Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico: GOP leaders to skip Selma event

Burgold

Scores of U.S. lawmakers are converging on tiny Selma, Alabama, for a large commemoration of a civil rights anniversary. But their ranks don’t include a single member of House Republican leadership — a point that isn’t lost on congressional black leaders.

None of the top leaders — House Speaker John Boehner, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy or Majority Whip Steve Scalise, who was once thought likely to attend to atone for reports that he once spoke before a white supremacist group — will be in Selma for the three-day event that commemorates the 1965 march and the violence that protesters faced at the hands of white police officers. A number of rank-and-file Republicans have been aggressively lobbying their colleagues to attend, and several black lawmakers concurred.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/gop-leaders-to-skip-selma-event-115801.html#ixzz3Tbl6YPK5

Sometimes, you send a message by speaking and other times by acting.

I don't think it's as much of a "gotcha".

This is a really important event, especially since the Republican platform plans to include a more minority-based agenda (says Reince), yet their party is seeking to make voting harder for minorities.

It would look good for someone in leadership to be there.  But they keep forgetting to back up their lies.  ;)

Sorta like when Obama didn't attend the Charlie Ebdo march, huh? 

Do as I say. Not as I do.

Given recent GOP efforts in the voting arena and the anniversary in Selma is also a celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the Voters Rights Act it seems a bad PR move esp. given how Republicans continue to be seen when it comes to race relations.

I do think Kilme has made a good point.

I think it's much more relevant to condemn the GOP for successfully throwing out part of the Voting Rights Act, because it was standing in the way of their voter suppression program, than for attending, or not, a staged political event.

I don't understand the political downside of going, or the political upside of not going. I'm not complaining that the GoP House leadership is getting bad press. I just don't see the motivation behind not going. Is it because they don't want to be seen as courting black votes by their white base? If so, I understand a decision based on that. But I hope that isn't it.

I think it's much more relevant to condemn the GOP for successfully throwing out part of the Voting Rights Act, because it was standing in the way of their voter suppression program, than for attending, or not, a staged political event.

It's a good point, but symbolism does matter in politics. Kissing babies has been important since they invented babies. Moreover, at a time where the GOP is once again facing heat because of how they deal with race related issues in voting, in police violence, in education, etc. and they at least voice the complaint that African Americans and Latinos should come into their tent... their real and symbolic actions count. 

I mean if you can't even be bothered to do the symbolic stuff and you're screwing people over in your bills... then the GOP's mascot may no longer an elephant, but a duck.

equal under the law ....now

The GOP helped free more people yet again. :)

Does EVERY GOP politician need to attend?  Is EVERY Democrat politician attending?

Is EVERY Dem Congressman and Senator who skipped Netanyahu's speech an anti-Semite?

Just stop with the petty bull****.  Maybe Boehner has a neice getting married this weekend.  He's not there.  His loss.  It doesn't mean anything other than that.

Larry's right.  Lets have policy debates.  Let's talk issues. 

Does EVERY GOP politician need to attend?  Is EVERY Democrat politician attending?

Is EVERY Dem Congressman and Senator who skipped Netanyahu's speech an anti-Semite?

Just stop with the petty bull****.  Maybe Boehner has a neice getting married this weekend.  He's not there.  His loss.  It doesn't mean anything other than that.

Larry's right.  Lets have policy debates.  Let's talk issues. 

Good counter mock outrage :)

Not everyone, but one Republican in a leadership position would be nice.

Eh, there's probably a political motivation behind it. There usually is. I can't figure it out though.

Regardless, I don't think the GoP is all that serious about courting the black vote. The status quo on the black vote works for both parties. The GoP will spend a little money to try and establish the party's brand in black communities but it's a token effort. They will never win the black vote no matter how much they spend and they know this.

Do you have the complete list of people attending and not attending?

Other than the 3 people mentioned here, I have no idea what every other politicians plans are for this weekend. 

Sure, here's the full list of Republican attendees.

Republicans confirmed to attend at Selma:

That's it.  A little unsatisfying isn't it.

this is why i didn't make a bit deal about the charlie ebdo thing

because when you start going down this road the only place you end up is hypocritesville

it is fun watching opinions change with wind direction though

Sure, here's the full list of Republican attendees.

Republicans confirmed to attend at Selma:

That's it.  A little unsatisfying isn't it.

So you're claim is that NO REPUBLICAN is going to attend the Selma celebration?

Really?

this is why i didn't make a bit deal about the charlie ebdo thing

because when you start going down this road the only place you end up is hypocritesville

it is fun watching opinions change with wind direction though

Oh

So you're claim is that NO REPUBLICAN is going to attend the Selma celebration?

Really?

Well, none that count by GOP standards. :silly:

After all, the Ambassador and several other Obama Administration folks did show up at the march, but that was deemed insufficient and irrelevant. 

As Tshille said (paraphrasing) live by the sword. Die by the sword.

Edit: Besides, they're much more likely to still be protesting MLK Jr. Day becoming a national holiday.

Exactly

That was exactly my point.

Agreed. Its dumber than the American Flag pin that they all wear (made in China). Like that makes you more Patriotic. There is nothing that will make me think guys like Ted Cruz or Rubio are more Patriotic than McCain or Kerry or other guys who served. 

[The GOP] will never win the black vote no matter how much they spend and they know this.

Oh, they could. Well, maybe not "win the black vote", but at least make it a whole lot less of a guaranteed Dem 95% vote.

Just stop demonizing them and openly courting the racist vote.

But it would cost them in the short run. (Because they need the racist vote.) And it wouldn't loosen the Dem's control for decades.

Oh

Well, none that count by GOP standards. :silly:

After all, the Ambassador and several other Obama Administration folks did show up at the march, but that was deemed insufficient and irrelevant. 

As Tshille said (paraphrasing) live by the sword. Die by the sword.

Edit: Besides, they're much more likely to still be protesting MLK Jr. Day becoming a national holiday.

And the leftwing got red in the face mad screaming that yes those people WERE sufficient and relevant.  And now, the tables have turned.

And in VA, it was Democrats in the legislature and Chuck Robb as Governor who forced MLK day into the merger with Lee-Jackson day, and it was a Republican Governor who split them apart finally. 

Archived