Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Times: 1.5 million black men are missing around the US

Boss_Hogg

In New York, almost 120,000 black men between the ages of 25 and 54 are missing from everyday life. In Chicago, 45,000 are, and more than 30,000 are missing in Philadelphia. Across the South — from North Charleston, S.C., through Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi and up into Ferguson, Mo. — hundreds of thousands more are missing.

They are missing, largely because of early deaths or because they are behind bars. Remarkably, black women who are 25 to 54 and not in jail outnumber black men in that category by 1.5 million, according to an Upshot analysis. For every 100 black women in this age group living outside of jail, there are only 83 black men. Among whites, the equivalent number is 99, nearly parity.

African-American men have long been more likely to be locked up and more likely to die young, but the scale of the combined toll is nonetheless jarring...

...More than one out of every six black men who today should be between 25 and 54 years old have disappeared from daily life.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/20/upshot/missing-black-men.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

Untitled_zpsampccz0z.gif

That number is staggering.

Throw in the huge disparities in college degrees between black women and black men, and you create a situation where an educated 30 year old black woman has an incredible uphill struggle if her goal is to date/marry a black man on a similar social/economic level.

So you saw numbers showing that black men are basically being removed from American life at shocking levels and your mind went to black women might have to date/marry outside of their race? That's an interesting way to look at this.

Figured it actually meant missing. As in, cannot be found, gone without a trace.

That's what I though at first, too.  Was gonna say...I don't remember seeing that on CNN or trending on twitter LOL

Not surprising, though.  Which is sad :(

you might look at why they are behind bars or dead in higher percentages.

http://wmbriggs.com/post/7168/

homicide and violent crime rates against other blacks is a two-fer on the removing scale

95 percent were killed by other blacks

49% of murder victims were black

http://wwwhttp://www.cbsnews.com/news/feds-49-of-murder-victims-are-black-men/.cbsnews.com/news/feds-49-of-murder-victims-are-black-men/

you might look at why they are behind bars or dead in higher percentages.

Perhaps your definition of "why" is a bit more... shallow... than others. I doubt you bothered to consider the origins of the social conditions that have made this a reality for African American communities throughout the county. 

Perhaps your definition of "why" is a bit more... shallow... than others. I doubt you bothered to consider the origins of the social conditions that have made this a reality for African American communities throughout the county. 

of course it is shallow, which is why I did not limit it to that....nor flesh out the causes behind those numbers

feel free to to go beyond and demonstrate 'made'

Why is an important question.

Why it matters is an even MORE important question.

Why everyone is affected and should care is probably the MOST important question.

I'd say for the most important you have to switch it over to "how." As in, how do we change this so it's not as bad in the future? 

I'd say for the most important you have to switch it over to "how." As in, how do we change this so it's not as bad in the future? 

Black males could avoid other black males 

too simplistic?

We could attempt to change the culture, but how to make someone make better choices when circumstances tend to rule is a difficult path.

We could attempt to change the culture, but how to make someone make better choices when circumstances tend to rule is a difficult path.

You don't attempt to change the culture, that has to happen on its own. You can help foster conditions that allow the circumstances you mention to improve over time. You know, the exact opposite of what has happened in the past 400 years. 

So you saw numbers showing that black men are basically being removed from American life at shocking levels and your mind went to black women might have to date/marry outside of their race? That's an interesting way to look at this.

It is not an uncommon observation. The discrepancies of black male vs black females and it's effects on dating/marriage is a big part of these discussions usually. 

You don't attempt to change the culture, that has to happen on its own. You can help foster conditions that allow the circumstances you mention to improve over time. You know, the exact opposite of what has happened in the past 400 years. 

yeah ,right.

each individual and family unit have to make better choices....it does not happen on it's own

It is not an uncommon observation. The discrepancies of black male vs black females and it's effects on dating/marriage is a big part of these discussions usually.

His reasoning makes sense, he's a father, but dating/marrying outside of your race is not a crisis. If an individual black woman has a racial preference, it's none of our business. Anything more than that starts to creep us towards the racist line of thinking who she "should" be with.

The focus IMO needs to remain on black men and what needs to be done to change the fate that awaits far too many of them. One in six exposes our failures as a society and shames us all.

I personally think that white people just need to stop trying to "help," black people, if that help involves telling black people what to do. After all I'm not so sure (if I were black) that I would want white people sticking their nose in my business if I view them as the source of my problems to begin with.

Archived