Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MLive: Treetops Resorts says damages by U-M fraternity, sorority now trump $430,000

China

Treetops Resorts says damages by U-M fraternity, sorority now trump $430,000

After an initial estimate stated that a University of Michigan fraternity and sorority caused roughly $100,000 in damages at Treetop Resorts during a January ski trip, the resort's management team is now claiming that the destruction total has climbed to nearly $430,000.

In an interview with The Ann Arbor News, Susan Wilcox Olson, a spokesperson for Treetops, said the new total includes fees for lost income, potential profit loss, and brand damage, among other things.

Barry Owens, the general manager of Treetops, said that a representative from Sigma Alpha Mu, the fraternity who  admitted to causing substantial damage at the resort, has conveyed to Treetops that the fraternity won't make full restitution, despite previous promises to do so.

"The destruction done to Treetops Resort by University of Michigan fraternity and sorority students in mid-January is now near or beyond $430,000. While an investigation is ongoing, the university has stated that they expect the students who are responsible to make full restitution to Treetops for the damages," Owens said.  

"It also has become evident that the fraternity representatives have suggested that they are unwilling to pay for the damage that they caused the resort."

Click on the link for the full article

I have two thoughts.

1 - As a responsible productive member of society I can't help but to be disgusted by those photos. What kind of sick twisted people would intentionally do that kind of damage? Throw the book at them!

2 - Must have been a hell of a party.

I have two thoughts.

1 - As a responsible productive member of society I can't help but to be disgusted by those photos. What kind of sick twisted people would intentionally do that kind of damage? Throw the book at them!

2 - Must have been a hell of a party.

Don't forget, they will soon be productive members of society

This is obviously unacceptable behavior. However am I the only one not seeing $100K in damages as the original estimate says, let alone four times that amount? Maybe there's more damage not shown in these pictures, but to me it mostly looks like a lot of broken crockery and damage to ceiling tiles. I'm not sure about the first picture in the series though. Was that some kind of shed that was demolished, or is it just debris that they pulled out of the building?

The other thing that I find interesting is why were the police not called and no criminal charges filed during the time of this was going on? Couldn't something like this be considered vandalism or something?

This is obviously unacceptable behavior. However am I the only one not seeing $100K in damages as the original estimate says, let alone four times that amount? Maybe there's more damage not shown in these pictures, but to me it mostly looks like a lot of broken crockery and damage to ceiling tiles. I'm not sure about the first picture in the series though. Was that some kind of shed that was demolished, or is it just debris that they pulled out of the building?

The other thing that I find interesting is why were the police not called and no criminal charges filed during the time of this was going on? Couldn't something like this be considered vandalism or something?

Gotta factor in union costs ;)

They are factoring in lost revenue during repairs. The first photo was all the destroyed furnishing piled up outside in the snow. My guess is that the resort declared it a "total loss" and just ripped everything out and started over. No sense trying to find years old replacement parts. Rip out the cabinets and counter, replace with higher-end cabinets and stone countertops, and redo all flooring. Add in furnishings, lost income, and "damages" and you can easily get to $400k+. Every day they aren't open is "lost revenue."

They are factoring in lost revenue during repairs. The first photo was all the destroyed furnishing piled up outside in the snow. My guess is that the resort declared it a "total loss" and just ripped everything out and started over. No sense trying to find years old replacement parts. Rip out the cabinets and counter, replace with higher-end cabinets and stone countertops, and redo all flooring. Add in furnishings, lost income, and "damages" and you can easily get to $400k+. Every day they aren't open is "lost revenue."

51496194.jpg

And there it is. My very own strawberry milk and a mop moment.  :wacko:

As a football fan whose attended a lot of games both college and pros, and a proud fraternity alumnus; I won't underestimate the power of a mob's mentality when it's being fueled by testosterone and alcohol. Fortunately, I've never encountered a desperate mob, which would be a lot more scary. 

That being said, the pics are obviously from a few days after the fact. I doubt those frat dicks would have had the courtesy to have neatly dumped the furniture in a pile outside. Everything else alleged, and pictured, seems feasible to me.

The resort will file suit for $400, settle for $200, and probably collect $150 to put toward renovations that appeared due before the fratasticness took a hold. jmo 

When you go public like that, it's basically the opening bid to the negotiation of how much one side is gonna pay. Both sides have insurance companies that are going to square off. 

No one is saying anything about the sorority here...I noticed who it was and laughed because we had a chapter of that sorority at my college, and my fraternity used to do coed naked beer slides with them at our house...lol. I think that sorority has a thing for destruction as well..maybe they're sirens...

Ahh, you've been to Ann Arbor, I see.

He's been to Morgantown.

WVU has had a wonderful profit-making side business since at least the 70s in allowing the ne'er do well second sons and daughters of affluent New Jersey families drink in Morgantown for six or seven years at remarkably inflated prices. In the end, a degree may be provided. Or not. Whatever. As long as the check cleared.

What amazes me is the I've met several of these New Jerseyites in my life and they've never been particularly shy in admitting what they are doing.

He's been to Morgantown.

WVU has had a wonderful profit-making side business since at least the 70s in allowing the ne'er do well second sons and daughters of affluent New Jersey families drink in Morgantown for six or seven years at remarkably inflated prices. In the end, a degree may be provided. Or not. Whatever. As long as the check cleared.

What amazes me is the I've met several of these New Jerseyites in my life and they've never been particularly shy in admitting what they are doing.

correct, sir.

i've also been to a few other places, and wvu doesn't seem to be the only institution engaged in this side business.

Archived