Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bloodborne Thread - Strategy/Tips/etc.

Dont Taze Me Bro

Well, the long awaited Bloodborne has arrived.  I just picked up my copy and it's updating as we speak.  Looking forward to getting submerged into this game and having some fun.  

I thought it would be nice to post strategies, builds, tips, etc. and help each other when stuck.  Also, to organize co-op play.  If anyone is interested in running multiplayer co-op, post your gamer tag in here and best days/times you are available.

My gamer tag is:  DontTazeMeBroski

Hit me up if you want to.  I'll most likely play the first 2 or 3 times solo until I get a handle on the controls and game play.  I was talking to the clerk at Gamestop, he said he played for a couple of hours last night and endurance was the key stat as you have to dodge more since there are no shields (not sure if accurate).

Damn, no shields? Dunno how I feel about that. "Shields up" is like burned into my skull

Yeah man, if true I'm disappointed.  I'm hoping that is just early on.

Edit:  I just google'd it, they will have shields but it won't be like the Souls games where you can just sit there and block or you will die quickly.  Said they didn't want people to hide and wait but to be proactive and use the shield in their strategy.

Well from what I have read counter-attack is a way to regain health you have lost. So yes, this more an offensive gameplay style than a traditional Dark Souls defensive style.

I received my copy last night, but didn't have time to play. Will play for a couple hours tonight and come back with thoughts tomorrow. I plan to play a lot this weekend if anyone wants to jump on co-op and roll through this nightmare.

Reviews so far are pretty strong, but also says it is pretty difficult and says Co Op is a good way to go, but then I read that online co-op is not as simple as sending an invite to a friend and them jumping into the game? I guess you need specific in-game items to send invites or something? Hmmm....

I am still playing through Dying Light (which is really fun on co-op) and Evil Within.  Once I finish one of them I might pick up Bloodborne.

Doing some reading on multiplayer, it appears now that you can't just invade games at will, the person has to be able to be invaded.  You get a beckoning bell, small resonant bell and sinister resonant bell.

If a player uses a beckoning bell to summon a stranger to co-op with they open themselves up for possible invasion by another player that is using the sinister resonant bell.  So they don't know if they are getting help or someone wants to kill them.

more explained at this link from Kotaku.com website:  http://kotaku.com/a-helpful-guide-to-bloodbornes-confusing-multiplayer-op-1693582137

Hmmmmm, I'd rather just invade and wreck fools at will.  But I'll take what it gives me.

Reviews so far are pretty strong, but also says it is pretty difficult and says Co Op is a good way to go, but then I read that online co-op is not as simple as sending an invite to a friend and them jumping into the game? I guess you need specific in-game items to send invites or something? Hmmm....

I am still playing through Dying Light (which is really fun on co-op) and Evil Within.  Once I finish one of them I might pick up Bloodborne.

Yeah, to co-op with a friend it requires more steps than just using an item, which is silly imo, but it is what it is.

I picked the noble scion background and the threaded cane. The long range version is kinda like an Ivy from soul caliber bladed whip type thing. It has a C rated bonus that scales with skill so once I finally revived that doll I leveled it up a few times.

I haven't really needed endurance much. Im sure vitality would be useful though.

Just ran into the first boss. Got him down to 1/3 of his health but he killed me. He is rather angry lol

I picked the noble scion background and the threaded cane. The long range version is kinda like an Ivy from soul caliber bladed whip type thing. It has a C rated bonus that scales with skill so once I finally revived that doll I leveled it up a few times.

I haven't really needed endurance much. Im sure vitality would be useful though.

Just ran into the first boss. Got him down to 1/3 of his health but he killed me. He is rather angry lol

I got pwnd by some big ass thing at the bottom of the stairs, it wasn't the boss though.  Like some big ogre lol

Well, the long awaited Bloodborne has arrived.  I just picked up my copy and it's updating as we speak.  Looking forward to getting submerged into this game and having some fun.  

