Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Different kind of "Babe" Playoff - Who/which is more beautiful?

Riggo-toni

Renaissance Paintings  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most beautiful/captivating painting/woman

• La Gioconda (Mona Lisa) by DaVinci
    • The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Vermeer
    • Birth of the Venus by Boticelli
    • Venus of Urbino by Tiziano (Titian)
    • Other - please specify. Modern paintings are excluded from consideration

La Gioconda (aka the Mona Lisa) is the most popular/recognized painting in the world.  In my opinion, it's also perhaps the most overrated.  In fairness to DaVinci's genius, oils were just being introduced during his era, and many of his reputedly greatest works degraded within decades because he was experimented with what turned out to be long-term incompatible media (oil over tempura, for example).  His Last Supper, made famous by the DaVinci Code novel, is an extraordinary work.

Anyway, here are some other paintings of women from roughly the same time period.  Which one do you love best?

Boticelli's Birth of the Venus

botticelli.jpg

Here's a closeup of the face:

Botticelli%20-%20Venus%20Face.jpg

Vermeer's The Girl with the Pearl Earring

Jan_Vermeer_van_Delft_007.jpg

La Gioconda (Mona Lisa)

joconde.jpeg

Titian's Venus of Urbino (since it's a nude, I'm just putting a link here rather than posting the pic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Tiziano_-_Venere_di_Urbino_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg/1280px-Tiziano_-_Venere_di_Urbino_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

19th century and 20th century doesn't count for this thread.  Up to 17th only.

I love the Vermeer.  It's a tough choice for me between that one and the Boticelli.  I haven't seen the Vermeer in person, but I've seen the Boticelli up close at the Uffizi and loved it.  By the way, when it comes to art museums, I'd take the Uffizi, the Vatican (if one includes both the museum and the chapels), and the Prado over the Louvre.

You think you've heard it all, and then somebody says Mona Lisa looks like a transsexual. Help me please lol

She is certainly not some next level sexy, and could be questionable.

I guess the thick and thin brows rotate, same as other fashion.

The first pic has the best outfit so she wins.

19th century and 20th century doesn't count for this thread.  Up to 17th only.

I love the Vermeer.  It's a tough choice for me between that one and the Boticelli.  I haven't seen the Vermeer in person, but I've seen the Boticelli up close at the Uffizi and loved it.  By the way, when it comes to art museums, I'd take the Uffizi, the Vatican (if one includes both the museum and the chapels), and the Prado over the Louvre.

Titian deserves mention.....I envy you since I don't get out enough

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/titian/magdalen.jpg

Thanks, yet somehow a thread debating the color of some ugly dress is getting a lot more traction than a debate over artistic masterpieces of the late renaissance. Sigh......

I voted for the Vermeer. She's pretty. Plus the black and blue headscarf thing really brings out her eyes.

Mona became famous not so much for the sitter as the background. The use of atmospherics and going dark to light was revolutionary.

Interestingly, I've read historical records which really suggests Leonardo was ADD

My mother hung a copy opposite my door, usually the 1st face I saw for two decades....I still feel her eyes on me (shudder)

My mother hung a copy opposite my door, usually the 1st face I saw for two decades....I still feel her eyes on me (shudder)

I love that old artist's trick.

How it works is that if you put one pupil center and one off to the side it creates the illusion that the eyes are following you around the room. It's actually pretty simple to pull off, but very effective and makes your painting more lifelike.

I voted for the Vermeer. She's pretty. Plus the black and blue headscarf thing really brings out her eyes.

Vermeer was a spectacular artist, and a brilliant colorist.  No doubt the headscarf was deliberate for just that reason.  One thing I love about his technique is the way he applies muliple translucent layers of gloss to get a sort of soft focus effect.  Works incredibly on that girl's lips, and was really perfected in The Woman with the Red Hat.

Thanks, yet somehow a thread debating the color of some ugly dress is getting a lot more traction than a debate over artistic masterpieces of the late renaissance. Sigh......

lets see... the question you have posed has had a stream of continuous debate for centuries, and will continue to be debated for centuries to come.....

.. but you are wringing your hands because *thisweek* some fad has people interested?  

(and at least that fad is an interesting question-- why the hell DO people see such drastically different things?? --- most weekly fad questions are along the lines of whether the 3rd most popular member of one direction likes strawberry or vanilla ice cream  )

Women's bodies always seem to change over the centuries while men's stay about the same

Great thread btw

c7994a570433cbaccee0899b6d0b54eb3a9cb0d3

Archived