Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Boy's 'military haircut' spurs suspension threat, outcry

Zguy28

Boy's 'military haircut' spurs suspension threat, outcry

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/03/27/school-threatens-suspension-boy-military-haircut/70531810/

A young boy's high and tight haircut meant to honor his soldier-stepbrother earned him the threat of suspension from an elementary school named for a Medal of Honor recipient, and the fallout from the incident has led a Tennessee school district to increase security measures.

Adam Stinnett went to Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary School in McMinnville, about a 90-minute drive southeast from Nashville, on March 9 sporting the new hairdo. His mother, Amy Stinnett, said he'd requested the high and tight to be more like Spc. Justin Bloodworth, his active-duty stepbrother.

Adam was written up by the principal, who thought the haircut was against school policy banning "mohawk haircuts or other extreme cuts."

Rest at link

I feel like we've had this hair discussion here before. Posters have said that school administraters have the ability to discipline students for anything that they feel distracts students from learning even if that includes military haircuts. For the record I don't necessarily agree with it but it is what it is.

I feel like we've had this hair discussion here before. Posters have said that school administraters have the ability to discipline students for anything that they feel distracts students from learning even if that includes military haircuts. For the record I don't necessarily agree with it but it is what it is.

When the interpretation of that rule means a kid can't have a standard military haircut, somethings wrong with the interpretation.

How does a "military" haircut distract students from learning?  Also, nowhere in that particular schools rules or the county's rules stated anything about having a particular hairstyle.  This was a personal bias from a principal who decided they would take a stand against this little boy's haircut, nothing more than political bullying.

Our country is becoming so politically correct, people are now afraid to have specific haircuts in school?  Seriously, this is rediculous.  Not to mention the school was named after a Navy War Hero (who gave his life to protect Marines standing next to him when a grenade was thrown in their vicinity) and this boy was doing something to honor his older brothers military service. 

it's one thing for the principal to contact the parents, i get that maybe the principal thought this violated the mohawk/extreme haircut rule. i would see it differently, but i understand maybe the principal has no idea what a military haircut is and is confused.

it's the continued stance of the principal after having the situation explained to him/her that is absurd.

it's one thing for the principal to contact the parents, i get that maybe the principal thought this violated the mohawk/extreme haircut rule. i would see it differently, but i understand maybe the principal has no idea what a military haircut is and is confused.

it's the continued stance of the principal after having the situation explained to him/her that is absurd.

I agree.  I hate when articles site "anonymous sources" but from the article below

I have also received correspondence from several sources who tell me the principal was simply caught between a rock and a hard place – implementing a policy that was already on the books. These sources also tell me the principal is a patriot – someone who supports the military and loves America.

In other words – it sounds as though the school district is throwing the principal under the bus for a rule that she had nothing to do with.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/26/school-named-after-war-hero-forces-child-to-shave-off-military-style-haircut/

I'm becoming increasingly grateful that I've already been through secondary/college education and didn't have to deal with this kind of BS.

Supposedly the point of these rules is to reduce distractions. Shocker that in enforcing the rules, bigger distractions are created than somebody's mohawk could ever create.

"All I really want is for the school and the school district to do a public apology.....

"Considering the military haircut as a distraction is basically saying that our Army is a distraction."

The army is damned distracting and saying otherwise is insulting to our men and women working hard to make things go boom! I demand an apology from this person who said otherwise!

These are minor issues that all these people should be ashamed they couldn't resolve on their own. One side behaves as if the haircut policy was delivered to the school system via mountain stone tablets. While the parent can't just relent in the issue of a haircut and petition for a change without all the hyperbole and media dramatics.

People act like Nurse Rached type administrators just recently spontaneously erupted out of some hidden common-core-seedpod somewhere.

people have been idiots for a loooong time, and some of those idiots have been in administration positions for almost as long... and people with agendas have been reporting on administrative idiots for just a little bit less long

(but recently they have been "blessed" with much louder megaphones...)

The army is damned distracting and saying otherwise is insulting to our men and women working hard to make things go boom! I demand an apology from this person who said otherwise!

These are minor issues that all these people should be ashamed they couldn't resolve on their own. One side behaves as if the haircut policy was delivered to the school system via mountain stone tablets. While the parent can't just relent in the issue of a haircut and petition for a change without all the hyperbole and media dramatics.

I agree with your premise, but I would argue that most of the times the school/school districts/etc ignore the issue until it hits the news/becomes a big deal.

Someone else said it above, but to me it just proves the whole zero tolerance zero common sense thing. 

The idea that a haircut or hairstyle "distracts learning" is laughable in itself.  I remember in high school everyone came to school basically dressed and styled however they wanted and the most reaction it got was some staring by other students for maybe 10 seconds before they went on with their day.

This is much more about authoritarian style rules than "distraction" 

I think zero tolerance comes from our inability to resolve any issues as adults. Everything turns into a point of principle, which later escalates into a lawsuit, so we need rules or dummies.

I just shows how much the human race is in need of grace.

zero tolerance applied stupidly by a school administrator?  Well I never....

I am also enjoying the immediate assumption that this was an "anti-military" decision.  

How can a high and tight haircut being deemed distracting not be construed as anti-military. What exactly is distracting about it? 

Stupid.  Kids in elementary school, which means he is most likely 10 years old or less.  It's not a ****ing mohawk and honestly, who gives a **** if it is?

So many REAL problems in this country and world we are suspending elementary school kids from sporting a high and tight or mohawks?  GTFO with that bull ****.

How can a high and tight haircut being deemed distracting not be construed as anti-military. What exactly is distracting about it? 

You can't see how this 635630387639044854-armyhaircut.jpg

could be deemed a mohawk? Which under the rules of the school and district they aren't allowed to have.

It isn't anti-military its a poor application of a questionable rule that some people decided would be a good way to rant against "PC" which has absolutely nothing to do with it. How this is national news is a mystery to me.

I also think it's ridiculous.  Mainly, because the things that draw attention after a half hour and certainly by the end of the day become normal and then no one is acting or reacting to it.  They're creating more of a fuss than the hair did. I feel pretty much the same about dress as well. Nothing wrong with a little individuality. It's only when we make things absolutely homogeneous that hair color or a t shirt becomes revolutionary. School is a place for experimentation.

Archived