Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Official "DC" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

333 posts in this topic

That Arrow ending last week.

Didn't see that coming. E2 version of her? Although I think Ollie is dead on that earth...

I'm much, much, MUCH more hyped for this Lego Batman movie than I was for Bats vs. Supes. 

1 person likes this

Another Berlanti DC show heading to CW.

I'll watch it..even though I'm more excited about how Arrow has rebounded and worried about Flash this season. Supergirl is still solid and LOT is still pure camp. 

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/black-lightning-the-cw-greg-berlanti-pilot-order-1201977551/

Greg Berlanti’s ‘Black Lightning’ Moves to CW With Pilot Pickup

1 person likes this

Oh ****. I didn't realize some of my favorite posters are in this thread. Maybe ES can still serve a purpose... 

So for the first time in my life I've gotten into comics. I don't know it hasn't happened before (to much background noise) but I'm finally jumping in. I desperately needed something to keep me distracted and sane in these very stupid-as-**** times. So far I love it. I have no ****ing clue what I'm doing though.

Doing research it seems like most of the stuff I'm going to like is going to be DC. I have some classic **** I'm trying to read. Mostly from this list... 

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/01/the-25-comic-books-you-need-to-read-before-you-die/

Down to #21. Skipped the Invisibles.  Just wasn't feeling it. From those, Punisher has been my favorite. Reading Fables now. I have no idea what the consensus is on that. Was worried it was girly but the first issue ended with Snow White's sister bled out in her apartment so I'm sticking with it so far. Is that list any good? 

But besides that, to get more DC specific, in between those, I've been reading Batman. Heard someone on the radio pumping up Scott Snyder (which is how this all started) so I've been focusing on that. Read Zero Year and then Court of Owls. I'm a cheap prick so I just download **** and in those downloads are issues from other series related to the story. So Nightwing, Birds of Prey, Catwoman, Red Hood and the Outlaws, etc etc etc.  Normally just one or two of those but it's a nice look at them.  

So anyways my questions that maybe you all can help me with... 

1) am I doing this right?  Is there a right way? 

2) Why the **** are there three Robins? How do I read about that? Is that even worth going back to read? Or should i just stick with Snyder? 

3) What exactly are the official origins of other characters in this set? When do they start? Like Mr. Freeze is hit on in Court of Owls and Riddler in Zero Year. And the Joker in Zero Year too I think (he was the original Red Hood right?). But what about the others? How are origin stories handled from writer to writer? 

4) Any of other series in there worth checking out on their own? Red Hood and the Outlaws seems kinda cheesy. Ditto Batgirl. Nightwing maybe? 

5) Outside of Batman related characters, who should i check out? (Superman just doesn't appeal to me at all but maybe I'm wrong.) 

Thanks guys. Can't express enough how much I'm enjoying it. I really want to get into this

Theres actually 4 Robins, iirc. I think I have this right. The first Robin was obviously Dick Grayson, then Jason Todd (after Grayson assumes the alias of Nightwing). Tim Drake is next in line after Joker kills Robin #2, and at some point, the role is taken on by Bruce Wayne's son, Damien.

Robin #2's story is pretty interesting as is Robin #4.

1 person likes this

@BornaSkinsFan83 you should watch the animated movie "Under the Red Hood"

also, I think the Joker/Red Hood (different from above) origin first appeared in The Killing Joke graphic novel which is fantastic and you should check out too. 

I don't think there there is a right way because it's been so long and so many artists and writers have taken their own ideas that it's hard to find a single point to begin. 

I've always just tried to find the best stories and from those if something was referenced or a character I didn't know I'd try to find other pieces about those things if they interested me enough. 

For Batman stories, the best of the best are in any order: 

Year One

Arkham Asylum: A serious house on serious earth 

The Long Halloween

The Eye of the Beholder

The Dark Knight Returns

The Last Arkham

The Killing Joke

Knightfall

The Man Who Laughs 

A Death in the Family

1 person likes this

A lot of those are animated movies as well.

There is also a Suicide Squad animated movie too (not that malarky that came out in theaters last summer).

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Theres actually 4 Robins, iirc. I think I have this right. The first Robin was obviously Dick Grayson, then Jason Todd (after Grayson assumes the alias of Nightwing). Tim Drake is next in line after Joker kills Robin #2, and at some point, the role is taken on by Bruce Wayne's son, Damien.

Robin #2's story is pretty interesting as is Robin #4.

Wasn't there a female Robin for a short period of time too?

Edit: My geek rep is intact (from Wiki. Yeah, I know it's Wiki, but for this it's probably okay) 

Stephanie Brown is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics, commonly in association with Batman. The character first appeared in Detective Comics #647 (August 1992) and was created by Chuck Dixon and Tom Lyle.

