right now.

Yeah, but how could you decline a money maker for city tourism?

Yeah, but how could you decline a money maker for city tourism?

You don't, that's why its here. I get that.

Still most Chicagoans are used to touristy things going on during the weekend (International soccer at Soldier Field, Lollapalooza, etc).  I think its the fact that the most important part of the draft happens on a Thursday evening that bugs people.

Chicago is a really fun town. Not saying it compares to Manhattan, but still pretty cool.

BTW, is there anything more annoying than angry Jets and Eagles fans every single year at the draft? Glad to know we're free from those asswipes this year.

There isn't. The draft is happening at Auditorium Theater (Roosevelt University), which is right in the loop (downtown).

Lol, nice try, sending someone down there is crazy talk.

It's at the other radio city music hall in Chicago right near the Chicago MET.

http://www.chicagonow.com/show-me-chicago/2015/04/nfl-draft-chicago-getting-around-draft-town/

The 80th Annual NFL Draft (Player Selection Meeting) which has been held in New York since 1965, touches down in Chicago this year for the first time since 1964.

In addition to the big event, the draft, which kicks off Thursday, April 30 (through Saturday, May 2) at the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University, there is a “Draft Town” for fans.

The 900,000-square foot Draft Town (the size of 15 football fields) already under construction, across the street from the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago's Grant Park and Congress Plaza, is a free admission "Town" for fans to come and participate in competitions, meet players, enjoy food, drink and music and buy NFL merchandise.

Selection Square will serve at the heart of Draft Town. The Square features team tables for all 32 NFL teams where reps from each NFL team will make their Draft selections throughout the three days.

Registration for tickets, which are required for Selection Square (and the Auditorium Theatre) is closed, but fans without tickets can still participate in all the other free events in Draft Town and check out the action on big screen TV's located throughout the park.

Highlights of Draft Town include:

• A Super Bowl Museum featuring Bears memorabilia, the Vince Lombardi Trophy, Super Bowl rings and the AFC and NFC Conference Championship Trophies.
  • The Draft Tavern Presented by Bud Light – "The hottest place to drink the coldest beer.
"
  • Grant Park's Buckingham Fountain will be lit up reflecting team colors during the Draft’s first two nights.
  • A Sweetness Simulator offers fans an opportunity to soar just like Chicago Bears legendary running back Walter Payton, (Sweetness) in a wind tunnel skydive simulator.
  • Run Like the Wind tests fans running speed alongside a 40-yard long LED screen featuring NFL stars running the 40-yard dash.
  • AFC & NFC Row/Team Houses is a mini-village featuring all 32 NFL clubs' "Team Houses" filled with unique club content and memorabilia.
  • NFL PLAY 60 Zone offers an interactive area for kids and families that includes an obstacle course, mobile app gaming, green screen photo opportunity, the NFL PLAY 60 Bus and more.
  • NFL PLAY 60 Clinic Field tests fans ability to kick a field goal through NFL uprights.
  • Draft Town Autograph Stage featuring free autographs from NFL Legends and current NFL players. (Thursday, April 30 and Friday, May 1: 4 to 9:30 p.m.; Saturday, May 2, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
  • Chi-Chefs Kitchen will feature selections from some of Chicago's best restaurants including Billy Goat Tavern & Grill, Black Dog Gelato, County Barbecue, Dia De Los Tamales, FEAST and Wow Bao and more.

FREE CONCERT

A free concert featuring American Idol winner and platinum-selling songwriter PHILLIP PHILLIPS will provide a grand finale to the three-day Draft celebration in Chicago’s Grant Park on Saturday, May 2 at 8 p.m. Tickets are not required.

Draft Town Times and Dates:

Thursday, April 30: 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday, May 1: 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday, May 2: 10 p.m. - 7 p.m. (concert at 8 p.m.)

Lol, nice try, sending someone down there is crazy talk.

It's at the other radio city music hall in Chicago right near the Chicago MET.

Huh?

There's no radio city music hall in chicago to my knowledge, it's definitely being held at the auditorium theater at Roosevelt University just off michigan ave next to grant park.

http://www.auditoriumtheatre.org/shows/nfl-draft-2015/

I am heading up there on Wednesday with a group of friends. We planned to go up there a while back and were all set to stand in line for tickets like they used to do in NY. But then they implemented the lottery system, so that plan was dashed. Only one person out of my group was selected, and that is for Saturday. So that kinda sucks, but I am sure we will still have a good time and hang out at Draft Town quite a bit. 

Would love to go...The W in Chicago is fun

Which one? I like the lakeshore dr one... But started staying at the sheraton instead because it had more amenities.

Think my other travel buddies have all bailed, so I probably won't be making the trip. Really want to go to soldier field for he first time this year, I'll probably save my trip for that.

Which one? I like the lakeshore dr one... But started staying at the sheraton instead because it had more amenities.

Think my other travel buddies have all bailed, so I probably won't be making the trip. Really want to go to soldier field for he first time this year, I'll probably save my trip for that.

...in December? you sure about that one?

Lakeshore is bigger...City Centre is more intimate. My ex GF from Ecuador was absolutely gorgeous and we spent 4 or 5 nights in CC In a suite...fond memories...... : ) >

I really prefer the W Hotels over all others...more my speed at my age

If you are going to Chicago you must make a visit to Maeve, the official Redskins bar in Chicago. They hosted us for a pre-game tailgate a few years ago and I hope they do it again this year.

I'm in Chicago all the time for work now, I'm definitely gonna hit up that bar before the game in December.

Red beast, I stay at city center more... Closer to the office, but love the views from lakeshore. Woke up one morning and couldn't see through the fog, it was a weird, kinda cool and claustrophobic type of view!

Archived