Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DHS Funding Fight

Fergasun

lol, yes

The only national elections we have are Presidential elections. Immigration certainly played no part int he NC elections we just had. Not for the Senate race or any of the house races. Good try though.

Regardless, I don't think shutting down DHS does the GOP any good in the short term either. POTUS response is to say, pass the immigration bill that had bi-partisan support in the Senate last year.

The only national elections we have are Presidential elections. Immigration certainly played no part int he NC elections we just had. Not for the Senate race or any of the house races. Good try though.

Uh, wrong. Last year was considered a national election. Or, more precisely, last year was considered a general election for the nation.

Uh, wrong. Last year was considered a national election. Or, more precisely, last year was considered a general election for the nation.

Whatever you say. The voting dynamics of a Presidential election are far different than midterms. Republicans had their chance to beat Obama and they didn't do it. Plain and simple. Why didn't they do that? Cause an actual national election is different from voting in off years.

The GOP is stupid in this particular case.  Instead of making this about Immigration and getting the people behind that, they have made it about not funding the government.  Not funding the Gov't means the GOP will lose.

Why can't the GOP simply pass an immigration bill and force Obama to Veto it?  That will put the blame on Obama and something the presidential candidates can run on.

All I hear is talk talk talk.  Pass some immigration reform, pass some Obamacare repeal.  Stop worrying about abortion and other less important issues that will only get the GOP in trouble with the general population come next election.

Whatever you say. The voting dynamics of a Presidential election are far different than midterms. Republicans had their chance to beat Obama and they didn't do it. Plain and simple. Why didn't they do that? Cause an actual national election is different from voting in off years.

Wow, no kidding huh. Glad you seem to know everything except that there is no such thing as a "national election"

The fact of the matter is that GOP effectively shut the government down in 2013, and won the largest majority they've had since 1929 in the next election.

The GOP is stupid in this particular case.  Instead of making this about Immigration and getting the people behind that, they have made it about not funding the government.  Not funding the Gov't means the GOP will lose.

Why can't the GOP simply pass an immigration bill and force Obama to Veto it?  That will put the blame on Obama and something the presidential candidates can run on.

They could, but they probably think too many people won't care about an immigration bill not passing, but think people will be outraged by a defense bill not passing.

All I hear is talk talk talk.  Pass some immigration reform, pass some Obamacare repeal.  Stop worrying about abortion and other less important issues that will only get the GOP in trouble with the general population come next election.

Except there is a sizeable population of their constituency that wants the government decreased in size and spending, and not by a small amount. Except military because freedoms and stuff.

GOP is at a weird crossroads. They've got a significant part of their establishment that recognize that the only way they can hope to maintain revelance longterm is to try to embrace certain minority voter segments, hispanics being a key demographic that will continue to grow in the next several decades. Then they've also got to try to appeal to their more conservative base, the anti-immigration "build a Great Wall and deport everyone who speaks Spanish" type folks.

We heard a lot of rhetoric in the past two years about GOP reaching out and connecting to hispanics. But when they have a chance for real action, they defund a significant part of the government in a hardline stance against Obama's immigration action. The hypocrisy is not surprising, but is rather amusing at this point. I look forward to GOP leadership wondering, again, after 2016, 2020, etc why they keep losing national elections. And of course sayin, again, that their little voter conglomerate is friendly toward conservative Christian hispanics. Newsflash, it is most definitely NOT.

Wow, no kidding huh. Glad you seem to know everything except that there is no such thing as a "national election"

The fact of the matter is that GOP effectively shut the government down in 2013, and won the largest majority they've had since 1929 in the next election.

You really don't think the dynamics of elections are different when it's a Presidential election year vs a mid-term?

BTW, you said last year was a national election and now you are chastising me for using the term national election when referring to a POTUS election. That's amusing.

Anyway, the GOP can keep alienating the Hispanic vote which is what threatening to shut down DHS really is about. Time will be the judge as to how effective that continues to be for them. So far, when it comes to the election a President, it hasn't been favorable as the demographics of the nation change. Just as whomever is on the ticket and the strategists are well aware.

Except there is a sizeable population of their constituency that wants the government decreased in size and spending, and not by a small amount. Except military because freedoms and stuff.

Don't disagree, but DHS is not the department to fight with.  Not funding it won't really matter in the short term because all the essential employees will still be working.

Don't disagree, but DHS is not the department to fight with.  Not funding it won't really matter in the short term because all the essential employees will still be working.

You know, I gotta say, if you wanted to start cutting the government, that would be the place to start. The GOP would never touch their precious military contractors, but DHS . . . eh, could be done. And, having worked with the HQ element, there's plenty you could cut.

We heard a lot of rhetoric in the past two years about GOP reaching out and connecting to hispanics. But when they have a chance for real action, they defund a significant part of the government in a hardline stance against Obama's immigration action.

Good post, and their failure to come to some type of compromise with Obama will be their loss long term.

And, to be specific, I am talking about the issue, not the guy that should have lost the Democratic nomination years ago.  I will give credit to the Dems for thinking long term.  I think their immigration policy is too liberal, but is better than the line drawn in the sand the GOP wants.  If the GOP did it right they could win some points on immigration and make Obama compromise by proposing a fair deal that does provide restrictions and not just give them money.

But, the GOP is stupid.

Die DHS Die and take some other departments with you.

When you have at least 50% of the people voting; then you say that's a national election.  Mid-terms usually only get 30% to 40%.  The overwhelming majority of voters sit out mid-terms; which is kind of strange since most the states have elections for governor that year and local affects you more than national.

2010 meant nothing other than they could prevent Obama from doing what he wanted. Same thing with 2014.  If the Republicans keep control of congress and win the presidency next year; then you can say the Repubs won a national election.  I don't see it happening. Odds are they win the presidency but my guess they lose the Senate. 

Also, what national election last year?  The Republicans stood for nothing.  The 33% or so of the people that bothered to vote; were mostly voting against Obama by sending him a message by voting for the Republidiots.  The Republidiots did nothing to convince anyone to vote for them; even among their right wing base.

If I were in charge, I'd 86 DHS. Give all their responsibility back to who had it before they were created.

As it stands, fund the ****ing govt. Then work to cut the pork. And make no mistake, DHS is 100% pork.

You know, I work under the DHS banner.  Not for HQ, but for one of the sub-agencies that was collected under the DHS banner when it was formed.  I can say this much, some of the cross-agency stuff I need to do/coordinate is easier now that the agencies are under one big banner, rather than each run separately.

On a personal note, those talking about dissolving it...so long as you're willing to let the sub-agencies continue to exist, I have no qualms because the folks at HQ annoy me sometimes.  If you want to get rid of everyone, to include ICE, CBP, CIS, etc...then **** you on principle because it's my livelihood.

And as someone pointed out, this will only hurt a small portion of people, myself included.  So many employees of these agencies are uniformed officers working at airports, at immigration centers, etc. and are all considered essential.

Archived