The daughter of the criminal Cluemaster, the character originated as the amateur crime-fighter named Spoiler. Later, she briefly became the fourth Robin and the third Batgirl. From 2009 to 2011, she was the star of her own ongoing Batgirl comic book series.

Edited by Burgold
1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Wasn't there a female Robin for a short period of time too?

I have no idea.

@BornaSkinsFan83 there is nothing, and I mean nothing, girly about Fables. Yes, the characters are from popular children's stories. But the content of those books is very mature and brutal. I'd recommend at least reading the first graphic novel volume. Which is the investigation into Snow White's sister's bloody murder and read to its conclusion. Reading how that all turned out completely sold me on that series and I own every issue. 

For anyone else who may be interested. Fables is an award winning comic that almost became a live action show on Showtime, but due to that ****ty "Once Upon a Time.." show stealing the writer's idea for Fables, Showtime didn't go forward. The premise is about a small borough in New York called Fabletown. It is magically hidden from regular people, and the Fables escaped to our world after losing a massive war to an Unknown Emperor and his army. So they are here just trying to survive in our world and hoping the Emperor doesn't eventually find them.

Sheriff Bigby Wolf(Big Bad Wolf) is the law in Fabletown, he's best friend is one of the three little pigs. Snow White is the deputy mayor. Prince Charming is a man whore who was once married to Snow, Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella. Pinocchio is a foul-mouthed man in a boy's body. It's superbly written and remains fresh despite going over 100 issues. 

Edited by Gamebreaker
2 people like this

There is a female robin in the Dark Knight Returns too. I don't remember her name though so it could have been the one mentioned above 

9 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

A lot of those are animated movies as well.

Reading those will also feel very familiar to any fan of The Dark Knight trilogy. 

Year One - Batman Begins

Long Halloween, Eye of the Beholder and The Man Who Laughs - The Dark Knight 

Knightfall and The Dark Knight Returns - The Dark Knight Rises. 

Some have scenes and ideas stripped right off the pages but mostly just the interpretation of the characters and some of the plot details 

1 person likes this

If i want to get into Green Arrow, where should I start? Think I can figure out where to go from there, i just don't know how far back to take it

2 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

If i want to get into Green Arrow, where should I start? Think I can figure out where to go from there, i just don't know how far back to take it

The 70s?

Green-Lantern-Green-Arrow.jpg

2 people like this

Eh. **** from the 70's and earlier can be so damn corny. Maybe that's just me though. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 2/4/2017 at 5:46 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

There is a female robin in the Dark Knight Returns too. I don't remember her name though so it could have been the one mentioned above 

Reading those will also feel very familiar to any fan of The Dark Knight trilogy. 

Year One - Batman Begins

Long Halloween, Eye of the Beholder and The Man Who Laughs - The Dark Knight 

Knightfall and The Dark Knight Returns - The Dark Knight Rises. 

Some have scenes and ideas stripped right off the pages but mostly just the interpretation of the characters and some of the plot details 

Yeah, haven't read but I've seen all of them. The Killing Joke and Red Hood are particularly brutal, compared to the earlier movies. Heavy adult themes. Shocking, but ultimately appreciated.

There has never been a more darker animated portrayal  of The Joker than in The Killing Joke. Truly insane.

Oh and the Suicide Squad movie i mentioned is actually called Assault on Arkham. Suicide Squad is the group alias

Edited by Mr. Sinister
1 person likes this

7 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

If you're talking about the CW show, you should just start from the beginning as the first two seasons are the best of that show. 

2 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

If you're talking about the CW show, you should just start from the beginning as the first two seasons are the best of that show. 

3 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

I actually missed the entire first season, but they aired an hour long recap of it and it was awesome, so I started season 2 feeling completely up to speed.  Every show should do that and have a recap show of the season before.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, justice98 said:

I actually missed the entire first season, but they aired an hour long recap of it and it was awesome, so I started season 2 feeling completely up to speed.  Every show should do that and have a recap show of the season before.  

Netflix man.

Daredevil is better btw. Frank Castle is my guy though so i might be biased. 

16 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The 70s?

Btw been meaning to tell you,  I'm currently reading an old Vertigo series called Transmetropolitan. I don't know you off this board but I've known you on it for a decade plus now. Maybe I'm off but from what i know--your sense of humor, politics, etc--that series is absolutely made for you. I'd actually be surprised if you haven't read it. If you haven't though, defintely check it out. (I'll shoot you a DL link if you want) 

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83
1 person likes this