Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you ever known someone in a hate group?

Boss_Hogg

I'm curious if you have any friends, family, or co-workers in a "hate" group? I've always wondered what drives a person to join one of these fringe groups.

My daughter and I recently got caught up in a small KKK rally in West Virginia. We had no idea they were marching and the police funneled us and other cars right by their rally point at Harper's Ferry.  

The Southern Poverty Law Center has a "hate map" where you can locate hate groups in your neighborhood. I sent the location of the KKK rally to them. So far the map hasn't been updated with the icon. 

http://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

I've seen movies like American History X, a Time to Kill, Higher Learning, etc but I've never actually met someone in these groups. 

Not as far as the clan or anything whose goal was primarily hatred.

I've partied with bikers from an MC that it turned out were pretty hateful certain groups. Thankfully not to me.  Wasn't something I did on purpose it just happened.  It was interesting, a little scary but kinda exhilarating too.  I had to be on my toes the whole weekend but in general I had fun.  

Have buddy in AK that has a serious stockpile of ammo, dry goods to last for a couple years and assault rifles buried in grease bags in various locations in the MatSu valley which he wouldn't tell me.  I guess he'd a had to kill me?  Apparently, he and a dozen or so other buddies/neighbors have a meeting every now and then to discuss their hatred for Obama.  All hot air.  The guns were for when the Chinese come for his land in lieu of the national debt.  Or some ****ing nonsense like that.  

He was a high school buddy who moved away long ago and we shared a passion for fishing, and these days, I learned a few summers ago, not much else.  Funny how someone you grew up with could turn out so freaky, I think he's harmless in the end but I can't say I approve.  Named his kid after a certain .50 cal sniper rifle, that'll tell you something.

One of my best friends growing up, his former father-in-law was in the KKK, at least that is what he told me (friend is/was not racist).  And the handful of interactions I had with him, I can say he was one of the most repulsive people I've ever met and I 100% believe that he was in it when I met him or at least was at some point prior to that in his life.

When my friend would come home from the Navy on leave, they would stay with his wife's family.  So, in order to see him and the babies/kids, we would have to go over there to visit.  I hated every second I had to spend in that house, listening to his bull****.  Granted, he didn't always rant and it wasn't always lengthy, but it's just knowing that he was an individual who could hate that much.  Sickening.

I was never comfortable around him, thankfully, I didn't have to be around him that much.  Growing up in the south in the mountains/foothills of NC, it's a wonder I didn't know more people (themselves or family members) that were involved in these groups.  I probably do, but the cowards hide their identities.  

Other than him, I grew up around in an area with a lot of racist people.  And, though while there wasn't segregation from a legal standpoint, geographically it existed to a certain degree.  Since I was a kid, I always lived where white, black, Asian, etc. went to school together from Kindergarten through High School.  

But there was a certain area where there were no black students (or maybe 1 or 2) at one particular elementary school and middle school.  Then they only had one high school (back then) to attend, which always led to racially fueled fights because we got stuck with all the racist kids from that area.

One of the reasons I have no desire to move back home, EVER, is I don't want to raise my daughter in that type of environment.  

One of my best friends from high school is a bigger liberal pansy that I am. He has a younger brother who is incredibly bright but who has made some incredibly poor decisions in his life. One of those poor decisions landed him jail. Once in jail, he gravitated towards one of Aryan/white power/whatever gangs. I don't exactly know how one becomes a member, but he definitely left jail with some tattoos that would not serve you well on a job interview.

I ran into him at a wedding a few years ago, and he claims that he regrets all the stuff and doesn't believe any of that garbage any more. But who knows?

I knew a guy in college that was part of some really ultra-conservative church. We knew he was religious but never knew the extent of some of his beliefs.  One day we were talking about homosexuality and he said some pretty extreme things.  It was actually so ridiculous that we assumed he was just "playing the part," so to speak.  

Then when jokingly told him he was being homophobic he completely flipped out: "Don't you get it?  I'm not phobic.  Phobia means fear. I'm not afraid of them. I hate them!"

Dead awkward silence.

Haven't say that I have.

I've hung out with some pretty racist mother****ers though.