I thought it would be nice to post strategies, builds, tips, etc. and help each other when stuck.  Also, to organize co-op play.  If anyone is interested in running multiplayer co-op, post your gamer tag in here and best days/times you are available.

My gamer tag is:  DontTazeMeBroski

Hit me up if you want to.  I'll most likely play the first 2 or 3 times solo until I get a handle on the controls and game play.  I was talking to the clerk at Gamestop, he said he played for a couple of hours last night and endurance was the key stat as you have to dodge more since there are no shields (not sure if accurate).

If anyone is interested, we could set an Extremeskins password for Co-Op.  Say.........."Redskins"??

My PSN is Spiritus_Mundi.

Damn, no shields? Dunno how I feel about that. "Shields up" is like burned into my skull

I always played some form of sword and board in the Souls games so this has been quite an adjustment for me.  Of course, I made it more difficult on myself by going with the Waste of Skin origin.  I wanted maximum control over my character build but I'm paying the price for it.

I went with Cruel Fate. My weapons are the Hunter axe and Hunter pistol.

I can tell I am really going to like this game, but my is it hard. You need to build up your stats to really dominate.

Saw Cleaver and Hunters Blunderbuss ftw!  You need to dump your points into Vitality and Endurance early on.  Survivability is key so far.  Buy the Hunter's Set and upgrade your starting weapon ASAP.

I've only managed to get the Cleric Beast to 50% before running out of Blood Vials and getting wrecked.  Luckily, I finally unlocked the shortcut by the first Lantern so I can sprint back to him in 10 seconds.  Now, I need to make a few loops, farming Blood Echoes so I can get my Vitality and Endurance up a bit more.

Yes, I was reading that you can limit co-op with a password. I would be down for that. Especially in the beginning.

I am just ready to get out of work and put in a few hours tonight. I need the weekend really to do some damage.

I want to like this game...but someone please explain to a noob to the DS series such as myself, why i should care about this Chinese water torture of a game.

I'm a pretty hardcore gamer who likes a stern, oldskool challenge. I have swiftly dispatched all the various Ninja Gaiden iterations. Yet, i find myself perturbed even more than i ever was when forcing myself to soldier on in the first 3 versions of Resident Evil.

i simply find myself after a few hours of gameplay wondering why i should care to become an expert video game camera man, or why i should have to time every strike around a drudgingly laborious animation, or why i now have to not only sit through an unconscionably long load time before i can begin to DO EVERYTHING I JUST ****ING DID ALL OVER AGAIN FOR THE 78TH TIME!?!?!? but that i must do so for so little reward.

Playing Diablo on Torment III isn't even remotely close to this emotionally devastating. I mean...hooray for challenge, but i just have serious trouble thinking of this game as anything other than work. It's the chore nobody really wants to do, & generally only gets done by way of threat or as its own form of punishment.

I know that with (very much) time that i can learn it & get good enough to where the difficulty is no longer a burden...i just don't see much telling me why it is then worth my while.

Don't get me wrong....i want to like this game...& the perspective of its context is not lost on me. On the contrary...i still applaud From Software for sticking to a principle & remaining steadfast in spite of marked criticism...but i just don't have the energy, time, or motive to keep me unrelenting in my pursuit of great gaming experiences in spite of poorlg contrived gameplay mechanics that force one to become legendary at typically non-essential gaming skills.

I'm not even saying that it's not a good game...but at this stage i am finding it difficult (at best) to enjoy.

Sidenote*** i worked on RE4, & a few other games with similar ideologies in mind. We used to write up every build of RE with a bug that read: camera...not fun....makes game seem scary in moments when it is really just extremely, & unnecessarily impossible to control. Please fix or risk ridicule & disgust from gamers the world over. Eventually they scrapped the old "masocamera" as we called it, & went with a much more enjoyable iso-cam that did what a camera should & allowed gamers to focus on the fun parts.

Anyways...my whole point is that i find myself fighting tooth & nail against the mechanics of the game & its frustrating foibles, rather than simply enjoying all that the world of Yarnham has to offer.

