Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anti-Obamacare Sheriff Now Swimming in Medical Debt; Asks Internet for Help, Liberals Come to Aid - AATP

Mad Mike

Well done, sir. My stepdaughter re-newed her policy from the exchange,(she's an MA), and managed to get more coverage for just a little more than what she paid last year.

Yeah, she's a dumbass for the bigger part, but she's gone full tilt with help for insurance & her taxes this year.

Thank God she listened to something.

C'mon, sheriff. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

In all seriousness though, I don't wish major illness (or the crazy medical debt it can incur) on anyone, no matter how much I disagree with them or dislike them (or they dislike me). Hope he gets better and perhaps this will give him a bit more perspective.

One note...some of the comments from liberals who are donating are great. However, some of them are really nasty. I'd rather people be a bit less stupid...it only makes their donation seem petty and spiteful instead off trying to help someone live.

One note...some of the comments from liberals who are donating are great. However, some of them are really nasty. I'd rather people be a bit less stupid...it only makes their donation seem petty and spiteful instead off trying to help someone live.

But if they hadn't cheered for a person with no insurance to be "allowed to die" during the debates of 2008, we'd have some compassion.

I'll let every Republican who spits vitriol at my POTUS about the need for everyone to be on the same level medical playing field do the same.

But if they hadn't cheered for a person with no insurance to be "allowed to die" during the debates of 2008, we'd have some compassion.

I'll let every Republican who spits vitriol at my POTUS about the need for everyone to be on the same level medical playing field do the same.

Totally understand that and that horrified me as well. But its one of those "do you really want to sink to that level" things for me. I'd rather hope that he gains some perspective on his warped beliefs from this experience than spit vitriol at him while giving him money. Like I said, IMO, it just makes the donation seem petty. 

Totally understand that and that horrified me as well. But its one of those "do you really want to sink to that level" things for me. I'd rather hope that he gains some perspective on his warped beliefs from this experience than spit vitriol at him while giving him money. Like I said, IMO, it just makes the donation seem petty.

I said "Republicans who spit vitriol at my POTUS". I'm not in that crowd.

And I'm not donating, so there's that.

But I'm not heartless, just pointing out who is, and "why cry now"? He chose. Wrongly. It happens.

And I feel for anyone without coverage, but I can't feel sorry for folks who freaked out over "let's just cover everyone & figure it out", then refused to get covered. We've got a looooonnnnnngggg way to go on this, and I know I'm on the right side (or left, whichever, LOL).

I said "Republicans who spit vitriol at my POTUS". I'm not in that crowd.

And I'm not donating, so there's that.

But I'm not heartless, just pointing out who is, and "why cry now"? He chose. Wrongly. It happens.

And I feel for anyone without coverage, but I can't feel sorry for folks who freaked out over "let's just cover everyone & figure it out", then refused to get covered. We've got a looooonnnnnngggg way to go on this, and I know I'm on the right side (or left, whichever, LOL).

Lol, as if ACA helped with anything. It's funny what people will believe.

Clearly, you were never faced a serious medical issue without insurance. It could break even well to do people, but frankly, it's this level of callousness that got the sheriff and the others under water in the first place.

Let them eat cake, huh?

Clearly, you were never faced a serious medical issue without insurance. It could break even well to do people, but frankly, it's this level of callousness that got the sheriff and the others under water in the first place.

Let them eat cake, huh?

Unless you are completely broke, you're stuck with high deductible plan, which basically means you're exactly where you started.

The problem is a system that ties employment to healthcare in the first place.

Unless you are completely broke, you're stuck with high deductible plan, which basically means you're exactly where you started.

The problem is a system that ties employment to healthcare in the first place.

Are they broke? This whole thing is just weird. From another article I found on it.

"Because they are self-employed, they have no medical insurance and are in desperate need of our assistance," reads a note on Mack's personal website."

Huh? What do those two things have to do with each other? Self employed people can't buy health insurance? If they really do make too little money to afford health insurance then the ACA certainly would help them. And if they DO have enough money but decided to not buy insurance for whatever reason, then the ACA still helps them because they can get it without the pre-existing conditions issue. So why don't they either buy health insurance or get help if they don't make enough money? I REALLY hope he isn't putting ideology ahead of his own life. That would just be plain old idiotic and a dick move seeing as how he has kids. 

No, it's not. It's simply delaying the inevitable and putting more money in the pockets of insurance companies.

