Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

15 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah I’m thinking DC won’t be too badly affected by this at all. Anyone here remember hurricane Isabel? That was the worst hurricane I’ve been alive for, power was out most places for a week. Now THAT was crazy 

Isabel was quite a memory. Took down seemingly every tree in existence and lots of green lightning and transformers going out. I also remember the huge rain from Hurricane Floyd in 1999.

I really hope people in NC/SC are taking this seriously. I'm glad the SC governor is not taking chances.

Isabel rocked Richmond. I think we were without power for 11 days. I can't imagine what it was like on the coast. I visited a friend in Charleston a couple of weeks after Hugo and it was amazing/scary what it must have been like there. You could see water lines on the sides of buildings probably 15-20 feet or so above ground level in certain areas. All of the trees that were still standing had no limbs or leaves. They looked like big toothpicks sticking out of the ground. Looks like central Virginia might be a little less worrisome for now, but I saw Virginia Beach is being evacuated in certain areas/zones. 

30 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Isabel was quite a memory. Took down seemingly every tree in existence and lots of green lightning and transformers going out. I also remember the huge rain from Hurricane Floyd in 1999.

I really hope people in NC/SC are taking this seriously. I'm glad the SC governor is not taking chances.

I can tell you the campground I live at in Virginia beach got packed last night with people evacuating from the outer banks.  They were stopping for the night and leaving today.

19 hours ago, Itoolu said:

I am supposed to fly out of dulles at 7am on Saturday, anyone have an opinion if that is foolish to expect to make that? 

Thinking of renting a car and driving to dallas to catch the connecting flight in dallas.

Airline wants $4000 to move my flight up 12 hours. Lol.

I'm flying from BWI to FLL for a layover on my way to Grand Cayman on Saturday morning.  Our flight is scheduled to leave at 8am.  I'm crossing my fingers that it's still happening and that I don't have to deal with trying to push everything back a day or two.  I'd be pretty disappointed too if we end up flying out Sunday and I will not really have a chance to catch the Redskins game :(

5 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I don't even know how to conceptualize 40+ inches of rain. I guess that's basically a 72 hour uninterrupted torrential downpour?

Recall a radio announcer using the phrase "raining sideways"  

I also recall a Cosby routine in which he's Noah, and God is telling him to do this crazy thing.  God tells him "I'm going to make it rain for 40 days and 40 nights.", and Noah's response is "Why don't you just make it rain for 3 days, and 3 nights, and wait for the sewers to back up?"  

That might well be the major problem, away from the coast.  Figure it's a safe bet that there's going to be flooding, 100 miles inland.  (If not further.)  Just a case of X amount of rain, and the sewers and creeks can only handle X/3.  

8 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I don't even know how to conceptualize 40+ inches of rain. I guess that's basically a 72 hour uninterrupted torrential downpour?

It's like being under a waterfall,just not as fun.....especially as your island shrinks

• Like 1

Here's another site with predicted windspeeds, gusts, rain, etc. Pretty much the same as Dan T. posted, but visually angrier looking. They both match up pretty well from what I've seen. If this holds up, it looks like Central VA is definitely getting soaked for the entire weekend once it starts, with gusts in the 30 MPH range. NOVA/DC gets off a little easier. Looks like gamestime Sunday up there, there will be maybe light precip and gusts up to around 15 MPH.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=36.31;-77.89;6&l=gust&t=20180916/18&w=fast

I'm directly in the path of this mother ****er. Should be interesting here in Raleigh. When Fran came through we were without power for about 10 days. Fortunately back in '96  I was in college and could just drink all week and be happy. Now, with a kid, I have to take it seriously. Getting old sucks. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Hersh said:

East or West of 95? Wilson/Rocky Mount?

Actually, I lived in Wilson during Fran and Floyd. No power for weeks and massive flooding. Not fun! I'm in Winston Salem now, and really worried about the flooding. The good thing is even this far west people are preparing. Stores are literally out of everything here, so I guess that's a good thing.

• Like 1