Please...tell me why i shouldn't just take it back & bide the time before ESOnline comes out with MKX, or FIFA 15, or NHL 15.

Bloodborne...while undoubtedly riddled with challenge & difficulty, has become something of a chore that my parents would punish me with as opposed to anything one might be even slightly be interested in of their own accord.

Maybe the game isn't for you.  I absolutely love the Soul games.  I haven't bought a PS4 yet, but this game is making me tempted to do so.  I'm not sure what you mean by "expert video game camera man".   Is messing with the camera some new mechanic they added or something?

I do agree that a challenge vs. a chore is big It can be a fine line.. Some games whether it be unforgiving lack of save points or an abundance of tedious things you need to do to get past specific areas can make the game feel more like a chore than a rewarding challenge.

Nemocystem - It sounds like you already answered your own questions.  Doesn't sound like this game is for you and there is nothing anyone of us can say that will "convince you to play".  The Souls games are extremely difficult and unforgiving.  You either like them or you don't.  

It's not like other games, there isn't any "middle ground" where after you get to a certain point you are sucked in and all of the sudden loving the game.  It's hard as **** from the get go and through the entire game until the end.  Sure, going back through it after you know how to do everything is easier, but getting there will not be. 

I'd trade it in now or sell it to a friend while its hot and 3 days old and you can recoup close to 100% of your money.  

Edit:  I hope my reply didn't come across as jerkish, that was not my intent.  Through years of gaming and life in general, typically if someone has that many issues with something (myself included) they probably should go with their gut feeling.  Cause continuation will most likely lead you to more complaints and an even worse experience.  

While I haven't played Bloodborne yet, I've beaten the other three Soul games.  The reason why I liked those games is because I found progressing through the game rewarding.  When I made it to a new zone, it felt like an accomplishment.

You just have to have patience and learn the zone layout.  For example, if there is an enemy hidden behind a corner, he'll always be behind that corner, so if you die the first time you run into him due to surprise, you'll learn or figure out the best way to deal with him when you return to that corner.  If there is a trap at a spot, the trap will always be at that spot, so you'll learn to avoid that spot when you walk through there again.  Don't be scared or frustrated to die.  Just accept the fact that you will die during the game. 

I'm not sure how the leveling is in Bloodborne, but the other games you used souls collected to level stats.  Don't hoard souls before venturing into unfamiliar territory.  The boss fights have patterns.  Once these patterns are learned, the fights become easier.  If you find yourself stuck, you can always go to youtube and watch a boss fight.  Also, learn what the stats do and what stats fit your style the best.  In the other games, you can increase the power of your weapons with mats and a blacksmith.  I'm not sure how one powers up their weapons in Bloodborne, but I would learn how to upgrade weapons asap.

Edit:  I hope my reply didn't come across as jerkish, that was not my intent.  Through years of gaming and life in general, typically if someone has that many issues with something (myself included) they probably should go with their gut feeling.  Cause continuation will most likely lead you to more complaints and an even worse experience.  

Even though this wasn't addressed to me, I would say it didn't come off jerk-ish at all. I prefer to be informed of exactly what I am getting into and you did just that. Much appreciated.

I will say from everything I have read the most difficult part is getting through the beginning part and through the first boss. You can't level up until after this point. It will take some time to learn the flow of the game and get a feel for your timing on strikes.

I love it. I am having so much fun even when I have to repeat an area. I will say the best move for fights is dodge a strike and get behind the character with a roll. Most will drop with one blow to the back.

After only play about 30 minutes on Wednesday I went back and redid my character last night. Read cruel fate was a rough way to start and I don't consider myself an expert gamer. I went with Military Veteran and still using the Hunter Axe. I know some think it is slow, but I love it. The two handed full power strike can take out a whole group with one swing. You just have to time it right of course.