Yeah Mike, stop telling people that you know about your own life!

No, it's not. It's simply delaying the inevitable and putting more money in the pockets of insurance companies.

Wow. I'm so glad you know so much about me, my medical history, and my current condition that you feel qualified to tell me what is best for me. 

Honestly If I said what I'm thinking right now I would be banned for life. But since you know so much about me you can probably figure it out.

What? It helped me with three hospital visits last year. Without coverage I would have owed close to twenty grand. Instead it cost around two grand. So,,, yeah...

See his response to Mike. You're wrong. You don't know what you're talking about when it comes to your own life.

So yes, Clietas would owe $20K and he'd probably be paying that back to some entity. Some hospitals are nice and let you do installment payments, plus interest—so in this scenario the hospital is still getting the money. Or he could put it on a credit card, so the CC company is making the money now. 

One way or another, hospital, credit card co, or insurance co are getting paid. But, in this scenario, Clietas got treatment and has a manageable amount of debt to show for it. He can get on with his life without medical debt being a huge millstone around his neck.

But, go ahead, talk details instead of abstract "you don't even know what's going on". Would love to hear it. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the response is, "I could explain it, but y'all are sheeple and wouldn't believe me anyway so why should I waste my breath?"

Lol, as if ACA helped with anything. It's funny what people will believe.

We'll see how many people it's helped if as I hope SCOTUS rules against the Federal exchanges. If that happens, there will be 5+ million really P.O.'d people because they'll no longer be getting the non-existent help they fooled themselves into believing they were getting. Likewise, there will be many hospital closures that could result due to all the non-existent dollars they fooled themselves into believing they were getting as a result of having more insured patients.

If that happens, maybe it will heighten awareness of exactly how many uninsured people are being helped by ACA. And if we lose a few hospitals in rural areas, most of which wouldn't even exist without being propped up by the Feds, that's just icing on the cake. They asked for "let 'em die" I say give 'em what they asked for. Maybe when they realize that "them" really means "us" they'll figure things out.

What? It helped me with three hospital visits last year. Without coverage I would have owed close to twenty grand. Instead it cost around two grand. So,,, yeah...

The ACA only delaying your inevitable death. Just hurry up and die you moocher. [/sarc]

We'll see how many people it's helped if as I hope SCOTUS rules against the Federal exchanges. If that happens, there will be 5+ million really P.O.'d people because they'll no longer be getting the non-existent help they fooled themselves into believing they were getting. Likewise, there will be many hospital closures that could result due to all the non-existent dollars they fooled themselves into believing they were getting as a result of having more insured patients.

If that happens, maybe it will heighten awareness of exactly how many uninsured people are being helped by ACA. And if we lose a few hospitals in rural areas, most of which wouldn't even exist without being propped up by the Feds, that's just icing on the cake. They asked for "let 'em die" I say give 'em what they asked for. Maybe when they realize that "them" really means "us" they'll figure things out.

As one of those people who would be screwed, let me just say that morally your position is no better than republicans if you think of those people as pawns in your political game.

It's helped me in that i have coverage that i have not had in 18 years.

People say you have to make choices, and I did,, i chose to save for my son's education over m own health insurance.

What a choice. Get your next generation off to a competitive start or have insurance for yourself.

Now I can afford it. My deductible isn't great, but it's not so much that i will be broke if i break my leg or have a catastrophic illness.

I can only wonder what would have happened if the single payer option was not carved out of it.

As to the sheriff..  hopefully those around him who spout the same rhetoric can see it and learn from his plight, although i would not bet on it.

~Bang

So yes, Clietas would owe $20K and he'd probably be paying that back to some entity. Some hospitals are nice and let you do installment payments, plus interest—so in this scenario the hospital is still getting the money. Or he could put it on a credit card, so the CC company is making the money now. 

One way or another, hospital, credit card co, or insurance co are getting paid. But, in this scenario, Clietas got treatment and has a manageable amount of debt to show for it. He can get on with his life without medical debt being a huge millstone around his neck.

But, go ahead, talk details instead of abstract "you don't even know what's going on". Would love to hear it. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the response is, "I could explain it, but y'all are sheeple and wouldn't believe me anyway so why should I waste my breath?"

I wish in reality it was only twenty grand. Since 2005 its more like $120K+. I could never afford such a bill. Im fortunate enough that my family could. Without them I would be completely screwed.

Archived