Kind of wondering if you can call groups that are mainly anti-federal gov as "hate groups" though the guys i'm thinking of also hold the typical mix of racist/sexist/religious/homo hate-beliefs.

If you can, then yes several times over, if not, than yes to one instance of serious white supremacists (ID) and one to a "radical Christian homo hate group" in a "liberal" city (SEA). 

Keep in mind that the PacNW (AK/WA/OR/ID) perhaps has more than the norm of such "anti-gov" folks spread around the environs. So Or and No Cal had a couple militia groups I knew of back in the 80's. Outside Medford in the Rogue Valley, one kept trying to teach me (and lobby me as to its importance) how to build and properly stock underground shelters when I became their "neighbor." 

My father was a TV/video repair man back in the 80s. He's Sikh, but moved away from India at 11 and has lived in England ever since. One day he entered a customer's house, only to see various National Front certificates and memorabilia hanging from the walls. Turns out he was well involved with this organisation. Despite wishing my father would leave 'his' country, he apparently had no problem with him repairing his telly when it was on the blink. Needless to say, my father walked out. Being southeast London, my father's colleagues included a Lebanese guy and a Trinidad Ian amongst others. Guy had a fair amount of difficulty finding someone willing to repair his telly and even then he had to take it to the workshop and collect it after.

Not that I know of.

But, I've known a LOT of people, being in business for myself for so long.

What any of them did in other parts of their lives is anyone's guess.

I'd like to think not, but who knows?

~Bang

I've known some nutters and some very racist people, but as far as I'm aware none of them were actually in any organized hate groups. Though, like Jumbo said if you can classify some of the anti-gov people as "hate groups" then yeah. My mother grew up in Idaho and her parents still lived there until they passed away so we used to go there every summer to visit when I was younger. Met some very "interesting" anti-government types there. Even though I was younger I still remember being a bit freaked out by them, even if I didn't fully understand what they were saying or their aims (not that I even do now).

One of my best friends from high school is a bigger liberal pansy that I am. He has a younger brother who is incredibly bright but who has made some incredibly poor decisions in his life. One of those poor decisions landed him jail. Once in jail, he gravitated towards one of Aryan/white power/whatever gangs. I don't exactly know how one becomes a member, but he definitely left jail with some tattoos that would not serve you well on a job interview.

I ran into him at a wedding a few years ago, and he claims that he regrets all the stuff and doesn't believe any of that garbage any more. But who knows?

From what I understand most of the reason people join those gangs or groups in prison is protection. You don't want to be a loner in there unless you're known to be one mean and tough mother****er. So white people join the white gangs, black people join the black gangs, etc. Sure some of them are truly hardcore neo-nazis or skinheads but lots of them aren't. Those tats ain't going away though...but I guess its better than a shank in the kidney.

Yep. Two skinheads joined the gym I worked in Park City for awhile. They were moving cross country from NYC,(were looking for groups out west to join I believe). The only bigger pos than those two was the manager of the gym,(also from NYC),who wanted to hire them. Said loved 'em and appreciated their viewpoints. He quit the place before the two of us had a discussion about that. :) Two more showed up,(from a group down in Southern Utah),and they made the rounds in bars for a week. Police found them in the street near the Hula Bowl bar. They'd gotten the **** kicked out of them,(I wasn't there for that one. Damnit). 

There's been a few times in here that I've mentioned this ditzo kid (well, late 20's) I've known through association with (argh) relatives in SW WA who was all up in the Sovereign Citizen business (knew of them in SO OR, too) until he sharply steered into another driveway (Jehovah's Witnesses; now he's way up in that). He's really a harmless guy who's actually pretty mellow and nice as a rule. But he smoked way too much weed for way too long as part of the deal and he just goes into irrational thinking and long rants but minus any threat or physical acting put (doesn't even really yell anything). But some of his fellow SC's looked like rodent-descended marsh-dwelling types that decent criminals wouldn't associate with.

Some folks seem to think we're going to start seeing more of those guys act up. I had carelessly thought that Obama leaving and a good chance the next guy is GOP would be of some relief, but no, I forgot these guys give little more love to the R's than the D's. They absolutely hate D's way more, but still don't like R's enough to pull one out of the fire).

Archived