I always tell newcomers to the series that you have to be methodical and deliberate with every move/decision.  Impatience is almost always rewarded with 'You Died'.  Pay attention to the environment and use it to your advantage.  The levels are a kind of primer for the boss that lies in wait.  Do you frequently get Molotov ****tail drops from mobs in an area?  That area's boss (ie: Cleric Beast) is likely going to be highly susceptible to fire damage.  Do you keep getting Antidote drops?  Expect poisonous enemies/boss.  Look for shortcuts.  The levels wrap around on themselves and if you find a shortcut it's because you, the player, is now skilled enough to bypass earlier sections of an area.  The game doesn't require you to reach some arbitrary number to determine you're now worthy of progressing.  Just watch some of the Soul Level 1 challenge runs on Youtube.  That **** is bananas!

yeah...i don't mean to come off as hating the game.  i want to like it....i have a hard time believing that so many hardcore gamers can love a bad game.  though it does happen on occasion.  i just find a lot of the difficulty to be based on contrived gameplay mechanics rather than anything truly requiring mastery or skill. 

i am more than ok with extreme difficulty (see: Ikaruga/Ninja Gaiden to name a couple)...i'm just not a fan of it being based on gameplay that's meant to stifle the gamer.  i mentioned the RE camera because it was basically a bug that they left as is because it forced you to account for the new control layout each time you entered a room.  this inadvertently added to the tension & shock value for their games.  it's the only reason they left it in for so long despite their testers & gamers alike, complaining about its bugginess for years.  in the end...they felt that it made the game more of what they wanted it to be...even if it served to annoy more people than it pleased.  there are still people that, to this day, will defend the RE camera mechanics...& to each his own, i guess, but it's just not fun.

i find the camera mechanics to be slightly less annoying than RE, but still something of a neusance.  i recognize there are skills i must get better at like target locking for instance.  i also understand that perhaps starting out on Cruel Fate may not be in my best interest.  so i am open to suggestions there. 

i am willing to give this the ol' college try, so i'm not ready to accept defeat.  i'm just trying to glean from DS experts what are my reasons beyond shoddy mechanics, & the deep sigh of relief after getting through a stage, that i should really dive into the task (yes, it's definitely a task) of getting good enough at this game to enjoy it.

i want to like it...i even pre-ordered DS2 for the PS4 because my eyes have been opened.  i am also very anxious to see how much better the experience gets after From releases the first patch that is supposed to reduce the load times almost 60%. 

don't get me wrong...i'm not someone who's coming in trying to crash the DS genre party.  i'm trying to understand what takes it beyond just a niche fix like one who cuts or burns themselves for temporary satisfaction.  i jest....but really...i'm not even disenchanted yet...it just became extremely clear to me right away that this game is more work than i had initially prepared for, & i want to see the light at the end of the tunnel before i decide to pass the point of no return, so to speak.

i am willing to give this the ol' college try, so i'm not ready to accept defeat.  i'm just trying to glean from DS experts what are my reasons beyond shoddy mechanics, & the deep sigh of relief after getting through a stage, that i should really dive into the task (yes, it's definitely a task) of getting good enough at this game to enjoy it.

Now I haven't played Bloodborne yet, but from what I understand, it's basically the same style of game as Dark Souls.  Here's the issue.  The mechanics aren't shoddy, at least in the Souls games they aren't.  In fact, the mechanics are very crisp and very precise.  These games aren't like the hack n' slash games like Devil May Cry and God of War.  You have to pay attention to every monster you come across.  You have to focus in on their swings and roll out of the way or you'll get smacked hard.  You have to have patience.  You have to learn the game.  You have to tame it basically.  All the mobs have unique attack patterns.  Nothing is really random in these Soul games.  Enemies always spawn in the same spot.  They always have the same attack patterns.  As you learn the environment, the environment will become easier to go through. 

I am concerned about how Sony is using Bloodborne as one of the games they are promoting hard and trying to make mainstream, because there's a lot of players who've never played the Souls games before and don't understand what they're getting into.  My concerns are the new players are going nerd rage and bring on some unprecedented nerfs and ruin what makes the franchise so special.

Archived