Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Website help/critiques

Burgold

Argh... having to redo almost my entire website today. 

The intenational news service where I worked shut its door to the DC bureau, but only recently decided to strike all the audio from its website and suddenly many of my links didn't work anymore. It was pretty shocking to see three years of your efforts suddenly evaporate. I'm pulling from my personal archive to restore what I can and replace some others. If anyone has a chance take a walk through this page and give me a critique. I'm trying to work somewhat quickly which may lead to some errors. Any advice, criticism, or help is gratefully accepted.

Thanks...

http://aclimbingstock.com/on-the-radio/

I'm running Chrome on a PC with windows.  The Sponsors images aren't loading.  Other than that it looks okay to me, but I'm not much of a design or visual person.

Also have you thought about breaking the stories up into sections/different pages based on categories/topics.

If I came upon a page like yours with a search, I might look at the top 2 or 3 stories/links and if I don't see what I'm looking for I'll move onto the next page in most cases.

I don't know about Word Press, but even if you put them in sections on the page and used anchors, it would help

(Does google index pages based on anchors?)

I could break them up by pages.

Maybe do: Science, Law/Policy, Arts or I could even break science further (general science, tech, health)

The links are what I'm  wrestling with. Wonder if you happened to pick ones I haven't recovered yet or if there are more problems.

Thanks!

Okay, I see what Peter's talking about I think. For some reason, the website is making the links a downloadable/openable link instead of as a player. When I try to drop a player in I can see it on the edit page, but not on the preview or website page. Any ideas? Do I have to download a different player?

I could break them up by pages.

Maybe do: Science, Law/Policy, Arts or I could even break science further (general science, tech, health)

The links are what I'm  wrestling with. Wonder if you happened to pick ones I haven't recovered yet or if there are more problems.

Thanks!

Every link I clicked on worked.

I was just talking about general navigation in terms of making it easy for people to find what they are looking for.

On a page like that, if what I'm looking for isn't towards the top of the page, I don't tend to scroll all the way down looking what I want.

Having sections/multiple pages means it is easier to find what you are looking for.

Okay, when I went back the links didn't play or open a player, but instead asked if you wanted to open or save the file. That annoyed me. I'm assuming you experienced the same?

All the ones that I clicked on worked and opened a player.  I'm just talking about organization in terms of making it easy for people the find what they are looking for.

Your page is pretty long with a lot of unrelated stories.  If I got to your page from a search, it wouldn't be clear where what I was looking for on your page, and your page is pretty long.

Okay, yes, a player does open up when I click the link on the PC. The open/save bar only happens on the laptop. I wonder why? Different security maybe?

Whew.

Tomorrow I'll look for a few more pieces and see if I can make more pages.

All I notice is, like Peter said, what I think are supposed to be images linking to sponsors are missing images and linking back to your own site. If I open them in Chrome, they go to http://aclimbingstock.com/sample-page/#. If I open them in IE, they go to http://aclimbingstock.com/# .Also, your About page shows the address http://aclimbingtock.com/sample-page , whereas everything else shows the appropriate page that you are on. i.e  http://aclimbingtock.com/on-the-radio . I'm sure all of this doesn't help you at all. You're welcome! .

Wordpress is what I use too, and it certainly has some quirks.  When it comes to a page as long as yours, you might be better served by chunking it into easily managed separate pages.  You can do this chronologically by creating a page per year/couple months or you can do it by subject like Science, Pop Culture, and Politics for example.  I would also suggest a page with 5-10 peaces of your favorites.  Highlighting these will draw more traffic towards your best works.

Also on the nit picking format front, when I saw the "Celebrate, Investigate, Debate" header under "On the Radio" i expected it to be a link rather than an intro.  Can you move it back to the Left and/or enlarge and bold it?

Of course, you should take all of this with a large grain of salt because there is a lot I have yet to do with my website because I haven't figured it out yet, and I am only starting to get benefits from having it anyway. 

I have to admit, I am intrigued by a company that sets all of this stuff up for you called "The Grid."  Then I would drop word press.  It is just hard to scrap the work I have done thus far, but certain things I still can't figure out like putting links on a side bar.

Thanks all for the criticism. I've tried to incorporate most of the suggestions.  Here's what I've been able to do/recover. Still missing my Mark Hamill interview which really saddens me because it was good and on a personal level I got to talk to Mark Hamill about Star Wars!

Here's the updated version:

www.aclimbingstock.com/ontheradio

You might want to spend a couple days learning wordpress.  Right now you are just hacking.  A website should have a plan.  Yours has none at this point :P

I would start with a better Theme/Template.  WordPress is as easy as it gets.  As someone who has built many websites using Joomla, you are at the point I was when I tried to build the websites in Joomla without actually understanding it B)

Archived